Is it too early to take a Mulligan on this season | Syracusefan.com

Is it too early to take a Mulligan on this season

pfister1

2023-24 Iggy Winner ACC & OOC Record
Coleman had 4 fouls in 13 minutes against Lehigh... Oh boy!

Roberson only 5 boards?

Took 34 shots from outside 3, only 18 from inside the arc. Yikes!!!

Not sure we even tried to run any offense.

Is it too late to revise my Iggys prediction down...I don't like what I saw tonight at all. Lehigh may be a good team, but whether they are or they aren't I don't like how our team played tonight....and frankly given that we were up by 20 at the half, I don't think Lehigh is a good team.

Jim's got a LOT of work to do or this team is going to put up one of his poorer records when its all said and done.

Roberson only 5 boards?

Is it too late to revise my Iggys prediction down...I don't like what I saw tonight at all. Lehigh may be a good team, but whether they are or they aren't I don't like how our team played tonight...and frankly given that we were up by 20 at the half, I don't think Lehigh is a good team.

Jim's got a LOT of work to do or this team is going to put up one of his poorer records when its all said and done.
Once again, kind of early for that.

well, coleman and obokoh got worked by the big white kid from Lehigh. im willing to see that as a warning sign. coleman looks molasses slow, maybe more games will help or maybe they wont.

A lot of positives are being overlooked. Too much focus on not beating Lehigh by 30. Obokoh's first half defense was really really good. Team defense was stout for first D-1 opponent including the favorite to win the Patriot League. Ball movement was impressive at times if not maybe excessive. They did not attack the rim enough but the signs are there for the opportunities going forward. Joseph looked much stronger and hit some big shots.

2nd half was really sloppy and we definitely took too many 3's. Still some big shots were hit by guys we need to come through. Lydon and Obokoh did a nice job in the middle and were active on the boards and in the passing lanes. Again if you watch the game a 2nd time around you will see a lot of good things to build off of. With the ball movement we had and the active defense there were a lot of points left out there if the shots fell or the chemistry was a little better.

A lot of positives are being overlooked. Too much focus on not beating Lehigh by 30. Obokoh's first half defense was really really good. Team defense was stout for first D-1 opponent including the favorite to win the Patriot League. Ball movement was impressive at times if not maybe excessive. They did not attack the rim enough but the signs are there for the opportunities going forward. Joseph looked much stronger and hit some big shots.

2nd half was really sloppy and we definitely took too many 3's. Still some big shots were hit by guys we need to come through. Lydon and Obokoh did a nice job in the middle and were active on the boards and in the passing lanes. Again if you watch the game a 2nd time around you will see a lot of good things to build off of. With the ball movement we had and the active defense there were a lot of points left out there if the shots fell or the chemistry was a little better.

Some good points for sure. The unselfishness is a good thing. But, if you call good ball movement swinging it around the perimeter with nobody moving really, or, dribbling up with one pass and a chuck; then that is not good offense. It got us 57 vs Lehigh (I know they are pretty good) but vs good ACC teams it will be a real struggle.

Some good points for sure. The unselfishness is a good thing. But, if you call good ball movement swinging it around the perimeter with nobody moving really, or, dribbling up with one pass and a chuck; then that is not good offense. It got us 57 vs Lehigh (I know they are pretty good) but vs good ACC teams it will be a real struggle.

Honestly after re-watching I saw a lot more of the efforts to penetrate and drive and kick. If Roberson flashes better in the middle it helps. Also Lehigh got away with quite a few fouls uncalled bumping cutters and twice nailing Gbinije with no call. Part of the perimeter passing is credit to Lehighs d, part missing mismatches when Lehigh switched to man and part was poor execution on the break. We missed opportunities to run that led to unnecessary half court posessions. I share some of the concern but feel better after re-watching.

I think most of us can take comfort in the realization that one game does not a trend make.

There are plenty of things both positive and negative we could focus on, but before I invest too much emotion either way I'm choosing to remind myself it's one game. The team is young and still recovering from the double sucker punch of Diagne and Bryant(or at least the fans are). Let's see if this is a team that actually finishes more strongly than it starts out. I can't say what's best for others, but I'm tired of seeing the dark side more than necessary, and think a wait and see attitude will work for me this time around.

Roberson only 5 boards?

Is it too late to revise my Iggys prediction down...I don't like what I saw tonight at all. Lehigh may be a good team, but whether they are or they aren't I don't like how our team played tonight...and frankly given that we were up by 20 at the half, I don't think Lehigh is a good team.

Yes it's too early. Someone posted that Wisky was actually UPSET yesterday and I saw that #2 Kentucky only beat Albany by 13 and I'll bet Lehigh is more highly regarded than Albany is.

That said, we can't fall in love with the three, need to work on the inside game.

Well that settles it. Hope the coaching staff is aware of this and move on accordingly.
i think they realize his limitations and look for him to to play 15-20 minutes at best. the kid has had a tough time of it. he has never had the chance to live up to the hype that surrounded him. i believe he was overrated, and i do not mean that in a negative way at all. the press and the fact that he was local guy made the hype worse.

Well that settles it. Hope the coaching staff is aware of this and move on accordingly.
Sorry. Should have said "in my opinion"

i think they realize his limitations and look for him to to play 15-20 minutes at best. the kid has had a tough time of it. he has never had the chance to live up to the hype that surrounded him. i believe he was overrated, and i do not mean that in a negative way at all. the press and the fact that he was local guy made the hype worse.
I believe JB realizes he must let DC2 knock off the rust and is still assessing the situation.

Sorry. Should have said "in my opinion"
You may well be right. Just think it's too early to tell what he can or will bring to the table this season.

My pre morning thoughts.

52 shots for us and lehigh thats not alot of shots, the game is going to be played at a lower score when that happens. There is nothing to worry about when it does. We saw 76 attempts I think it was our second exhibition by comparison thats another 10-14 baskets made.

52 shots lets say the opponent shoots roughly 40 percent which is good and hit 7 threes plus 12 freethrows thats roughly 47+7+12 66. We scored 57 by comparison and that was still 32% from three which isn't bad by any means.

Our first half defense said alot but I do worry about our ability to get in to position to get more shots then our opponents above average teams can do that occasionally while rarely giving up more :)

Got to feel bad for the Roberson and seniors they need to get past seasons out of their head completely and that means their thoughts as well with a smile . That's all there is to it.
Lets Go CUSE!

Last edited:

Roberson only 5 boards?

Are you kidding me, of course it is to early. First game of the year and already you are focusing on everything negative. Come on Man!!!(in Keyshawn Johnson voice)

The game reminded me of last year when it seemed we never put together two good halves in a row.

All the same, it was nice to see SU win a game (see football board).

And with less than 3% of the polls reporting in...
I agree its early. Imo not enough talk on this board how we held a team (basically intact) that made ncaa tourney last yr to only 47 pts. Pretty darn good, give em credit. Basketball is more than just offense. I also find it mildly humorous that most of us here came to the profound conclusion after 2 exhib games that this was a very potent offensive team but weak defensive team. And then the lehigh game indicates - hey maybe just the opposite. And then the fans are frustrated that their assessment was a little off, possibly! Mulligan on the season!? We just beat an ncaa tourney team from last yr by 10 pts, not a half bad start to the season! Lets see how it ACTUALLY plays out. Go Cuse!!

Last edited:
well, coleman and obokoh got worked by the big white kid from Lehigh. im willing to see that as a warning sign. coleman looks molasses slow, maybe more games will help or maybe they wont.

The "big white kid" is the reigning Conference POY. He works a lot of college players.
Chino had 4 blocks, and overall did a decent (and honestly, much better than expected) job out there.

Coleman ran pretty well, IMO. It was his first offical game back after nearly 2 years...

you're right, no way he'll get any better. Let's just write the whole season off now.

The "big white kid" is the reigning Conference POY. He works a lot of college players.
Chino had 4 blocks, and overall did a decent (and honestly, much better than expected) job out there.

Coleman ran pretty well, IMO. It was his first offical game back after nearly 2 years...

you're right, no way he'll get any better. Let's just write the whole season off now.
i didn't say he won't get better. I said he might, or he might not.

That was maybe the biggest bright spot for me. I'm not sure prior to last night there were many moments where I didn't feel like Obokoh was the worst player on the floor - including against the D2 teams. :) He held his own last night - very encouraging to see him have an impact on the defensive end. Keep it up, Chino!

Roberson only 5 boards?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom