Is it play calling or QB play because it isnt a lack of talent | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Is it play calling or QB play because it isnt a lack of talent

We out-gained Northwerstern 596-337, hung with USC and held Pitt to 27 yards rushing. But we don't have much talent.

When you are trying to throw into really small windows because the WR's don't get separation then there are going to be picks. There is noone on the team who can beat press coverage, which allows the D to play 7 or 8 in the box.

Is that what happened on Friday's pick?

And...why don't we use press coverage and see if the other team can beat it?

Well that was Nunes' issue. He had a lot of negative plays between his INTs and running backwards for huge loses on sacks. It wasn't his passing but his decision making.

Actually, you can use the stats here as they do not lie. there is a major difference between nassib and nunes stat lines; nunes had double the number of picks. Using those data, if you throw 40 times a game, that is one extra pick a game for nunes relative to nassib.

Nassib has a strong arm, use it...take advantage of it. 8-15 yard outs by the sideline that weak armed guys can't do and the receivers HAVE to catch it. Opens the middle for TE's or Sales. Pump fake. Flow one way throw the other...again using that strong arm but this does take stopping and firing and getting hit. Rutgers/UConn/Louisville are going to jump routes/use blitzing so SU has to figure out how to attack that with what they have.

Honestly OPA, there is not a time in the past 10 years of this program that people didn't declare that our talent was improving.

I'm not calling you out, it's everyone.

This place is full of diehards who have a compulsive need to believe we're getting better.

I hope this time everyone is right.

You may be right, but I don't recall too many declaring that our talent was improving with Robinson - I do recall many complaining that we were beating out MAC teams for recruits.

That seems to have changed under Marrone.

That said, we clearly have a long way to go.

And though the ACC will help, we still need the "wow" factor of an indoor facility - something like the Melo Center that really knocks kids out.

Actually, you can use the stats here as they do not lie. there is a major difference between nassib and nunes stat lines; nunes had double the number of picks. Using those data, if you throw 40 times a game, that is one extra pick a game for nunes relative to nassib.
the optimal number of interceptions is not zero. right now i would trade more interceptions for higher YPA.

i'm fine with the qb rating as a way of ordering players. my problem is that the idiots here who watch only SU and the NFL don't realize that a 120 rating in college kinda sucks where a 120 rating in the pros means you're either really good or you just faced the bills.

The one thing I think is holding Hackett back is his lack of experience, and having DM as a coach. I assume that since Marrone was an OC, Hackett believes that he needs to be as much of a thinker as Doug is, and over-complicates things for himself...which wouldn't be difficult since he has only been calling plays for a few years.

You may be right, but I don't recall too many declaring that our talent was improving with Robinson - I do recall many complaining that we were beating out MAC teams for recruits.

That seems to have changed under Marrone.

That said, we clearly have a long way to go.

And though the ACC will help, we still need the "wow" factor of an indoor facility - something like the Melo Center that really knocks kids out.

Robinson's first move was to sign a 4 star kid from down the street and his teammate who people (IB) were comparing to Wes Welker. And Delone Carter signing, Williams, the PA kids, yada yada...and I remember reading the board in the waning P days about the talent we were putting out / recruiting then, and it really wasn't.

Chip's point is correct, and it's across all sports with all fans, people confuse names with talent.

Orange PA is all about the coaches which is cool as he doesnt waiver. That is his thing. I tend to be in the middle but my heart is all about the program. I could really care less who our coach is as long as they win clean. I think that Doug is doing a good job and i believe that long term he is a good CEO type of head coach. I loved seeing him with passion as i believe it does make a difference with young men. Just ask the guys at Fort Drum. As to the talent on the team i believe that we have enought to win all but USC and LV. My biggest issue this year is Hack. There is no way in hell that he should be our OC. Should he be a position coach? You bet. But OC you have got to be kidding me. It is so crystal clear that he doesnt know what he is doing. His play calling and use of our talent screams newbie. He has improved this year but he blew the Minnesota game big time and almost blew Pitt. Sometimes i really feel as if he is in his dads basement playing Madden. He just doesnt have a feel for calling a game. He puts Ryan in poor positions over and over again and seems to take us out of our rythm when we find it. Not using Ash is beyond me and there isnt one poster on this board who can defend his red zone play calling as it has been beyond horrible. Still i have hope that boy wonder wakes up against the girls and joy sticks them to death. If we fall apart this year it will be interesting to see if DM has the same set of balls that he showed in letting Dan go. I for one doubt it.

"All about the coaches"?

I have been watching Syracuse Football since 1968. I go to every home game and many away games. I have gotten to know every head coach since Frank Maloney and many of the assistant coaches. (I met Ben Schwartzwalder a few times when I was a kid but did not know him).

I have rooted for the program for nearly 45 years and I have supported the coaches during that time because I think they have all given a great effort on behalf of the University - some with success and some without success. But in doing so I have been a realist about the program. I have understood for many years that we have not had the financial resources in the past to compete in the manner that so many seem to expect.

And, in most years I have not created for myself the kind of unrealistic expectations that so many on this board seem to establish as every year begins.

I recognize that I am not an x's and o's guy - I never played or coached the game and I don't presume to understand serious football strategy or undertake to offer criticism of coaches for how they apply the mechanics of the game. How can I when I don't know the game plan or have not watched the film or been to practice?

And I am dumbfounded by those on this board who make comments like yours - "He just doesn't have a feel for calling a game" - when your and the posters who seem so pre-occupied with the issue, have no idea what went into the play calling decision in a given situation.

There are times when I disagree with a coaching decision, but I don't offer the kind of knee jerk reactions that pop on this board following a given play or a given game.

So, please the fact that I don't constantly call for coaches to be fired or constantly challenge their acumen has nothing to do with my loyalty to a program that I have supported for longer than many on this board have been around.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom