Is it Red time? | Syracusefan.com

Is it Red time?

I posted on the bball forum that I get the feeling JB is just going to promote Wellman to fill the vacated AC spot... which would mean, for better/worse and pretty much by default that Red has to become lead recruiter...

Would really like to hear what Francis03 thinks about this and the JB "extension" will effect recruiting.

I believe Autry is a good recruiter - but can he be a top dog?
Awaiting that new pod like

IMG_0786.GIF

I posted on the bball forum that I get the feeling JB is just going to promote Wellman to fill the vacated AC spot... which would mean, for better/worse and pretty much by default that Red has to become lead recruiter...
To me, promoting Wellman would mean JB isn't in this for the "long haul". It's just the simplest, easiest fix.

if that happens, we are in big trouble. We need a rainmaker. JB knows that. I can't imagine kip getting this job. Might as well fold up if he does.

if that happens, we are in big trouble. We need a rainmaker. JB knows that. I can't imagine kip getting this job. Might as well fold up if he does.
x10. We need someone with fresh & strong AAU connections to bring in top recruits again.
But couldn't Red, if he's fully unleashed as our top dog, be that guy?

But couldn't Red, if he's fully unleashed as our top dog, be that guy?
Red's been away from those AAU connections with the current kids in the programs for too long. They don't know him.

I think we need the head coach to be more involved more than anything. JB has to get out on the grind instead of leaving basically everything in the hands of AA.

I can't imagine we'll be able to improve recruiting without making some changes to how we're going about the process right now. And that was with Hop involved.

Like to see the school spend some of the money they save with JB to pull Allen Griffen home from Dayton. He's been involved in getting good kids... to Dayton... he could do better here.

Like to see the school spend some of the money they save with JB to pull Allen Griffen home from Dayton. He's been involved in getting good kids... to Dayton... he could do better here.
maybe - though some consider it likely he'll soon join Hop

I would be on board with that, provided that Allen still has strong ties to his NYC roots. NY/NJ is such a hotbed right now. If Allen could tap in to that, along with Red being from NYC and Red's connections in the Baltimore/DC/Virginia territory, we might just have some strong recruiting grounds. But, I do like the idea of Slice, that dude is hard to beat on the recruiting trail, and he would definitely land some elite NY/NJ recruits.

maybe - though some consider it likely he'll soon join Hop
That's why I think we should be willing to pay more than we normally would for an AC. Hopefully the pull of the school he played at, the chance to be co-lead recruiter in the ACC, and a bit more cash would be enough to get him.

Not arguing your point, but are you sure Griffin is responsible for whoever Dayton has brought in? The other two assistant coaches have been with Miller since he was hired by Dayton in 2011. Griffin joined the staff a year or two later.

Would really like to hear what Francis03 thinks about this and the JB "extension" will effect recruiting.

I believe Autry is a good recruiter - but can he be a top dog?
Just waiting to see how things will play out with the hire of the new assistant to get a real feel on things. Hop wasn't recruiting much lately and the other three coaches are still around. So we'll see if we bring in a Weaver like recruiter that will shake things up or just keep it in the Cuse family tree.

Just waiting to see how things will play out with the hire of the new assistant to get a real feel on things. Hop wasn't recruiting much lately and the other three coaches are still around. So we'll see if we bring in a Weaver like recruiter that will shake things up or just keep it in the Cuse family tree.
I would hire the first guy I can find with "jelly" in his twitter handle.

Not arguing your point, but are you sure Griffin is responsible for whoever Dayton has brought in? The other two assistant coaches have been with Miller since he was hired by Dayton in 2011. Griffin joined the staff a year or two later.
I wish I was well connected enough to be sure lol. But his reputation SEEMS to be that of a highly thought of recruiter who is liked by kids and has played a big role in Dayton's recent success. However. If someone with actual AAU and HS ties says that isn't accurate I'll certainly rethink my thoughts on him.

David Cox
Assistant for Rhode Island. Spent some time with Rutgers, Georgetown and Pitt. Coached High School and AAU in Washington DC.

Chuck Martin
Assistant on Tom Creans Indiana staff. Lead recruiter for Thomas Bryant out of NY. Was HC at Marist. Monmouth alum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom