Iowa 24, Minnesota 0 | Syracusefan.com

Iowa 24, Minnesota 0

Don

2nd String
Iowa is punishing the Gophers and making them look very mediocre. just killing them on the line of scrimmage

Iowa is punishing the Gophers and making them look very mediocre. just killing them on the line of scrimmage

Not surprising honestly Minnesota isnt that good and last week we were even worse. Just makes the Pitt game that much bigger.

yes stony brook is a FCS school in name only and has two of the best running backs in the country. I think Northwestern is a pretty good team as well, Minnesota is not

Everybody say it with me. The transitive property does not work in college football. That said, anybody who watched the Minnesota game knows that they are going to lose a LOt of games this year. We missed a huge opportunity last week with 4 turnovers.

one frustrating thing for me with Minny, and we're seeing it now with Iowa, is they're just running it down their throats. We did to in the first and then we got cute with some bizarre down and distance play calling.

Jerome Smith had 6 carries for 52 yards in the first half against Minny and then only carried 3 times in the second half for 0 yards. And those 3 carries were the goal line series. I thought we should have run the ball more and took advantage of the way Smith was tearing them up.

For some reason we went away from the run and my feeling was the staff was starting to panic and felt we needed to throw the ball. A lot of those 3 and outs were from passing to much, we had too many 3rd and longs from what I remember.

Everybody say it with me. The transitive property does not work in college football. That said, anybody who watched the Minnesota game knows that they are going to lose a LOt of games this year. We missed a huge opportunity last week with 4 turnovers.

Agree with you on the transitive property especially as the season wears on.

But seeing this so quickly after our game doesn't make me feel so great.

Agree with you on the transitive property especially as the season wears on.

But seeing this so quickly after our game doesn't make me feel so great.

Well how about Northwestern's performance or Stony Brook beating a I-A team?

I think the bottom line is that we all know that we missed a huge opportunity last weekend to beat a lesser team. I think that's why the board reacted so harshly (and rightfully so). I think HCDM knows the same thing, hence his beatdown of himself over the last week. He knows we basically handed a mediocre/bad team a W.

I stated numerous times in the "Is the Minny game a must win?" thread at least half a dozen times how bad Minny was ... and after seeing us lose to them my opinion hadn't changed ... like I said if Minny goes 4-0 in OOC games then rolls up an 0fer in the B1G then nothing has changed over the last few seasons ... and it appears that while they might not roll an 0fer they are going to get roughed up in conference play.

Well how about Northwestern's performance or Stony Brook beating a I-A team?

I think the bottom line is that we all know that we missed a huge opportunity last weekend to beat a lesser team. I think that's why the board reacted so harshly (and rightfully so). I think HCDM knows the same thing, hence his beatdown of himself over the last week. He knows we basically handed a mediocre/bad team a W.

I'm not arguing with you. Just sucks to see a team that basically controlled the game against us last week come out the next week and be out gained 328 to 75 to another mid level team.

College football is one of those sports. Emotions can rule the day and make a team look like it's using completely different players from one week to the next. Just a bit deflating to see that happen so quickly to Minnesota. But yes, NW looks great.

No, but here is what it does say: We still play to the level of our opponent.

I can't get my around why this is.

44cuse

I'm not arguing with you. Just sucks to see a team that basically controlled the game against us last week come out the next week and be out gained 328 to 75 to another mid level team.

College football is one of those sports. Emotions can rule the day and make a team look like it's using completely different players from one week to the next. Just a bit deflating to see that happen so quickly to Minnesota. But yes, NW looks great.

I'm not going to defend our level of play but matchups also play a huge part in how some of these games play out ... I mean we layed the wood to WVU last season because in certain areas we were just a real bad matchup for them based on schemes and style of play. Then WVU goes out just destroys Clemson, a team we would have probably lost to by two scores last season ... that is the beauty of college football.

I'm not going to defend our level of play but matchups also play a huge part in how some of these games play out ... I mean we layed the wood to WVU last season because in certain areas we were just a real bad matchup for them based on schemes and style of play. Then WVU goes out just destroys Clemson, a team we would have probably lost to by two scores last season ... that is the beauty of college football.

And each game is a long game. Minnesota appears to have woken up a bit.

Gophers look pretty weak. Getting beaten on both side of the los. How the hell did we lose to them? Oh yeah, 4 turnovers.

No, but here is what it does say: We still play to the level of our opponent.

I can't get my around why this is.

44cuse
well thats what mid level teams do. iowa lost to cent mich last week at home last week and is dominating today

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

well thats what mid level teams do. iowa lost to cent mich last week at home last week and is dominating today

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Because other teams do it doesn't tell me why it happens.

44cuse

one frustrating thing for me with Minny, and we're seeing it now with Iowa, is they're just running it down their throats. We did to in the first and then we got cute with some bizarre down and distance play calling.

Jerome Smith had 6 carries for 52 yards in the first half against Minny and then only carried 3 times in the second half for 0 yards. And those 3 carries were the goal line series. I thought we should have run the ball more and took advantage of the way Smith was tearing them up.

For some reason we went away from the run and my feeling was the staff was starting to panic and felt we needed to throw the ball. A lot of those 3 and outs were from passing to much, we had too many 3rd and longs from what I remember.

Excellent point Phat about Jerome Smith, I was going to post the same thing in a new thread on Hackett and play calling. We did the same thing against Stony Brook, Smith had 6 carries for nearly 60 yards in the first quarter* and then he didnt carry again until after halftime. We seem to have this desire not to ride the hot hand.

Gophers look pretty weak. Getting beaten on both side of the los. How the hell did we lose to them? Oh yeah, 4 turnovers.

This time they had the four turnovers, (and Iowa none).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom