Is Ennis the bet frosh in college basketball? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Is Ennis the bet frosh in college basketball?

I pretty much just care about and watch Syracuse hoops. (I really can't stomach much of 'today's' college bball but that is another topic.) Name 1 player on this team (the 2nd ranked team in the country) you do not want to lose? Ta daa. ;)

There is no other freshman I would want on this Syracuse team in place of Ennis. He fulfills our greatest need and is doing an amazing job. But if I could have one other freshman, I would take Randle in a heartbeat. We could use a double-double guy at PF. Having a big time threat we could toss the ball down to on the blocks would really benefit our team. But I'm not complaining of course, we're pretty damn good already and what a wonderful season we've had so far. Let's Go Orange!

Yea, I did a search and found some articles. That was one if them but they are far too lengthy to try and read and digest. I also found some that gave NBA results and I kind of dismissed the method and lost interest. There was one that had James as the 4th best player a couple seasons ago behind even Howard. There was one that had Landry as the 8th best player in the NBA and even one that using players from awhile ago had Rodman as better than MJ. So I'm not going all in on it. I'll just stick with my opinion that Parker is better but not better for SU.

Wins Produced Metric is one of those new fangled super stats that just makes me laugh! I think how stupid is that watch some games yikes.

Ennis is awesome. I really like Randle's game as well. And of course Parker is fantastic too. To me, it's those 3. For Wiggins, the hype was too much, though he still has been a good player. Embiid is really good as well, but he's not playing enough minutes for me.

As people have said in this thread Ennis is obviously the best fit for this team. He might be the best freshmen period as well.

nope nada not a chance- kid needs at least 3 years under jimmy b to be any good;)

I rate Parker higher because he is doing what he does while being the guy with the target on his back for other teams. While Ennis is indispensable to us, CJ and TC are more on the radar of other teams than he is. I'm waiting for some team to put serious heat on Ennis to see what that does to us as a team.

I rate Parker higher because he is doing what he does while being the guy with the target on his back for other teams. While Ennis is indispensable to us, CJ and TC are more on the radar of other teams than he is. I'm waiting for some team to put serious heat on Ennis to see what that does to us as a team.

That would probably be a bad move--Ennis would shred teams that overplay him that way, and we have the athletes to capitalize and make teams pay for selling out to get the ball out of Tyler's hands. And while it would be interesting to see how he responds, I don't think that teams attempting to get physical with him would knock him off his game the way that uconn /armPitt used to do to GMac.

Yea, I did a search and found some articles. That was one if them but they are far too lengthy to try and read and digest. I also found some that gave NBA results and I kind of dismissed the method and lost interest. There was one that had James as the 4th best player a couple seasons ago behind even Howard. There was one that had Landry as the 8th best player in the NBA and even one that using players from awhile ago had Rodman as better than MJ. So I'm not going all in on it. I'll just stick with my opinion that Parker is better but not better for SU.

It is not the end all, but it certainly adds very valuable, especially in truly quantifying a players value on the court. People forget how good Dwight Howard was a few years ago though.

Wins Produced Metric is one of those new fangled super stats that just makes me laugh! I think how stupid is that watch some games yikes.

I get it, you really identify with the scouts in Moneyball, it is okay that your understanding of the game is outdated.

I get it, you really identify with the scouts in Moneyball, it is okay that your understanding of the game is outdated.

I don't need that stat to know that Ennis contributes to all our wins and no player wins any games by themselves because its a team game.

I'd add that with some viewing and the basic stats you can learn just as much. I think some of the metrics are great like off and def efficiency rating rebounding rates off + def and keeping track of shooting % on different types of shots. But others are just a hodge podge of math and who knows what producing a rather useless number that doesn't really tell us anything. To each there own although metrics and understanding them are not exclusive to understanding ball.

Last edited:
If Chuck Norris played basketball and was a freshman point guard, he'd be better (but not by much).

I'm not really a huge fans of wins produced; as mentioned it loved Landry Fields a while ago Dwight Howard no doubt used to be probably the second or third best player in the league. But I also believe it likes Ronnie Brewer better on a per 48 minute basis than Melo, right?

That would probably be a bad move--Ennis would shred teams that overplay him that way, and we have the athletes to capitalize and make teams pay for selling out to get the ball out of Tyler's hands. And while it would be interesting to see how he responds, I don't think that teams attempting to get physical with him would knock him off his game the way that uconn /armPitt used to do to GMac.
You are probably right. UNC chose to put Paige on Cooney rather than Ennis. Maybe they figured that was the better option.
My main point was not so much how good Ennis is, because we know he is not only the best freshman PG, but certainly one of the top three in the nation at any class. It was more about the attention that Parker gets and is still able to do what he does. I think he is a more completer player than Wiggins, Randle or Embiid.
In looking at any of these players, it's like comparing apples and oranges at a position so it's not as clean a decision as we might like.

I'm not really a huge fans of wins produced; as mentioned it loved Landry Fields a while ago Dwight Howard no doubt used to be probably the second or third best player in the league. But I also believe it likes Ronnie Brewer better on a per 48 minute basis than Melo, right?

But I was just told that not liking metrics means you are a Dino and don't understand the game.

If Chuck Norris played basketball and was a freshman point guard, he'd be better (but not by much).
Yeah, but I think he'd get too many fouls called on himself. Of course if he took out the refs first-------------:rolleyes:

I don't need that stat to know that Ennis contributes to all our wins and no player wins any games by themselves because its a team game.

I'd add that with some viewing and the basic stats you can learn just as much. I think some of the metrics are great like off and def efficiency rating rebounding rates off + def and keeping track of shooting % on different types of shots. But others are just a hodge podge of math and who knows what producing a rather useless number that doesn't really tell us anything. To each there own although metrics and understanding them are not exclusive to understanding ball.

Offensive and Defensive efficiency are highly correlated with Winning. Different player actions on the court effect OE and DE. By measuring their effect on OE/DE, and measuring OE/DE effect on winning, we can create a measure of how much a player's actions on the court contribute to winning. It is not a hodge podge of math, it is a simple logical extension to Wins/Losses using an intro level college stats class.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom