Is it the G league or the D league | Syracusefan.com

Is it the G league or the D league

Its the same thing, just a different name.

The NBA rebranded the D-league (Developmental league) into the G-league (Gatorade league) after a partnership with Gatorade

With guys who are top 30 rated getting shoe company money, it would seem to be a popular move to go to the G-League and be able to make $200,000 a year (salary plus endorsements) rather than go to school.

So - their are 28 teams in the G-League with roughly 350 players. Realistically how many 18 year old players can that league absorb every year? Agents will try to line up everyone in the top 200 for a spot, but realistically how many spots will there be available every year? 10 ? 25 ? 50 ?

Its the same thing, just a different name.

The NBA rebranded the D-league (Developmental league) into the G-league (Gatorade league) after a partnership with Gatorade
Thanks

With guys who are top 30 rated getting shoe company money, it would seem to be a popular move to go to the G-League and be able to make $200,000 a year (salary plus endorsements) rather than go to school.

So - their are 28 teams in the G-League with roughly 350 players. Realistically how many 18 year old players can that league absorb every year? Agents will try to line up everyone in the top 200 for a spot, but realistically how many spots will there be available every year? 10 ? 25 ? 50 ?

Who in the G league is getting 200k in endorsement deals? Serious question.

Who in the G league is getting 200k in endorsement deals? Serious question.

If a top 20 player can get 100k in shoe money to go to a college, wouldn’t that be available to go to the G-League?

If a top 20 player can get 100k in shoe money to go to a college, wouldn’t that be available to go to the G-League?
Not sure a G-Leauge team is going to get the same exposure as a big time college team. Obviously it's still more than he'll make in college, but I don't think the dollars translate. Does anyone know where salaries max out in the G-League?

How the hell is Bazley going to get 200k in shoe money? Nobody but the staunch fans even knows who he is. So...they aren't on TV (national)...nobody even knows the teams in the league...and yet shoe companies think they will make money of of this kid? Dennis Smith got 2m per and everyone knows him. IMO, college exposure plays a major part in early endorsement money.

Quick. Name 3 teams in the G League. Yo have 10 seconds.
Extra credit: name a player on each of those teams.

Click below to see if you are a winner.

Quick. Name 3 teams in the G League. Yo have 10 seconds.
Extra credit: name a player on each of those teams.

Click below to see if you are a winner.
i cant name one team in the G league. I dont even watch the NBA so I'm sure as hell not going to watch some shi tty sub par developmental league

Not sure a G-Leauge team is going to get the same exposure as a big time college team. Obviously it's still more than he'll make in college, but I don't think the dollars translate. Does anyone know where salaries max out in the G-League?

Every game they play is exposure. Could argue more than college as teams are watching their affiliates closely.

Every game they play is exposure. Could argue more than college as teams are watching their affiliates closely.
But is the fact that teams are watching him going to create that much exposure? I feel like schools like Duke and Syracuse get exposure because there is already a built in audience, not because of the players' potential. I suppose the G-League may get more popular some day, but right now it feels like it is more for development than the fans.

How the hell is Bazley going to get 200k in shoe money? Nobody but the staunch fans even knows who he is. So...they aren't on TV (national)...nobody even knows the teams in the league...and yet shoe companies think they will make money of of this kid? Dennis Smith got 2m per and everyone knows him. IMO, college exposure plays a major part in early endorsement money.

I think it’s more likely an agent or similar versus sneaker money. Could be some sneaker money for future considerations but the bulk of any money he got is probably from an agent gambling on bazley future NBA money that said agent would get a cut of.

I thought the shoe money to college players was a small investment to develop a relationship with the athlete in the hope of the player turning into a top level NBA star. I could be wrong, but Bazley at Syracuse has little value while in college to a shoe company. Its only down the road where he has marketing value.

Last edited:
I think it’s more likely an agent or similar versus sneaker money. Could be some sneaker money for future considerations but the bulk of any money he got is probably from an agent gambling on bazley future NBA money that said agent would get a cut of.

This. Bazely will get the leased Range Rover, a nice rented condo in Sioux Falls (if they have nice condos in Sioux Falls that is), some pocket money and a personal trainer. The agent will hope to get this meager investment back 100 fold.

Only the top 3-4 guys could get sneaker $. Maybe the agent can set him up with the Cincinnati Nojaims for a few bucks.

This. Bazely will get the leased Range Rover, a nice rented condo in Sioux Falls (if they have nice condos in Sioux Falls that is), some pocket money and a personal trainer. The agent will hope to get this meager investment back 100 fold.

Only the top 3-4 guys could get sneaker $. Maybe the agent can set him up with the Cincinnati Nojaims for a few bucks.

I'm sure he will get some cash from his agent/agency as well. Of course I can almost promise all those perks are in the form of loans that he'll have to pay back at absurd interest rates once he gets a contract.

Max salary is 26k

Max salary is 26k

But, this is almost irrelevant.

His agent can front him $ now - legally.
Plus, he can (in theory) get endorsement deals.

Both are taking a big risk, that he will indeed get drafted after his year in the G League.

I suppose in theory there's Europe or the rest of the world if he doesn't make the NBA. But one needs to be a little sophisticated to survive abroad. College helps.

Maybe if he flames out he reapplies to college. Somewhere other than SU.

But, this is almost irrelevant.

His agent can front him $ now - legally.
Plus, he can (in theory) get endorsement deals.

Both are taking a big risk, that he will indeed get drafted after his year in the G League.

Agreed. Just answering the salary question.

I'm sure an agent/etc advanced him something in the 6 figure range.

Yeah, the shoe money isn't because they're famous now and will sell shoes now. It's about building relationships and investing in the future. Even throwing $200k a piece at the Top 20 recruits every year would be the equivalent of money we find in the couch cushions for Nike.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom