Introduction to Red: Same Family, New Era. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Introduction to Red: Same Family, New Era.

I've never seen Red play basketball before last night and now I'm jealous of everyone that got to watch it live. Man, those teams looked fun and that was just clips in an 8 minute video.

Not hard to see why he wants to play up and down. I think we are going to have lots of fun.
Early career Red, I think had some similarities to early career Brandon Triche - big strong guard who plays a steady all around game and is a nice 4th/5th option.

But he got a lot better. Junior year became one of the better PG’s in the Big East, and senior year I think was one of the better PG’s in the country.

My favorite Autry moment was him putting an exclamation point on a great win over a loaded UConn team with the steal and and 1 and the celebration after.

If you haven't seen him play - find the Kentucky game where he literally just overpowered every guy on their team. I think Travis Ford tried to guard him and pretty much every guy on their team.

Also his 2nd half against Missouri in the NCAA Tournament is the best half of basketball I have ever seen played by a Syracuse player and I'm not a kid - I remember Rudy Hackett.

Came across this pic of Red and his new recruits for his 1st season as HC...
Screenshot_20230929-223815_Instagram.jpg

The portal is and will be our friend! LGO!

4 portals and 1 frosh.

Early career Red, I think had some similarities to early career Brandon Triche - big strong guard who plays a steady all around game and is a nice 4th/5th option.

But he got a lot better. Junior year became one of the better PG’s in the Big East, and senior year I think was one of the better PG’s in the country.

My favorite Autry moment was him putting an exclamation point on a great win over a loaded UConn team with the steal and and 1 and the celebration after.
Based on the quality of that video, I graduated high school in the dark ages.

Came across this pic of Red and his new recruits for his 1st season as HC...
View attachment 231735
The portal is and will be our friend! LGO!

4 portals and 1 frosh.

That's a serious upgrade in athleticism. I hope everyone stays healthy, and that the majority of them play to the best of their abilities. Not everybody is going to shine, but if enough of them do, this should be a pretty, pretty good team.

If you haven't seen him play - find the Kentucky game where he literally just overpowered every guy on their team. I think Travis Ford tried to guard him and pretty much every guy on their team.

Also his 2nd half against Missouri in the NCAA Tournament is the best half of basketball I have ever seen played by a Syracuse player and I'm not a kid - I remember Rudy Hackett.
I'm not a kid either and I agree, that 2nd half was definitely one of the best I've seen by a Cuse guard. He did not want that to be his last game in an Orange uni. G-Mac vs BYU in the tourney is another good one, He was the only reason we won that game.

That is straight fire ! Best video Cuse athletics has ever put out IMO. Love what Red is doing with the program and the kids…it’s about way more than basketball. When you instill that mindset into young athletes it creates a culture of winning that is sustainable. I’ll admit I was one who wanted Cuse to bring in someone from the outside, but I will say I am so pumped for the direction of the program. Fingers crossed that Red can coach, because he is certainly a leader of young men and someone the players and other coaches have obviously rallied around and believe in!

That was fantastic! Kudos to the job they did on this and the series. This team is going to play hard and they will do it together. Gerry said it best “you can’t cheat this” and I think it’s pretty apparent how much everyone is putting into this to create a great team in more ways than one

That is straight fire ! Best video Cuse athletics has ever put out IMO. Love what Red is doing with the program and the kids…it’s about way more than basketball. When you instill that mindset into young athletes it creates a culture of winning that is sustainable. I’ll admit I was one who wanted Cuse to bring in someone from the outside, but I will say I am so pumped for the direction of the program. Fingers crossed that Red can coach, because he is certainly a leader of young men and someone the players and other coaches have obviously rallied around and believe in!

Interesting to me that they didn't play up his individual record a bit more. But an excellent "Feel Good" piece about who our new guy is.

It's maybe asking too much too soon, but if we win 2 or 3 games at Maui, and the conference challenge game, suddenly this team is right back in the regular conversation again.

Interesting to me that they didn't play up his individual record a bit more. But an excellent "Feel Good" piece about who our new guy is.

I'm not sure I would call it a feel good piece honestly. It was factual and to the point of what he is about and what he wants for the kids and program. Not to mention don't tell me there is a parent that is turned off by watching something like that. It's real.

Like a PG he is out there in the middle of it all in practices. Can't wait for the curtains to go up.

Great series.

He's an impressive guy, hard to envision him not succeeding.

Red has won the offseason, that's for sure. If he's 1/10th the coach in terms of how impressive he is with the off-the-court stuff, not hard to see him turning this thing around.

An observation. This series on Red, and the story on Gerry, we’re great. I think if SU fans, in general, had known who these guys are, there would have been a lot less angst about an internal hire. (I really wanted a new voice. Seems like the team wanted this voice.)

Red is a basketball lifer. A PG who has made choices for the team during the ebb and flow of games. As long as the prep work is solid, I think he will be fine on the bench and SU will be good.

We couldn't ask for a better person to coach Syracuse Basketball. As impressive as Red is Gmac was equally impressive in his articulation of what Syracuse Basketball stands for and most importantly of his support, praise and respect of Red. I hope that Red and his staff crush it. Hats off to Jim for creating such a wonderful group of men, for our Basketball family and also to JW for keeping it in the family.
This year will be a challenge for sure. One filled with highs and lows.
Within 3 years i believe that we will be back chasing sweet sixteen and better years.

We couldn't ask for a better person to coach Syracuse Basketball. As impressive as Red is Gmac was equally impressive in his articulation of what Syracuse Basketball stands for and most importantly of his support, praise and respect of Red. I hope that Red and his staff crush it. Hats off to Jim for creating such a wonderful group of men, for our Basketball family and also to JW for keeping it in the family.
This year will be a challenge for sure. One filled with highs and lows.
Within 3 years i believe that we will be back chasing sweet sixteen and better years.

Nice post! The only thing I will take issue with is the "three years" part. I think we'll be back sooner than that. Maybe not this year - but maybe it could be.

In any event, last spring I took a historical look at SU's basketball coaches & their records. In our entire ~120 year history, we have had back-to-back losing seasons only once (60 years ago), and the coach was fired.

Every other time we have had a coaching change, we have returned to ~70% winning basketball within one or two years, at the longest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom