Is it play calling or QB play because it isnt a lack of talent | Syracusefan.com

Is it play calling or QB play because it isnt a lack of talent

kcsu

Living Legend
Sales, Lemming, Wales, West, Flemming, Ash, AAM, PTG, Smith, Seasoned and solid Oline.

We have plenty of talent on O more than most of the teams we have played with the exception of USC and Pitt. So what is the problem is it play calling or Nassib? I believe that it is a combo. I really dont think that Ryan is all that good. Happy feet, lack of touch and vision dont make for a great QB regardless of stats and his play in the Redzone is horrible. Couple that with some very strange play calling and you have an O that has a much harder than it should.

I think you touched on it the other day. I think Nassib has all of the physical tools and football smarts to be a good quarterback. He's shown glimpses of that in the last three years.

I really think his issue is fear. He wants to win so badly, he tries to hard, forces things, etc. I've suffered from anxiety for years, and I can tell you- the more you think about something and pressure yourself about something, the more likely it is you're going to screw it up. I played baseball for 12 years- I was so scared of striking out, I struck out constantly. That still hasn't changed.

When Nassib has plenty of prep time, he's played pretty well. Usually the first three or four games of the season, plus the Pinstripe Bowl.

But on a week to week basis, he's played like he's completely terrified of letting everyone down. Hence, the red zone picks and forced passes on screens.

Sales, Lemming, Wales, West, Flemming, Ash, AAM, PTG, Smith, Seasoned and solid Oline.

We have plenty of talent on O more than most of the teams we have played with the exception of USC and Pitt. So what is the problem is it play calling or Nassib? I believe that it is a combo. I really dont think that Ryan is all that good. Happy feet, lack of touch and vision dont make for a great QB regardless of stats and his play in the Redzone is horrible. Couple that with some very strange play calling and you have an O that has a much harder than it should.

I still put the OL up there and lack of a reliable burner at WR.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

It is a lack of talent.

Among other things.

You people need to watch more college football. It's fun, you'll enjoy it.

When you are trying to throw into really small windows because the WR's don't get separation then there are going to be picks. There is noone on the team who can beat press coverage, which allows the D to play 7 or 8 in the box.

I think the o-line is linked to the ability of the QB and the feel for the game that he has. How many times has Nassib moved the wrong way in a fairly decent pocket, or been sacked because he didn't step up? The o-line can't make a perfect pocket for 8 seconds every time. Even good college offensive lines don't do that.

Kobena is far from a great receiver, but I think it will help to get his speed back in the lineup.

Decent WRs - Sales remains the only truly reliable player at that position - but no home run threat - no physically dominant player.

And no HR threat at RB either.

Plus Nassib has distinct limitations.

OL - I'm still not sure what to make of it.

The issue is and will remain talent for the rest of the year.

I think the o-line is linked to the ability of the QB and the feel for the game that he has. How many times has Nassib moved the wrong way in a fairly decent pocket, or been sacked because he didn't step up? The o-line can't make a perfect pocket for 8 seconds every time. Even good college offensive lines don't do that.

No QB needs or gets 8 seconds.

The lack of separation by the receivers Friday was noticeable, made worse by nassib's impatience.

My biggest issue with Ryan is his inability to buy time to allow receivers to get open. once the happy feet start, the play is over for receivers. He immediately tucks and runs (or lumbers).

He's a good kid who plays hard, but god didn't give him fleet feet or a sense of feel for finding the open space in the pocket.

This is a combo of mediocre talent at WR and a QB who lacks touch and panics at the slightest hint of the pocket breaking down. Still too many drops by our receivers.

The lack of separation by the receivers Friday was noticeable, made worse by nassib's impatience.

My biggest issue with Ryan is his inability to buy time to allow receivers to get open. once the happy feet start, the play is over for receivers. He immediately tucks and runs (or lumbers).

He's a good kid who plays hard, but god didn't give him fleet feet or a sense of feel for finding the open space in the pocket.

Like I mentioned in some other thread, he doesn't make anyone around him better.

Probably next year too.

And the year after that.

And the one after that.

And the season after that.

If you feel that way, why not do the right thing - and go away.

Go support another program - it will make you happier.

Thank you.

If you feel that way, why not do the right thing - and go away.

Go support another program - it will make you happier.

Thank you.
I'm having a hard time following this.

You're the guy that always beats the drum on talent.

I just beat the drum on talent with you. In rhythm I might add.

And you suggest that the right thing to do is for me to go away?

Because it will make me happier?

And you thanked me for it?

:confused:

I'm having a hard time following this.

You're the guy that always beats the drum on talent.

I just beat the drum on talent with you. In rhythm I might add.

And you suggest that the right thing to do is for me to go away?

Because it will make me happier?

And you thanked me for it?

:confused:

You don't understand.

I try to assess talent as objectively as I can - and with the acknowledgment that I am simply a lay fan - and I maintain my belief that talent is ultimately the deciding factor in wins and losses - not "play calling."

The OP asked to address the talent level of the offense - or to compare it to the play calling issue.

My assessment was that we have deficiencies at the WR, QB and RB positions that probably explain why we have struggled in certain ways this fall.

I did not suggest that we will never have sufficient talent or that our talent level has not increased a great deal in the last two years.

In fact, I believe that our talent level has increased in a number of positions and I have every confidence that the talent level of the team will get better and better in the next two years.

Your post suggests, apparently, that we will never have sufficient talent.

That's a downer of a post as far as I am concerned.

So, my suggestion to you was go root for another program if you're so pessimistic about the SU Football Program. It will make you happier to do so.

And, I thanked you in advance for going away.

Hopefully, that clears things up a bit.

You don't understand.

I try to assess talent as objectively as I can - and with the acknowledgment that I am simply a lay fan - and I maintain my belief that talent is ultimately the deciding factor in wins and losses - not "play calling."

The OP asked to address the talent level of the offense - or to compare it to the play calling issue.

My assessment was that we have deficiencies at the WR, QB and RB positions that probably explain why we have struggled in certain ways this fall.

I did not suggest that we will never have sufficient talent or that our talent level has not increased a great deal in the last two years.

It appears as though I erred in believing that your historical explanation for performance would also be your future explanation for performance. It appears as though I fell victim to a common logical fallacy.

In fact, I believe that our talent level has increased in a number of positions and I have every confidence that the talent level of the team will get better and better in the next two years.

I believe the jury is still out on this. Our talent has improved. It appears it hasn't improved enough.

Your post suggests, apparently, that we will never have sufficient talent.

To some extent, yes.

That's a downer of a post as far as I am concerned.

215px-Debbie_Downer.PNG

So, my suggestion to you was go root for another program if you're so pessimistic about the SU Football Program. It will make you happier to do so.

And, I thanked you in advance for going away.

Hopefully, that clears things up a bit.
I'm not pessimistic about the SU football program.

Pessimistic about Marrone, yes, especially if we're back to the sludge and trudge offense.

Chances are very good that I'll last longer on this online community than Marrone will as HC.

All things considered, I'd rather Ryan pick up 3-4 yards than hang in there too long and get sacked/stripped/force a stupid throw.

What a bunch of over thinking in this thread

QB is the most important position by far. Especially when you throw all the time.

When the QB plays well, the offense does well. When he sucks, the offense sucks.

Minnesota ate the offensive line for lunch. Fine, chalk that up to the line.

We threw less in the last two games but who can blame them?

Unless you're a top 10 defense, you need good qb play to be good. We get good qb play in September.

All things considered, I'd rather Ryan pick up 3-4 yards than hang in there too long and get sacked/stripped/force a stupid throw.
if you don't want him to fumble, you shouldn't want him to leave the pocket

Nassib isn't a "problem".

He just is who he is.

He's a solid QB, but limited.

I'm guessing you'll see his completion percentage and yards per completion come back a little as we get deeper into conference play, regressing to about 62% and 6.5 yards per completion.

He isn't changing. Has some issues with touch, long ball and happy feet.

Again, solid QB, veteran, reliable to an extent.

He's a known quantity. The coaches have to work within his capabilities.

The lack of separation by the receivers Friday was noticeable, made worse by nassib's impatience...

honest question, why can't our receivers get separation? is it coaching or talent or both? if it's talent, why not run picks?

Since people love stats, here's a fun exercise...

The reviled Troy Nunes:
58.6% career completion rate, 7.4 yards per attempt, 5.2% TDs per attempt, 5.2% INTs per attempt, 127.5 passer rating

Ryan Nassib:
60.4% career completion rate, 6.7 yards per attempt, 5.1% TDs per attempt, 2.3% INTs per attempt, 128.8 passer rating

Outside of the picks, which we all know was Nunes' great weakness, not so different, right?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom