Is DM's potential move really that bad? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Is DM's potential move really that bad?

My $.02 (just another fan's non-insider viewpoint) is that if this were about mostly facilities and $$ leverage he'd interview with other colleges, not the NFL and schedule one interview not multiple and wouldn't bring out the all of his former HC's to put in a good word .. it appears to me he may prefer the NFL and the job duties of the NFL rather than facing a re-building job losing a lot of key seniors, and stiffer competition of the ACC.. with the team's big winning streak after a long BCS conference losing streak this is the perfect time for him to go

Obviously the answer is that we don't know.

Marrone has done a great job in rescuing the program. But no one knows that if he stays we are on the path to 10 win seasons and ACC championships, or 8 win seasons and Belk Bowl appearances.

So yeah, we know that he's capable of 8 win seasons, and maybe he leaves and we hire some schlub who sucks as bad as Robinson and we regress. Then again, maybe Gross catches lightning in a bottle and we hire the next Chip Kelly. Hell, we were trying to hire the real one not too long ago, so it's not like that's some far-fetched fantasy.

I'm just not interested in worrying about it. All we know is that SU will be playing Penn State at MetLife to open the season in 9 months. Someone will be coaching.

My $.02 (just another fan's non-insider viewpoint) is that if this were about mostly facilities and $$ leverage he'd interview with other colleges, not the NFL and schedule one interview not multiple and wouldn't bring out the all of his former HC's to put in a good word .. it appears to me he may prefer the NFL and the job duties of the NFL rather than facing a re-building job losing a lot of key seniors, and stiffer competition of the ACC.. with the team's big winning streak after a long BCS conference losing streak this is the perfect time for him to go

Possible and having kids get arrested every year as well might play a part. Not just the arrest thing but the whole babysitting deal to a point may be more wearing on him then we think. NFL guys get arrested the GM or NFL takes care of the problem. If Doug makes the move I'm sure there is a combo of factors and like any of us that have made major decisions he's done his research before he decides what he is going to do. I firmly believe he enjoys being a mentor but circumstances change and all the outside curricular things may not be as controlled the way he thought they were going to be...like dealing with the Syracuse police. I wish him well with whatever decision he makes.

Obviously the answer is that we don't know.

Marrone has done a great job in rescuing the program. But no one knows that if he stays we are on the path to 10 win seasons and ACC championships, or 8 win seasons and Belk Bowl appearances.

So yeah, we know that he's capable of 8 win seasons, and maybe he leaves and we hire some schlub who sucks as bad as Robinson and we regress. Then again, maybe Gross catches lightning in a bottle and we hire the next Chip Kelly. Hell, we were trying to hire the real one not too long ago, so it's not like that's some far-fetched fantasy.

I'm just not interested in worrying about it. All we know is that SU will be playing Penn State at MetLife to open the season in 9 months. Someone will be coaching.

Agreed, I would like to see better facilities because I think that is where we are lacking most, any coach will want that but hey if Marrone wants to move than so be it. He worked hard when he was here and minus that 5 game slide I think he has done just fine here... There are certainly better coaches than Doug but there are also ones far worse. Doug isn't perfect but I liked having a Syracuse guy because I thought he was aware of most of the shortcomings of the program, which I think he is/was. At the end of the day, I think marrone is just lookig to be an NFL head aoch and who can blame him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom