Irony of ESPN | Syracusefan.com

Irony of ESPN

DomeStranger

All Conference
Just got done watching Gottleib break down our game tonight. It was a good breakdown and well done. Gottleib had great things to say about SU and some intelligent analysis. Highlighted the fact Scoop has a 6-1 Assist/TO Ratio in the past 4 games.

I think it's ironic that when were #1 all the media is trying to tear us down and dispute us being there which may be partly as we took #1 by default almost. Now were #4 and ESPN and Gottleib are treating us like were the number one team in the land.

I don't get it ... either our team convinced some media folks today (after it failed to do so after 7 weeks) how good they are. Or maybe ESPN is trying to prop us up a bit because it knows we got hosed by falling to #4 in their poll.

ESPN to SU ... we don't want you #1, but your better than #4 ... OK?

Just got down watching Gottleib break down our game tonight. It was a good breakdown and well done. Gottleib had great things to say about SU and some intelligent analysis. Highlighted the fact Scoop has a 6-1 Assist/TO Ratio in the past 4 games.

I think it's ironic that when were #1 all the media is trying to tear us down and dispute us being there which may be partly as we took #1 by default almost. Now were #4 and ESPN and Gottleib are treating us like were the number one team in the land.

I don't get it ... either our team convinced some media folks today (after it failed to do so after 7 weeks) how good they are. Or maybe ESPN is trying to prop us up a bit because it knows we got hosed by falling to #4 in their poll.

ESPN to SU ... we don't want you #1, but your better than #4 ... OK?

I watched it too and was stunned that we got that much air time and a separate segment.

I cant even count how many times today on ESPN ive heard analysts and personalities questioning how on earth did we fall to 4.

ESPN was in a very awkward situation. They were the ones who introduced the nation to the Bernie Fine scandal. If not for ESPN, the Bernie Fine scandal would not have happened since the statue of limitations had passed and nobody would have gave those 2 a platform to speak nationally.

Then the very team they nearly brought down became #1 team in the country for 6 weeks. Understand the awkwardness? ESPN was in a very unusual position, literally begging for us to lose so they wouldn't be forced to pimp us up, so soon after making our lives hell. Now we lost and they can treat us like a very good team less conspicuously. Just not like THE team.

I guarantee you that nobody doing the polls really wanted us to be #1. We forced their hands and they were just waiting for us to lose so they can drop us. Bernie Fine is a bigger story this year than Syracuse being good. Believe it or not but our team still leaves a bad taste in people's mouths. A lot less people are rooting for us than we think.

I watched it too and was stunned that we got that much air time and a separate segment.

The amount of air time was a result of the Syracuse and Kansas games literally being the only games last night. Very strange for a Monday. Great to see though

ESPN was in a very awkward situation. They were the ones who introduced the nation to the Bernie Fine scandal. If not for ESPN, the Bernie Fine scandal would not have happened since the statue of limitations had passed and nobody would have gave those 2 a platform to speak nationally.

Then the very team they nearly brought down became #1 team in the country for 6 weeks. Understand the awkwardness? ESPN was in a very unusual position, literally begging for us to lose so they wouldn't be forced to pimp us up, so soon after making our lives hell. Now we lost and they can treat us like a very good team less conspicuously. Just not like THE team.

I guarantee you that nobody doing the polls really wanted us to be #1. We forced their hands and they were just waiting for us to lose so they can drop us. Bernie Fine is a bigger story this year than Syracuse being good. Believe it or not but our team still leaves a bad taste in people's mouths. A lot less people are rooting for us than we think.
Are you talking about ESPN or people in general because I dont know one person who associates Syracuse with the Bernie Fine scandal anymore.

Why are our fans so sensitive to this?

ESPN has a genuine interest in our brand. Their on air personalities never tried to knock us down, they just voiced legitimate concerns that some of our fans didn't like. They questioned whether we were the best team. They never really thought we were outside of the top 3 and now we are 4 after one loss. They really have been consistent.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Are you talking about ESPN or people in general because I dont know one person who associates Syracuse with the Bernie Fine scandal anymore.
I agree ... other than the usual, "... despite the turmoil... " comment the issue seems to have died at least relative to the team itself.

As far as ESPN and announcers go I was gratified that several announcers were "shocked" that SU had dropped to 4th from 1st and made appropriate comments as such ... they did keep mentioning that the polls were nothing but "snapshots" suggesting that at the end SU will be there ...some SU love??

Read ESPN's rankings breakdown yesterday. I think 2 grafs reference the scandal when there is quite literally no reason on Earth as to how it's relevant.

When will we see all the stories about UK's weaknesses? Is UK really #1?

The amount of air time was a result of the Syracuse and Kansas games literally being the only games last night. Very strange for a Monday. Great to see though
Absolutely right.
This is the ONLY reason we got so much air time.
(After all, how much time can you spend on Towson's 40th straight loss)?
And ESPN's coverage of our games has nothing at all to do with Bernie Fine.

It's all about the over rated/ under rated mentality.

If people think you're over rated, they'll try to tear you down.

Now we're clearly under rated, so everyone will be trying to build us up.

The mind set is that Kentucky is 1, OSU is 2, and now that UNC lost some games and lost a guy, we are 3. Mizzou is the over rated one who everyone thinks will eventually drop.

Personally, from this point forward, I don't care if we're #1 again this (regular) season (though I won't complain if we are). We've established our credentials as a 1 seed already, we've had the fun about being ranked 1, so now it's all about making that run for the title.

Here is how ESPN works. Whatever they are airing IS the top story that day. You see why they don't give hockey any airtime? Because they don't own hockey game rights. College basketball gets more pimping from now until March, as football goes away. The only things you will see on ESPN are college and pro hoop highlights. Has less to do with SU and more to do with what ESPN is airing that night.

I'm with you, o-men. The 1 seed is the key, and they already have the inside track on one of the 4. And if Fab comes back, they have the best shot at the overall 1.

Good point, though. Sports today is all about being sensational. There's no rational, middle ground. It's all "overrated vs underrated" and "hated player vs loved player" and "elite QB vs toilet bowl QB" etc etc.

ESPN guys just want their faces to be on TV and will say anything to make it happen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom