Iommi deserves a LOT of credit for his observations about how good Sidibe is | Syracusefan.com

Iommi deserves a LOT of credit for his observations about how good Sidibe is

RF2044

Living Legend
Iommi saw Sidibe play live numerous times in high school, and reported that [1] Bourama was going to surprise a lot of fans, [2] that he has a terrific feel for the game, and [3] that he was prepared coming in to make a splash as a function of the high level of competition he faced at the HS level.

Obviously, the nagging injuries have held him back. And I get that he was playing against a lousy Pitt team today, but this kid is for real.

Sky is the limit -- no exaggeration. If this kid is in Orange as a junior, he is going to be dominant. Still believe that the kid has an NBA future.

Iommi saw Sidibe play live numerous times in high school, and reported that [1] Bourama was going to surprise a lot of fans, [2] that he has a terrific feel for the game, and [3] that he was prepared coming in to make a splash as a function of the high level of competition he faced at the HS level.

Obviously, the nagging injuries have held him back. And I get that he was playing against a lousy Pitt team today, but this kid is for real.

Sky is the limit -- no exaggeration. If this kid is in Orange as a junior, he is going to be dominant. Still believe that the kid has an NBA future.
I know Iommi has been on the Howard Washington bandwagon as well. Let's hope he is 2 for 2. Sidibe was a sight for sore eyes today. Pitt had no one to compete with him. And Washington looked good in his limited opportunities today as well.

Anybody that's watched him this year should realize he has a great feel for the game, especially converting buckets. He doesn't really have any moves but he knows how to put the ball through the net. That's something Chukwu has no feel for.

If he were healthy, he'd be our main C.

maxresdefault.jpg

I know Iommi has been on the Howard Washington bandwagon as well. Let's hope he is 2 for 2. Sidibe was a sight for sore eyes today. Pitt had no one to compete with him. And Washington looked good in his limited opportunities today as well.

Just watch the game. Washington, when he can get some minutes, is poised. He's not overmatched at all. Both of these kids need to play. Our prospects are MUCH better with an 8 man rotation. Fact.

HW had one of the great SU passes in the last few years today. Saved a turnover mid passing motion.

Have you A Like for two reasons.
  1. You're right!
  2. That's the first time I've seen "dominant" spelled correctly on this board in the last three years!

Well said.

The biggest flaw I continue to see from HW is on defense when being screened. He continually went under the screener whereas Frank and Tyus show better awareness of the screener and slide above it. That puts them in better position to defend the 3 but also keeps the help defender from needing to flash up to defend the 3, which creates a wide open opportunity for another 3 from the help defenders zone.

Yes, it was great to hear iommi's observations. But for me they were put in the context of a reporter/supporter of the player and could certainly be of an optimistic slant. And, IMO, that type of bias did show in Howard Washington. When iommi claimed that HW and his family were expecting big minutes in HW's frosh year, and he seemed to believe them, I felt iommi's interactions clouded his outlook.

My optimism for Sid preseason was enhanced when moqui seconded iommi's thoughts.

HW had one of the great SU passes in the last few years today. Saved a turnover mid passing motion.
I assume you are talking about the bounce pass to the corner for an open three?

That was a fantastic pass. Definitely one of the best passes we've seen since Rautins was throwing quarter court bounce passes.

Kudos to Iommi for his insight. He's one of the guys that make this place THE place to be. There are a lot of others that contribute analysis & inside information or hints as well. I'm sure there are other similar conglomerations of good analysts & insiders on websites here and there, but Syracusefan.com and its partners are competitive. I've been to a lot of other boards that have nothing...nothing. Thank you Iommi for being engaged here...and thanks to the many others here that contribute so meaningfully, including RF2044. You guys make this fun...

Yep. He was a good find. Saw glimpses of this early in the season, but nothing that fortold yesterday's performance.

Let's hope his knees feel good this morning.

He has much more offensive upside than PC.

I assume you are talking about the bounce pass to the corner for an open three?

That was a fantastic pass. Definitely one of the best passes we've seen since Rautins was throwing quarter court bounce passes.
Yes. I could not believe it. And from a freshman. I was wowed.