Interview Questions For Next SU AD | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Interview Questions For Next SU AD

I’d sit down with Shafer – get to know him and find out what he’s about and who he is, what are his values, understand his plan and vision. I wouldn’t just willy nilly fire him because he went 4-8; without knowing anything other than the record.

I’d sit down with Shafer – get to know him and find out what he’s about and who he is, what are his values, understand his plan and vision. I wouldn’t just willy nilly fire him because he went 4-8; without knowing anything other than the record.
Why are you ignoring one of the biggest things. SS has 2 years left on his contract. If we go 4-8 this year the AD would have to either extend SS's contract for recruiting purposes or relieve him of his duties.

If we go 4-8 that would be 14-23 for 3 years under SS coming off 25-25 and total rebuild from DM that doesn't warrant extension.

I would bet 4-8 or worse SS is gonzo. 5-7 he could be back depending on the AD. 6-6 or better he deserves an extension.

I have a question do you think he remains the HC after this year without being extended? Say we go 5-7 how do you keep him as HC without an extension and expect him to be able to recruit. That is why he needs to win and be extended or be gone.
Is he on a 4-year or 5-year deal? Unless the guy is a complete bum that warrants firing with cause, or turns out to be a superstar from the get-go, I don't think you can make any decisions about contract extensions until midway through his penultimate season. So if he is on a 5-year contract, I would not expect the AD to extend his contract until we see what the team is doing halfway through his 4th year, next season for us (2016-2017). If the wheels are clearly coming off, then you can think about firing the guy after year 4 if you have the money. If things are puttering along and you think that stability will help, then extend him for three more years, enough to give that year's recruits confidence that the guy will be there for at least four years of their time on the hill. But that extension has to include provisions that make it easier to fire the guy without a huge buyout, because it is a probationary extension. If things are clearly looking up midway through year 4, extend for another five years.

Recruits know the deal. As long as the guy is guaranteed to be there for the first year you are in school, that's all you can reasonably expect. Coaches can bolt for greener pastures at any time. I am not a fan of coaches bailing after kids have signed LOI's, though. That's one wrinkle that will need to be figured out with an early signing period, IMO.

Is he on a 4-year or 5-year deal? Unless the guy is a complete bum that warrants firing with cause, or turns out to be a superstar from the get-go, I don't think you can make any decisions about contract extensions until midway through his penultimate season. So if he is on a 5-year contract, I would not expect the AD to extend his contract until we see what the team is doing halfway through his 4th year, next season for us (2016-2017). If the wheels are clearly coming off, then you can think about firing the guy after year 4 if you have the money. If things are puttering along and you think that stability will help, then extend him for three more years, enough to give that year's recruits confidence that the guy will be there for at least four years of their time on the hill. But that extension has to include provisions that make it easier to fire the guy without a huge buyout, because it is a probationary extension. If things are clearly looking up midway through year 4, extend for another five years.

Recruits know the deal. As long as the guy is guaranteed to be there for the first year you are in school, that's all you can reasonably expect. Coaches can bolt for greener pastures at any time. I am not a fan of coaches bailing after kids have signed LOI's, though. That's one wrinkle that will need to be figured out with an early signing period, IMO.
I believe Scott Shafer signed a 4 year contract for about 1.3-1.4 million per year in January 2013.

If SS was the guy after year 1 he should have had a year tacked onto his contract after the bowl win against Minnesota. We didn't and now he went 3-9 in year two. If we don't go 6-6 how to do you extend the guy with two straight bowl-less season when 70 of 118 FBS schools go bowling each year. If we aren't in the top 67% percentile two years in a row that is a joke. Since this job wasn't a total rebuild when SS took over. He was hired to continue stability. DM went bowling in year 2 and 4 he never missed two years in a row.

SS has to go bowling or be replaced as he has not proven to be an irreplaceable recruiter and thru 2 years hasn't had a decent offense.

I believe Scott Shafer signed a 4 year contract for about 1.3-1.4 million per year in January 2013.

If SS was the guy after year 1 he should have had a year tacked onto his contract after the bowl win against Minnesota. We didn't and now he went 3-9 in year two. If we don't go 6-6 how to do you extend the guy with two straight bowl-less season when 70 of 118 FBS schools go bowling each year. If we aren't in the top 67% percentile two years in a row that is a joke. Since this job wasn't a total rebuild when SS took over. He was hired to continue stability. DM went bowling in year 2 and 4 he never missed two years in a row.

SS has to go bowling or be replaced as he has not proven to be an irreplaceable recruiter and thru 2 years hasn't had a decent offense.
A 4-year deal complicates things, and would have been a bad decision IMO. That would indeed put the evaluation timeframe in this coming season. Do you have a source for that? This article from the aftermath of the Texas Bowl said that the details of his contract were not divulged.

http://www.syracuse.com/orangefootball/index.ssf/2014/01/syracuse_football_coach_scott_11.html

these would not be interview questions.

Would you retain Herman Frazier and Renee Baumgartner?

Would you retain Sue Edson?

Maybe, maybe not.

I suspect that when a new HC is interviewed he is asked whether he will retain any of the former HC's assistants.

But, regardless, as I have said, I was really looking for answers to the questions - not a critique of the questions.

What questions would you ask of the prospective AD?

And what answers to those questions would you give?

A 4-year deal complicates things, and would have been a bad decision IMO. That would indeed put the evaluation timeframe in this coming season. Do you have a source for that? This article from the aftermath of the Texas Bowl said that the details of his contract were not divulged.

http://www.syracuse.com/orangefootball/index.ssf/2014/01/syracuse_football_coach_scott_11.html
There is no article with his contract length I just remember hearing when he was hired it was a 4 year deal. If we wanted to tack on a year after the Texas Bowl that would have been smart.

Would you have convened the meeting that Dr. Gross convened regarding Fab Melo?

Because of the NCAA investigation of the outcome of this meeting, this is a pejorative question. I think that an AD (get feelings about Gross out of the conversation) openly convening a meeting to discuss the academic problems of any athlete and what can be done about it is okay. This is called "brainstorming" and is done by successful companies every day. The rub is to ensure that your actions are above board and meet all compliance standards.

Once again, the OP was not a request for feedback on what questions should be asked or should not be asked.

It was an effort secure points of view on issues that the new AD will likely face.

So, perhaps you took this particular question a bit too literally.

The inquiry is to what extent should the AD be involved in a academic issues facing a particular athlete - should the AD "brainstorm" ways to restore eligibility? Or, should the AD allow only the academic support staff/academic professionals address the issue?

Should the AD think "do I want it on the front page of the Post Standard that I became involved in strategy sessions designed to restore academic eligibility"?

I guess that's what the question was seeking to probe - what the prospective AD feels is appropriate involvement or inappropriate involvement.

And if I were a member of the Board of Trustees I would want to know how the prospective AD views his role in that regard.

So, I don't see it as a pejorative question at all.

You feel that there is nothing wrong with brainstorming the issue.

I am not as certain as you are in that regard.

Once again, the OP was not a request for feedback on what questions should be asked or should not be asked.

It was an effort secure points of view on issues that the new AD will likely face.

So, perhaps you took this particular question a bit too literally.

The inquiry is to what extent should the AD be involved in a academic issues facing a particular athlete - should the AD "brainstorm" ways to restore eligibility? Or, should the AD allow only the academic support staff/academic professionals address the issue?

Should the AD think "do I want it on the front page of the Post Standard that I became involved in strategy sessions designed to restore academic eligibility"?

I guess that's what the question was seeking to probe - what the prospective AD feels is appropriate involvement or inappropriate involvement.

And if I were a member of the Board of Trustees I would want to know how the prospective AD views his role in that regard.

So, I don't see it as a pejorative question at all.

You feel that there is nothing wrong with brainstorming the issue.

I am not as certain as you are in that regard.

I'm sure it's done at some schools more than others (ones with powerful coaches, or powerful boosters). Places like Penn State when Paterno was there, FSU, Alabama, USC, etc. Maybe it's more prevalent than I think. However I think it's pretty dumb when there is an 8 year ongoing investigation looking for something/anything to justify their investigation to serve them that on a silver platter.

My answer: I'm not Dr. Daryl Gross so I cannot put myself in his shoes however I would make it AD policy to treat academic eligibility strictly as an academic issue and DQ the athlete until there was a resolution from an independent body and there would be no pressure from the athletic department other than checking on the progress of the situation.

Wasn't a total rebuild except for losing a record breaking and nfl Qb, record breaking wr, 1000 yard rusher and nfl tackle. And Marrone not having left anything behind them. Yup No rebuild there.

Last edited:
Maybe, maybe not.

I suspect that when a new HC is interviewed he is asked whether he will retain any of the former HC's assistants.

But, regardless, as I have said, I was really looking for answers to the questions - not a critique of the questions.

What questions would you ask of the prospective AD?

And what answers to those questions would you give?

My answers to the employee questions would be - i have no opinion. I don't know who they are or what they do and what they've done. I'd have to review their files and interview them.

Wasn't a total rebuild except for losing record breaking and nfl Qb, record breaking wr, 1000 yard rusher and nfl tackle. And Marrone not having left anything behind them. Yup No rebuild there.
If you want to compare the program in 2013 when Scott Shafer took over to 2009 when Doug Marrone took over that is some serious moving the goal posts crap. I mean its hilarious and honestly not worth having the conservation if your going to make that argument. Doug Marrone took over one of the worst programs in the BCS and brought into the middle of the pack.

Yeah it was a rebuild.

Why are you ignoring one of the biggest things. SS has 2 years left on his contract. If we go 4-8 this year the AD would have to either extend SS's contract for recruiting purposes or relieve him of his duties.

If we go 4-8 that would be 14-23 for 3 years under SS coming off 25-25 and total rebuild from DM that doesn't warrant extension.

after interviewing him and assuming i buy in, I extend him a year, maybe 2.

If you want to compare the program in 2013 when Scott Shafer took over to 2009 when Doug Marrone took over that is some serious moving the goal posts crap. I mean its hilarious and honestly not worth having the conservation if your going to make that argument. Doug Marrone took over one of the worst programs in the BCS and brought into the middle of the pack.

Yeah it was a rebuild.

how cares what marrone inherited and did in 2009. what relevance does that have at all now? so marrone brought a program out of the ashes and then left when he ran out of talent.

Its almost more impressive to me that Shafer went to a bowl the first year with the offensive talent that was left on the roster and Hunt the QB.

how cares what marrone inherited and did in 2009. what relevance does that have at all now? so marrone brought a program out of the ashes and then left when he ran out of talent.

Its almost more impressive to me that Shafer went to a bowl the first year with the offensive talent that was left on the roster and Hunt the QB.
Impressive? We had a stud OL Sean Hickey, Rob Trudo, Macky MacPherson, Nick Robinson and Ivan Foy.

We had Jerome Smith and Prince-Tyson Gulley in a power run offense that was top 40 in the nation and carried the offense. We won 4 conference games in 2013 scoring 24, 13,20, 34 points that isn't recipe for success longterm. There was more talent than you want to admit. We lost Nassib/Lemon and Pugh, but the team wasn't barren.

Shafer's year two was terrible and we have been blown out more times in two years than we did in four years with Marrone. SS has not proven himself worthy of an extension, but if your comfortable with mediocrity give him a 10 year extension.

How would you answer the following?:

Would you have agreed to petition the professor to allow for a grade change one year following the completion of the class, even if it were permitted under University academic rules?

What changes, if any, would you make to the Carrier Dome?

What the Athletic Department's most pressing infrastructure needs at this point?

Would you retain the present Athletic Department Compliance Director?

Would you return the name "Orangemen" to the men's teams and "Orangewomen" to the women's teams?

Would you continue with the Oregon-like uniform approach in football?

What must Scott Shafer do in 2015 to retain his job? What kind of extension would you give him?

Will you honor Mike Hopkins' contract to be the next HC?

What sport would you eliminate and what sport would you add?

To what extent should our athletes receive stipends or additional monetary benefits - should we match say, Ohio State dollar for dollar?
  • Yes.
  • Yes, and I would not only have allowed it, I would have recommended it.
  • No idea, don't know enough about them.
  • No idea, don't know enough about her.
  • Let me see the proposals that have been drawn up and I'll let you know. It seems like a sound structure, apart from the potential roofing problems, which may or may not be overblown. From an outsider's perspective, it seems you have more pressing problems than worrying about a perfectly functional stadium/arena.
  • I want to make sure that every team has the ability to practice during the athletic season, and that there are not collisions. Do we need to build anything new? I don't know. But I don't think teams should have to "wait their turn" to practice.
  • I don't know. Who is it?
  • Yes, because PC is for losers.
  • Is the approach really "Oregon-like"? What exactly do you mean by that? I prefer a stable, classic uniform design that clearly calls out a brand. What are the financial implications of various uniform suppliers' offerings?
  • He's fine unless the wheels fall off. Next year is the judgment year.
  • Let me talk to him first. I've heard some good things, though, and he seems invested.
  • I don't even want to think about adding sports until the finances settle down and the implications of NCAA changes shake out. I'd also want to look at our conference peers to see where we stand with regard to the totality of our sports options. The next couple years are not a great time to be adding sports, IMO.
  • Yes we should. In fact, I think the stipend should be uniform across the entire NCAA, for schools that choose to offer it. This is assuming we retain a "cost of attendance" type of model, and we're not talking about suddenly paying players above the table, and we get into $10K levels of cash.

Wasn't a total rebuild except for losing a record breaking and nfl Qb, record breaking wr, 1000 yard rusher and nfl tackle. And Marrone not having left anything behind them. Yup No rebuild there.
He left a defense that was just as good as it was when he was there, and a young core of offensive lineman who we have done absolutely nothing with. Hickey, Foy, Robinson, and Trudo all had experience as underclassmen and had 2 years together, and 3 of them will be back for a 3rd year. Plus some decent depth Palmer, Miller, and Emerich. RB was fine with PTG, and Smith. TE was fine with Wales but his production fell off a cliff. Same with West at WR. Only thing he didn't leave was a qb. No way was this a rebuild. Not with that OL, which is arguably the most important group of a team.

Our O line and RBs did a solid job in 2013. Didn't add up to a ton of points by any means, but that was because we couldn't throw the damn football. Last year was a disaster all around. Biggest change was that idiotic offense that McD put in, and of course injuries were brutal. If Lester's offense falls flat on it's face and we don't go to a bowl, then HCSS will be fired. New AD + two straight non bowl years= new coach.

I want to know the vision of an AD candidate and what he or she stands for. A good candidate will make sure after the interview that everyone knows exactly what they are all about. They should tell you how they would run the department and what they stand for. They know what the NCAA ruling is and will make sure they address how they will move forward. There is no need to discuss individual people. It's unprofessional and illegal. They wouldn't even want to comment on personnel that's in place or possible moving on. I want to know the process they would want to go through when searching for a coaching position and the kinds of skills they are looking for. Any candidate will do their homework and should really understand the history and direction of the chancelor and what the community wants in this position. Anyone can answer questions with little thought and give you the answer they think you want. A great candidate will provide a vision and the path they want to take to move the athetic program to greater heights.

I will play.

Not knowing all the facts, if the options related to Mr. Melo's academic issue were in accordance to those of any student at Syracuse University, I would indeed convene that meeting. Different schools have different bylaws. In my opinion, while student athletes face numerous additional responsibilities than perhaps the typical enrollee, they are not above being a student first.

Would you have agreed to petition the professor to allow for a grade change one year following the completion of the class, even if it were permitted under University academic rules?

I would need to consult the student handbook and speak to the provost on what rules and bylaws are in place for any and all students at Syracuse University.

Understanding the demands of the position as related to by the Chancellor, the Board of Directors and the trustees, my job is to get a thorough understanding of the landscape, the health and the current operations. I do not see my job as one of "cleaning house" but rather, maintain and promote the excellence of Syracuse University's reputation, brand and experience to alumni, current students and future ones.

Part of that process would be to get to know each and every person. Mr. Frazier and Ms. Baumgartner made career and personal decisions to commit to Syracuse University and we owe them the respect of their accomplishments to assess them thoroughly. I make no guarantees on anything I have not thoroughly assessed with my own eyes and ears.

However, Mr. OrangePA, if the question is to insinuate that they should or should not be retained, I would greatly respect the biases of the current administration as I factor in whether or not I may be the right fit for you an this great school.

See answer above.

What changes, if any, would you make to the Carrier Dome?

The Dome is a unique facility. It is, quite literally, historic in it being the first branded stadium deal and it is rare that a college facility become so synonymous with the college programs that take place in it.

To properly respond to that, I would need to see the operating costs, budgeting, revenue generated and the overall P&L to identify the opportunities and areas to consider further. At (SCHOOL X), I lead the (fundraise/building of, etc. of relatable experience.)

I also need to consult with the Chancellor to properly understand the vision for the University and long-term opportunities that may lie to best determine any changes.

What the Athletic Department's most pressing infrastructure needs at this point?

I do not know the answer to that.

What I can say is that, historically, the University has an excellent reputation. As a private institution, there are numerous advantages and disadvantages that coincide, so any pressing infrastructure change must be assessed versus the needs of the overall University.

But I would offer this. The most pressing need for the department is leadership. Our "friends" in Indianapolis ushered sizable sanctions across multiple programs. The Hall of Fame men's basketball coach was singled out and pointed to. And based on what I read in those 90+ pages, while there was some thing that made me wince - and are things that absolutely are wrong - the allegations that Syracuse University men's basketball program was out of control are simply false.

And yet the media does not study the true facts. The media reports, perhaps sensationalizes, the punishments. Very few people read for the truth, and if they did, perhaps they would find more questions than answers. As I see it, the most pressing issue has nothing to do with infrastructure, but of leadership and the restoration of confidence and pride that Athletics at Syracuse University
Would you retain the present Athletic Department Compliance Director?

Would you return the name "Orangemen" to the men's teams and "Orangewomen" to the women's teams?

F**k yes.

Would you continue with the Oregon-like uniform approach in football?

We are Syracuse University. We need to be and act like Syracuse University, so I don't care what Oregon does. We need to commit to a uniform approach to how we go about outfitting our teams on the field. And while I am old school person at heart, we also live in a world where the Cleveland Browns - the Browns! - perhaps the most traditional member of the most conservative organization on earth came out with nine uniform combinations.

No one should be a chameleon, so doing what everyone else is doing is foolish. But so is doing what you've always done before without being open to change.

What must Scott Shafer do in 2015 to retain his job? What kind of extension would you give him?

Look, we all know 3-9 is not going to cut it on an annualized basis.

But I need to meet Scott Shafer the man. Get a sense of his beliefs, his passions, his approach. His plan to get Syracuse University Football as high in the rankings as they are in the graduation rate, which has been excellent.

We all know of the economic impact football has at for any P5 school. What we have to look at is, do we have the proper support in place to help Scott succeed? Does he have all the nutrients needed for a strong program to grow? It seems that while there have been recent progress to help grow football - ACC, indoor facility - we are in the lower threshold in many economic areas to support the program OTHER than absorbing the cost of a valued scholarship for 85 young men to receive a wonderful, private education at Syracuse.

As such, I am not comfortable saying Scott needs X amount of wins in 2015. I want to understand the program, the man, talk to alumni and see what great things can be accomplished on and off the field this season.

Will you honor Mike Hopkins' contract to be the next HC?

If I am the Athletic Director at any school, I would need the ability to make the decision on the coaches.

What sport would you eliminate and what sport would you add?

I don't think the discussion on what to eliminate and what to add is the way I look at Athletics. I believe in looking at the totality of the department, it's relationship and role to the Syracuse University community, understand the financial realities across the board...and then eventually perhaps get to a sport-by-sport, by gender, assessment. Do that now without doing the prior is, to me, jumping the gun.

To what extent should our athletes receive stipends or additional monetary benefits - should we match say, Ohio State dollar for dollar?

I am old school. I believe the ability to get an incredible education at a great school for free along with the academic offerings like tutoring and the opportunity to play sports at the highest level is worth a lot.

That said, I walked into Manny's earlier and saw various student-athlete jerseys for sale. Who does that benefit? Does the student-athlete benefit from a 9pm EST Monday night game on the road at Georgia Tech?

I know most of the P5 athletic directors and we all look around and say "Where does it end? How is the cost at a Tennessee 4.5x more than a Syracuse or a Boston College?" So while the reality is I would not pay student-athletes, the issue is indeed bigger than Syracuse University and we need to stay admit the conversation with the peers. Being old school in spirit, but progressive to not lose ground on the reality is one of the most challenging issues any athletic director faces.

WHY DO YOU CARE SO MUCH ABOUT UNIFORMS!!!

Bigger point is if SU actually takes the time to ask a potential AD in a formal interview about "uniforms"...then every quality candidate will look at this search committee like they are nuts and go running from this job. And SU will be stuck scraping the bottom of the barrel for an AD.

For the love of god the "uniforms" are not a pressing issue for SU Athletics these days. They just got new ones for crying out loud, case is closed.

This would be a weird interview! Lots of yes no questions.

Very weird. Especially for a high level position. The questions must be more in depth and for the love of god you wouldn't ask him to make statements on people he may fire or set benchmarks for guys to meet or else they are fired without the AD meeting the actual coach and diving into the situation. Asking an outsider and someone who hasn't been around the situation to answer a question like that is very unprofessional and downright foolish/silly.

Do you care about what you wear to work?

It's not close to the same.

Does my neighbor care about what I wear to work? If the answer is no, perfect. If the answer is yes, it still doesn't change anything because it's whether or not I like what I'm wearing. All he does is see me leave my driveway every day.