Is it Bills or Bust for DM? | Syracusefan.com

Is it Bills or Bust for DM?

44PRIDE

All Conference
Its starting to look like its Buffalo or bust for Marrone. As of this moment, the realistic landing spots (and competition) looks like this:

Arizona: Not interviewing DM
Bears: Not interviewing DM
Bills: Interviewing DM, Ken Whisenhunt, Lovie Smith (among others)
Browns: Chip Kelly
Chargers: Not interviewing DM
Iggles: Not interviewing DM
KC: Andy Reid

Buffalo's decision is to whether hire an NFL retread or go to the college ranks. Looking at that list, I'd bet smart money that its Lovie Smith. But this is the Bills, so smart money is out the window.

Something tells me this is DM's job to lose...

Are the Eagles and Bears not interviewing Doug, or just not yet? I thought both front offices had expressed interest?

Everything that I've read says Kelly has just about wrapped things up with Cleveland...even with the other interviews.
Yup. I think Buffalo is between Lovie/Marrone/Whisenhunt.

I like the first comment on that article.

As for Chip, everything that I've read says Kelly has just about wrapped things up with Cleveland...even with the other interviews.
That is a great comment. Guy must know his football.

Yup. I think Buffalo is between Lovie/Marrone/Whisenhunt.

Doubt he gets that Buffalo would take Lovie and Whisenhunt over him.

Its a shame this is all getting blown out of proportion. He only have a 20% chance of getting a job anyways. I hope he manages to get himself and his assistants a raise from all this crap though.

Well, I'll take a moment to reflect on the fact that the two college coaches who are part of the carousel now are Marrone and Kelly, both targets of Dr. Gross back in late 2008. Kelly was locked up by Oregon with that "coach in waiting" designation once we asked to talk with him, and Marrone emerged from all the other candidates. Pretty good track record there. And yes, I know it might have been Skip's for the taking, but he balked.

IF he comes back, DM will need to do some serious damage control on the recruiting front...

Its one thing to be spoken about as a potential coaching candidate. Its a completely other thing to actively interview with half the league.

Chip Kelly was considered an NFL candidate for the last 3-4 years. It wasn't until this past year that he really went after it though. Our Dougie decides to hit the open market at the first sniff of a job.

This will leave a stain on the recruiting trail for the remainder of his tenure here at Syracuse

This will leave a stain on the recruiting trail for the remainder of his tenure here at Syracuse
Unless a new contract is drawn up that raises the likelihood of his staying. Analogous to a GOR or hefty exit fee for conference members, except here it is a buyout clause.

IF he comes back, DM will need to do some serious damage control on the recruiting front...

Do you think Strong interviewing at Tennessee will hurt the Cards recruiting?
As long as Marrone publicly recommits himself to staying at Syracuse (analogous to what Strong did at UL), then I think the NFL interest only helps recruiting by raising his profile.

I hope this ends one way or another real soon. Laray not committing really bothers me as he was supposedly a 99% lock.

As a Syracuse fan and a Buffalo Bills fan observer, let me just say...
Bills = career suicide.

But let's say Doug gets the job and he takes the Bills to a playoff in year 2 - can anyone say hero worship?

I don't want to see Marrone after back to back 6-10 seasons. Not a pretty thought.

As a Bills fan I actually wouldnt mind Doug Marrone if we didnt hire Lovie Smith, that being said, I dont want Marrone to leave Syracuse to please hire Lovie. Starting to get the feeling Buffalo wont hire Lovie though, just makes too much sense. Good coach who actually wants to coach Buffalo, nah Buffalo definately wont hire him :rolleyes:

It would be interesting to see if Doug would draft Nassib though. Nassib very well could be there in rd 2 when Buffalo drafts and we all know Buffalo is drafting a QB at some point even if they get someone via free agency.

Its starting to look like its Buffalo or bust for Marrone. As of this moment, the realistic landing spots (and competition) looks like this:

Arizona: Not interviewing DM
Bears: Not interviewing DM
Bills: Interviewing DM, Ken Whisenhunt, Lovie Smith (among others)
Browns: Chip Kelly
Chargers: Not interviewing DM
Iggles: Not interviewing DM
KC: Andy Reid

Buffalo's decision is to whether hire an NFL retread or go to the college ranks. Looking at that list, I'd bet smart money that its Lovie Smith. But this is the Bills, so smart money is out the window.

Something tells me this is DM's job to lose...
A quick look at the Buffalo paper's website certainly suggests that McCoy is their preferred choice.

As a Bills fan I actually wouldnt mind Doug Marrone if we didnt hire Lovie Smith, that being said, I dont want Marrone to leave Syracuse to please hire Lovie. Starting to get the feeling Buffalo wont hire Lovie though, just makes too much sense. Good coach who actually wants to coach Buffalo, nah Buffalo definately wont hire him :rolleyes:

It would be interesting to see if Doug would draft Nassib though. Nassib very well could be there in rd 2 when Buffalo drafts and we all know Buffalo is drafting a QB at some point even if they get someone via free agency.

I'm in the same boat. I'm a Tampa Bay Bucs fan first, but I root for the Bills too (whole family is Bills fans). I'd be excited for the Bills to get someone like Marrone, but I'm deathly scared of what will happen to Syracuse if he leaves.

A quick look at the Buffalo paper's website certainly suggests that McCoy is their preferred choice.

Yeah I think in the Bills FO, it's:
1. McCoy
2. Whisenhunt
3. Marrone
4. Horton
5. Lovie

Yeah I think in the Bills FO, it's:
1. McCoy
2. Whisenhunt
3. Marrone
4. Horton
5. Lovie
1. McCoy-yes
2. Whisenhunt-no
3. Marrone-yes
4. Horton-yes
5. Lovie-HELL YES

This of course means they will hire Whisenhunt.

Ryan Nassib is not good enough to play early and turn around a bad NFL team. He had a great year and threw for a lot of yards. So do a bunch of guys in the Big12 and mid majors that never get a sniff in the league.

And Marrone would be making a mistake to tie his career to Nassib with an early round pick. Way too much pressure on both.

Buffalo should go get Alex Smith and start building from there.

Ryan Nassib is not good enough to play early and turn around a bad NFL team. He had a great year and threw for a lot of yards. So do a bunch of guys in the Big12 and mid majors that never get a sniff in the league.

And Marrone would be making a mistake to tie his career to Nassib with an early round pick. Way too much pressure on both.

Buffalo should go get Alex Smith and start building from there.
I agree with going after Alex Smith but I wouldnt mind Nassib as a guy who doesnt need to step in right away. Rd 2 might be too early, but Nassib could be gone by rd 3.

Im reading the Buffalo messageboard and DM is getting alot more traction today. Lots of talk of him bringing Shafer if he comes here. Buffalo fans warming up quickly when they open their eyes and see Marrone was a big part of the Saints offense and Shafer is the complete opposite of Wannstedt.

I agree with going after Alex Smith but I wouldnt mind Nassib as a guy who doesnt need to step in right away. Rd 2 might be too early, but Nassib could be gone by rd 3.

Im reading the Buffalo messageboard and DM is getting alot more traction today. Lots of talk of him bringing Shafer if he comes here. Buffalo fans warming up quickly when they open their eyes and see Marrone was a big part of the Saints offense and Shafer is the complete opposite of Wannstedt.

I don't know about Shafer in the NFL. His schemes are pretty unsound and while you can get away with that in college...

I don't know about Shafer in the NFL. His schemes are pretty unsound and while you can get away with that in college...
You dont blitz Tom Brady lol...dont tell Shafer that.