Random Positives From Yesterday | Syracusefan.com

Random Positives From Yesterday

Nicknack

All Conference
Since there are already a lot of posts/comments about the things we did wrong yesterday, here are a few positives I noticed...

- LOVED Melo wearing The ORANGEMEN hat. We will always be Orangemen and Orangewomen to me.

- Also LOVED the few minutes when Boeheim was on the telecast giving his impressions of the team and game. It reminded me some of Bobby Knight where he educates and informs while talking about the game. I could have had him commentating the whole game, it was great. The only issue was him pronouncing Oregon, Oregone. I used to live there, so that's nails on a chalkboard.

- JT did a lot of good things yesterday. He's been getting murdered on this board lately (and I've been very critical of him as well), so I want to shine some light on some really positive things he did against Notre Dame. Aside from finally getting some baskets, he did some things that don't show up on the box score. Early in the game, there was one play where he forced Notre Dame to turn the ball over. He didn't get the steal, but disrupted their offense which led to a turnover. Another play a couple minutes later, while on offense, he kept the ball alive and helped us get another possession. He didn't get the rebound, but was active and got his hands on the ball which got to a teammate. We scored on that possession. If he could get his 3pt shot back, he really could turn into a very good player for us. I think he will (but unfortunately it probably won't happen this year). Still, I like much of his play from yesterday.

- Red getting in Bell's face and sitting him to teach and demand something different from him. That said, he made his point and then got Bell back into the game - no need to excessively punish the kid. It looked well done on Red's part. He's showing he won't accept certain things and will sit guys or boot them if need be to play Cuse ball. I think Red's doing a pretty good job with this team, considering being in a challenging spot in this transition.

- Some of Brown's passes were outright nasty. 5 assists yesterday. He is such a good player for us. Love Maliq. 14 points, 7 rebounds, 5 assists, 2 blocks, 1 steal. He just does a little of everything out there for us.

- When they started the game yesterday, the dome looked awesome. It looked like attendance was strong and there was a lot of energy. Great to see!

- Chris Bell is showing that he could be (or is) an elite shooter. 4 out of 5 from 3pt yesterday, another 80% performance! The last five games he is shooting 53.8% from 3. Let me say that again, 53.8%!! He is now 42.7% for the year. This is huge as we really needed this kind of production from him. It was also great to see him moving to get his shot off AND being able to make a 3 with someone in his face.

- Late in the game, it was just fantastic to see us hit some critical free throws while Notre Dame missed on the front end of two one and one opportunities. Those were killers for Notre Dame as they came away with nothing twice. Really big for us.

- Yeah, we were outrebounded 30-25, but we forced them into 17 turnovers while only giving up 7 on our end. Also, 10 steals and 4 blocks really helped create havoc for Notre Dame.

- I was happy to see Red give Cuffe extended minutes. When he first came in, he looked shaky. He didn't get off to a very good start but Red stayed with him. Cuffe seemed to settle down and gave us some good minutes. I think this young man could be really good for us next year but just needs more time on the court. Good to see it happened yesterday.

- Copeland with 5 assists and only one turnover. Also pulled down 4 boards and two steals. This all in 17 minutes.

- Mintz finished with 21 points and made some critical free throws (6-7 from the line).

- We shot 44% from 3 yesterday as a team. Good number to land on.

- I like our chances of finishing strong. Just need to beat VTech on Tuesday and then we can talk about getting two more on the road. This team is competing and believes they're ncaa tournament worthy. Who knows, maybe we will be when the dust settles.

There are two ways of looking at life. Hoping for the best, then coping if it doesn’t happen. Or anticipating the worst, then being pleasantly surprised. I wonder if this is a gender thing? Do more women have the attitude of the former, and men the latter? I am sure that’s not true in all cases. I think men prefer to be critical so they don’t look stupid. Do women care as much about looking stupid? I know I don’t. I’m always telling stories on myself. :rolleyes:

My life is not good at the moment and the foreseeable future. If I couldn’t see good coming from bad I don’t know how I would function. For me, basketball is a microcosm of that world view. Since most of you are men, I wonder what you think?

There are two ways of looking at life. Hoping for the best, then coping if it doesn’t happen. Or anticipating the worst, then being pleasantly surprised. I wonder if this is a gender thing? Do more women have the attitude of the former, and men the latter? I am sure that’s not true in all cases. I think men prefer to be critical so they don’t look stupid. Do women care as much about looking stupid? I know I don’t. I’m always telling stories on myself. :rolleyes:

My life is not good at the moment and the foreseeable future. If I couldn’t see good coming from bad I don’t know how I would function. For me, basketball is a microcosm of that world view. Since most of you are men, I wonder what you think?
Good luck with getting your life back to the good side.
I don't think being critical has anything to do with not looking stupid. Being critical or wrong or way off base does not make one look smart at all.
Again, I am wishing you good luck sooner than later.

It's an interesting topic. I don't think pessimism/optimism is gender related. I have female friends that are as critical and emotional about sports as any men.
I tend to be optimistic about SU sports, but my wife often watches in another room, because i get "too involved" in the games and it stresses her out.

Edit: I am sending optimistic thoughts to you!

Since there are already a lot of posts/comments about the things we did wrong yesterday, here are a few positives I noticed...

- LOVED Melo wearing The ORANGEMEN hat. We will always be Orangemen and Orangewomen to me.

- Also LOVED the few minutes when Boeheim was on the telecast giving his impressions of the team and game. It reminded me some of Bobby Knight where he educates and informs while talking about the game. I could have had him commentating the whole game, it was great. The only issue was him pronouncing Oregon, Oregone. I used to live there, so that's nails on a chalkboard.

- JT did a lot of good things yesterday. He's been getting murdered on this board lately (and I've been very critical of him as well), so I want to shine some light on some really positive things he did against Notre Dame. Aside from finally getting some baskets, he did some things that don't show up on the box score. Early in the game, there was one play where he forced Notre Dame to turn the ball over. He didn't get the steal, but disrupted their offense which led to a turnover. Another play a couple minutes later, while on offense, he kept the ball alive and helped us get another possession. He didn't get the rebound, but was active and got his hands on the ball which got to a teammate. We scored on that possession. If he could get his 3pt shot back, he really could turn into a very good player for us. I think he will (but unfortunately it probably won't happen this year). Still, I like much of his play from yesterday.

- Red getting in Bell's face and sitting him to teach and demand something different from him. That said, he made his point and then got Bell back into the game - no need to excessively punish the kid. It looked well done on Red's part. He's showing he won't accept certain things and will sit guys or boot them if need be to play Cuse ball. I think Red's doing a pretty good job with this team, considering being in a challenging spot in this transition.

- Some of Brown's passes were outright nasty. 5 assists yesterday. He is such a good player for us. Love Maliq. 14 points, 7 rebounds, 5 assists, 2 blocks, 1 steal. He just does a little of everything out there for us.

- When they started the game yesterday, the dome looked awesome. It looked like attendance was strong and there was a lot of energy. Great to see!

- Chris Bell is showing that he could be (or is) an elite shooter. 4 out of 5 from 3pt yesterday, another 80% performance! The last five games he is shooting 53.8% from 3. Let me say that again, 53.8%!! He is now 42.7% for the year. This is huge as we really needed this kind of production from him. It was also great to see him moving to get his shot off AND being able to make a 3 with someone in his face.

- Late in the game, it was just fantastic to see us hit some critical free throws while Notre Dame missed on the front end of two one and one opportunities. Those were killers for Notre Dame as they came away with nothing twice. Really big for us.

- Yeah, we were outrebounded 30-25, but we forced them into 17 turnovers while only giving up 7 on our end. Also, 10 steals and 4 blocks really helped create havoc for Notre Dame.

- I was happy to see Red give Cuffe extended minutes. When he first came in, he looked shaky. He didn't get off to a very good start but Red stayed with him. Cuffe seemed to settle down and gave us some good minutes. I think this young man could be really good for us next year but just needs more time on the court. Good to see it happened yesterday.

- Copeland with 5 assists and only one turnover. Also pulled down 4 boards and two steals. This all in 17 minutes.

- Mintz finished with 21 points and made some critical free throws (6-7 from the line).

- I like our chances of finishing strong. Just need to beat VTech on Tuesday and then we can talk about getting two more on the road. This team is competing and believes they're ncaa tournament worthy. Who knows, maybe we will be when the dust settles.
Glad you covered JTs contribution. I didn't see the game but followed the box score and he seemed more engaged, within the flow according to his stats. He's still the kid who scored 25 against Bryant, and I agree he'll get there again

In my humble opinion, the most accurate, post in a long while! I'm feeling good about JT. He's hanging in there and battling. Never give up on these guys.

Oh and to this day, I still say Oregone. I'm sticking with coach on this one, even though it's dead wrong and I'm foolish. Coach knows his stuff :)

I've always been a 'hope for the best and expect the worst' person. I've found that it buffers the disappointments, in sports and life. I think it has served me well.

I admire people who have an optimistic attitude. I just wonder if the disappointments hit them harder.

I appreciate the positive post Nicknack.

I consider Beadle to be a syracusefan treasure and wish her nothing but the best.

I'll add to the random positives...

I had an artisan detroit-style pizza yesterday with pepperoni, bacon, and hot honey drizzle.

It was off the hook.

Honey sauce ain't just for biscuits...

I've always been a 'hope for the best and expect the worst' person. I've found that it buffers the disappointments, in sports and life. I think it has served me well.

I admire people who have an optimistic attitude. I just wonder if the disappointments hit them harder.

I appreciate the positive post Nicknack.

I consider Beadle to be a syracusefan treasure and wish her nothing but the best.
Thank you, Bevo. I will survive. For me, the interim feeling before some kind of outcome happens is worth the optimism. I feel more peaceful and cheerful. The disappointment does not hit me harder, although that’s hard to assess. How would I know? I yam what I yam.

Just returned from the women’s game. A clutch victory at the end! I assumed they would make a comeback and they did. :)

Our most balanced scoring effort of the year is one of my positive takeaways. 5ish players with 10 plus points, gotta love it.

Very good post. This team is far from perfect but they are 15-3 in games decided by 12 points or less. The last two games are perfect examples of a team that can win down the stretch. Hopefully they get 20 wins in the regular season.

I am a male optimist, which is why I avoid coming here after a loss and having to deal with the pessimists. Best wishes to you.

I’m male and think both things at the same time - they are not mutually exclusive to me.

I don't think it's so much a gender thing as it is topical. My wife talks about things she sees on social media about women tearing each other apart about things other than sports. She hates it and has really reduced how much she is on various platforms as something that was meant to be a discussion devolves into an insult competition as an attempt to elevate status in the eyes of others. I think people are critical to varying degrees, especially when it's something they're passionate about.

Last edited:

I hope you're doing better soon, Peggy.

My wify is a Brit and completely unathletic. Even her grade school report card mentioned her dislike of sports. But she can pilot twin engine commercial planes. I watch the games by myself.

I am sorry to read you have some bad things happening to you... I am not the praying type, so I just hope things get better. You seem like good person and a great fan.

I feel like my life lense differs from my sports lens. With life, I am more optimistic. Details are probably too personal..

With sports, I expect the worst and hope for the best. So, a more pessimistic approach. I probably act more like a coach and not like a 'fan'. Probably comes from having played and coached my kids myself. Maybe because I am a dude? I don't know. I want to fix things that are broken, so I comment more on the broken things. I feel like the positive things are obvious and don't need fixing, so why comment on them? Being told to be more like a cheerleader, I personally find grating.

To achieve some balance, I will take some deep breaths and read other people's stuff before posting. However, if its the gameday thread, then its as if I am at the game or in a bar screaming out loud. I try to not tell other people how to post. If I disagree with something, I'll usually ignore it and skip to someone else that seems to have a take that aligns somewhat with mine.

Last edited:
I am a male optimist, which is why I avoid coming here after a loss and having to deal with the pessimists. Best wishes to you.
I am too but the funny thing is, I actually force myself to come here soon after a loss. With all the negativity after a loss, it actually helps me get through the disappointment faster just dealing with it. I'm not sure why it helps me get through the sting of a loss faster - probably because I see others who seem so much more miserable. :confused:

I am too but the funny thing is, I actually force myself to come here soon after a loss. With all the negativity after a loss, it actually helps me get through the disappointment faster just dealing with it. I'm not sure why it helps me get through the sting of a loss faster - probably because I see others who seem so much more miserable. :confused:
We are all very different and it is probably disingenuous to attribute pessimism more to males than females. I so think women are more disposed to support, comfort and circle the wagons where the men tend towards “Off with their heads!”

Oops, and that comment may have been disingenuous as well. :rolleyes:

We are all very different and it is probably disingenuous to attribute pessimism more to males than females. I so think women are more disposed to support, comfort and circle the wagons where the men tend towards “Off with their heads!”

Oops, and that comment may have been disingenuous as well. :rolleyes:
Damn it, Beadle. Your comment caused me to do some reading. :mad:

It does appear that there are differences, depending on what we're talking about. Men have been found generally to be more optimistic when it comes to financial endeavors (I'm summarizing while drinking a beer, so keep that in mind). The two studies I read though don't talk about a team that wears orange and was coached by a hall of famer and then taken over by a long time assistant. I don't know. I should ask my wife, as she's a clinical psychologist, but that would mean I would have to listen more today which I don't feel like doing. I've already had to listen to my boss (at work) once today. :p

After a loss I don't want to be reminded but after a win I come here. It would be too painful to come here after a loss. If I'm wounded my instinct is that no one can help.

After a loss I don't want to be reminded but after a win I come here. It would be too painful to come here after a loss. If I'm wounded my instinct is that no one can help.
Everyone is different obviously, so that's cool. Whatever works for you. For me, I like to rip the band aid off quickly, deal with the pain, and that all helps get the sting out faster rather than putting the inevitable off.

Also... this year, more than other seasons I can remember, even with wins (on this board), they seem like losses due to the amount of constant griping and criticism that goes on. It's nuts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom