Is Brad Stevens the new Don Haskins? | Syracusefan.com

Is Brad Stevens the new Don Haskins?

SWC75

Bored Historian
Haskins had great early success with what was basically a mid-major at the time and elected to stay at that school. He had considerable success in the WAC but also more than a few mediocre seasons and his program became something of a backwater in the NCAA. He was respected as a coach but didn't obtain the 'legend' status that a cacoh of a powerhouse can.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Haskins

Stevens has had a great start at Butler. It was assumked he'd jump to an open spot at one of the traditional powers, (Indiana?), but he elevated to stay at Butler. Yesterday the Bulldogs got eliminated from the Horizon Conference tournament by Valpo, 46-65 and at 20-14 are headed for the NIT. Is that a blip on the radar and will the Bulldogs be back in the final four before you know it? Or are the Bulldogs and Stevens a blip on the radr that is heading offscreen? Did Stevens blow it by not cashing in on his team's success? Stay tuned.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brad_Stevens

He will eventually make the move to a bcs school and will be very successful.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

I think he wanted the Indiana job and would have gotten it if Crean didn't have a tournament appearance this year. It wouldn't shock me Stevens is the replacement for Pitino at Louisville its not far from Indianapolis and Pitino wants to coach 2 more years. Butler made 2 consecutive Final Fours and it doesn't appear they got the Gonzaga bump in recruiting.

I respect the man for staying at Butler when he could have cashed in right away. He's waiting for the job he wants and isn't trying to bounce around to finally one day receive the offer. He's extraordinarily young so if things start to g down hill, he has plenty of time to move elsewhere and rebuild if need be.

I highly doubt Butler will ever see another Final Four again.

Stevens, fortunately for him, will still have the luxury of his pick of jobs for at least the next four or five years, if he decides to leave.

Absolutely blew a great opportunity. You have to "strike while the irons hot" but he will get more opportunities for sure, he's young and has that head coach "look" so he'll land a big time job before long.

It's one bad season, let's give him the benefit of the doubt.

He's got plenty of time to jump to a bigger job. He took Butler to 2 consecutive national championship games. That's probably the most impressive coaching accomplishment of the last 20 years.

He can afford a couple bad years before he starts to cool off.

Is there any possibility he becomes the next Syracuse HC after JB retires in few years?

Is there any possibility he becomes the next Syracuse HC after JB retires in few years?
Only if he changes his name to Mike Hopkins.

Even then there would probably be a drawn out law suit.

It's going to come down to what job opens up for him when he decides to leave. If he pulls the trigger and goes to a Colorado and Wake Forest in a couple years he'll probably disappear from the radar.

Of course a job like UK could always open up when the NCAA comes calling again, or as someone else mentioned UL might be a nice stop. You never know, those two Final Fours give him the luxury of waiting though - just has to make sure he doesn't wait too long. I'm not sure what Butler's prospects are going forward, but as long as they don't completely fall apart he'll be more than fine.

Yea because what we want at 'Cuse is slow down, hack and grab ball. 30K at the dome can't wait to see "burn the clock" offense and constant games in the low 50s.

Sometimes even good coaches would never fit the culture/style of the school. Pitt or Ville would be perfect however.

Stevens didn't do a "bad" job this year. The team was exceedingly young, outside of Norad, and struggled shooting from 3.

Rotnei Clarke will be a difference maker for the next two years.

Asking this question after one down ear after back to back final fours? Sounds legit.

It's a good idea to get all the facts together before one starts speculating:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5068230

Stevens signs 12-year extension
Associated Press
INDIANAPOLIS -- Brad Stevens is content to keep coaching the Butler way.

The 33-year-old coach, who came within a buzzer-beating shot of winning the NCAA men's basketball championship, signed a 12-year deal Thursday that extends through the 2021-22 season.

Team spokesman Jim McGrath declined to say how much the deal was worth, though Stevens had a total compensation package of $750,000 last season. Athletic director Barry Collier acknowledged Tuesday that Stevens was in line for a pay raise.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I'm willing to wager that Boeheim will be gone by then and someone else will be named as head coach.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom