Is MCW really still a lock to leave? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Is MCW really still a lock to leave?

you don't need bulk or strength to play in the NBA
no, but a basketball IQ would help.

hes got to lead the country in 'jumps in the air with no one to pass to', as well as 'picking up your dribble when pressed'...not to mention 'dribbling right into the hands of your defender'.

and in the nba, he wont have triche to take all the heat.

Oh Lord

Raymond Felton and Jason Kidd would break him in half...kid makes Jonny Flynn look like Dennis Johnson.

Raymond Felton would eat him (literally) as an appetizer

hes got to lead the country in 'jumps in the air with no one to pass to', as well as 'picking up your dribble when pressed'...not to mention 'dribbling right into the hands of your defender'.

Oh Lord

Triche has been taking the heat for maybe a week and a half. MCW has been getting killed on here and other places of half of the season.

Triche has been taking the heat for maybe a week and a half. MCW has been getting killed on here and other places of half of the season.

MCW's great problem has been the high expectations of him by some. We knew what we had with Triche after watching him for three years. We had hoped for improvement in his decision making. But our expectation wasn't that he was going to be Michael Jordan redux.

After seeing flashes of brilliance from MCW in a supporting role last year, the expectation was that he would be great fpr 40 minutes this year. And he does continue to have flashes of brilliance. I have come out of my chair many times when he bounds inside and stuffs the ball.

But along with these flashes have been lots of plays that have been far less than brilliant (Turnovers, bricks, weak passes, etc.). He really isn't strong enough to be the "go to guy" we had hoped. He's a good player ... but not the great one some had hoped he would be. So the unrest among the natives on here on MCW are about unmet very high expectations.

Part of MCW's problem is the overall offensive weakness of the rest of the team. Triche and MCW end up at the top of the zone with a hot rock in their hands and no place to go with it.

But the other part of the problem is a sub-segment of our fans who are much too prone to having high expectations based on small samples. Some said Cooney was going to be a bigger, stronger version of GMac based on tiny snippets.

We have fans on the football side predicting freshman starting based on favorable press clippings. It's nuts!

Maybe there will be some learning after this season and people starting to understand that the proof of the pudding is really in the eating. That, with some notable exceptions, no one knows who is going to be great, how much a player will improve an who is going to be a bust.

Who predicted a lightly-recruited Otto Porter would be the best players in the Big East and one of the best in the country?

It's interesting how much the poster opinion as a whole has changed through the season about our guards. Great optimism for both in the beginning of the year. If anything, MCW had a greater backing than Brandon. As the season progressed it was generally good for both until the BE season started. Then it was a gradual dip for both until recently when they have gotten hammered badly by our board with MCW getting hit a little harder than Brandon.
As a couple of posters have said, the expectations for both were probably too high. Or maybe it was just the high level that many wanted it to be.
I think at this point most of us would be happy with relatively mistake free efforts from both of them to end the season. Oh, and an extra basket or three!

Edit

Just read Townie's post. We must have been on the same wave length! Credit to him for greater expansion of thought.

It's interesting how much the poster opinion as a whole has changed through the season about our guards. Great optimism for both in the beginning of the year. If anything, MCW had a greater backing than Brandon. As the season progressed it was generally good for both until the BE season started. Then it was a gradual dip for both until recently when they have gotten hammered badly by our board with MCW getting hit a little harder than Brandon.
As a couple of posters have said, the expectations for both were probably too high. Or maybe it was just the high level that many wanted it to be.
I think at this point most of us would be happy with relatively mistake free efforts from both of them to end the season. Oh, and an extra basket or three!
I think most peoples expectations of Brandon were fair. But many of us (including me) overrated MCW.

Obviously hindsight is 20/20, but I wonder how MCW would be now if he got about 20mpg last year. I'm glad he didn't, mostly because we didn't need him last yaer, but you'd have to think he'd be a better player today if he got more run last year.

I think most peoples expectations of Brandon were fair. But many of us (including me) overrated MCW.

Obviously hindsight is 20/20, but I wonder how MCW would be now if he got about 20mpg last year. I'm glad he didn't, mostly because we didn't need him last yaer, but you'd have to think he'd be a better player today if he got more run last year.

But by the same token, I'm sure that MCW's development was helped by having to play against guys like Scoop / Dion [the latter being probably the best player he competed against at the 2 all season long] in practice every day, as opposed to being thrown to the wolves early. Works both ways.

Not only did most overrate him, but it seems they have anger towards him for not meeting THEIR expectations. He is a victim of the press and fans expectations, as well as a little bit of buying into his own hype i am sure. Bottomline is he is not a BAD player he is just not as good as some people expected. and that is on them

But by the same token, I'm sure that MCW's development was helped by having to play against guys like Scoop / Dion [the latter being probably the best player he competed against at the 2 all season long] in practice every day, as opposed to being thrown to the wolves early. Works both ways.

I agree, but the real benefit is to have both. I am not in the MCW should have gotten more minutes camp. We had to superior players in front of him.

Interesting comparison with Scoop. I'd say right now, MCW is certainly not a better player than Scoop was as a senior. MCW has a different game and is superior in athleticism and rebounding (he is underrated in his rebounding), but in all other areas of the game, Scoop was superior. He really learned how to manage the team and the game after a rocky couple years, he developed a dependable shot and more importantly, he mostly learned when not to shoot it.

Weak draft or not, it was very questionable that Scoop would get drafted at all last year. It is just hard to believe that MCW, a player who is demonstrably inferior at this point in his career (the point at which he will be drafted), is a lock lottery pick.

Scoop improved dramatically in many areas of the game related to maturity and game management. Running a high level college team helped him with this. When MCW develops these same skills, maturity, feel - then he will truly be a lottery type player. The bonus being, he will presumably also be stronger and have a chance to put on some weight.

But I know nothing of these things. I hate to see a kid like MCW blow his chance at reaching his dream by getting drafted - being labelled a bust, and being discarded by the game before he is 24 years old. That seems very likely if he comes out this year.

Not only did most overrate him, but it seems they have anger towards him for not meeting THEIR expectations. He is a victim of the press and fans expectations, as well as a little bit of buying into his own hype i am sure. Bottomline is he is not a BAD player he is just not as good as some people expected. and that is on them

But what are we arguing here? That he is a lottery pick that isn't very good? I just don't get this. Lottery picks rarely underwhelm college fans by not meeting expectations. Lottery picks rarely get described as "he's not a BAD player, he's just not that good..."

Oh Lord

No, but having a competent guard as a sidekick would help him out a lot.

Interesting comparison with Scoop. I'd say right now, MCW is certainly not a better player than Scoop was as a senior. MCW has a different game and is superior in athleticism and rebounding (he is underrated in his rebounding), but in all other areas of the game, Scoop was superior. He really learned how to manage the team and the game after a rocky couple years, he developed a dependable shot and more importantly, he mostly learned when not to shoot it.

Weak draft or not, it was very questionable that Scoop would get drafted at all last year. It is just hard to believe that MCW, a player who is demonstrably inferior at this point in his career (the point at which he will be drafted), is a lock lottery pick.

Scoop improved dramatically in many areas of the game related to maturity and game management. Running a high level college team helped him with this. When MCW develops these same skills, maturity, feel - then he will truly be a lottery type player. The bonus being, he will presumably also be stronger and have a chance to put on some weight.

But I know nothing of these things. I hate to see a kid like MCW blow his chance at reaching his dream by getting drafted - being labelled a bust, and being discarded by the game before he is 24 years old. That seems very likely if he comes out this year.

This is an interesting thought. If MCW could play 2 more years and mature along the same development arc that Scoop did, you'd really have one hell of a player. But 1) every player is different and improvements in physical skills and maturity don't automatically follow the same, and 2) we're likely to never get the opportunity to see if it would happen anyway.

No, but having a competent guard as a sidekick would help him out a lot.
i feel bad for him, that he needs a Robin.

Syracuse also leads the country in ignoring the patheticness of our mickeyd aa's, so we can blame the 2g from bumblefluck upstate NY as the root of all evil.:noidea:

Oh Lord

i feel bad for him, that he needs a Robin.

Syracuse also leads the country in ignoring the patheticness of our mickeyd aa's, so we can blame the 2g from bumblefluck upstate NY as the root of all evil.:noidea:

Oh Lord

Look dude, they have both played like crap for the last 6 weeks and deserve equal blame. You do the blame shifting game as much or more than anyone, then get bent out of shape when it comes back at you.

And as far as needing a Robin goes, you don't think Scoop and Triche benefitted last year from playing alongside a lottery pick?

I agree, but the real benefit is to have both. I am not in the MCW should have gotten more minutes camp. We had to superior players in front of him.

Agree 100%.

Look dude, they have both played like crap for the last 6 weeks and deserve equal blame. You do the blame shifting game as much or more than anyone, then get bent out of shape when it comes back at you.

And as far as needing a Robin goes, you don't think Scoop and Triche benefitted last year from playing alongside a lottery pick?
what? how am i bent? triche is triche. i dont expect anything out of him.

hes a C level player. i treat him as such. would love to see a little B level play, but if he cant he cant. and the biggest reason why, is because MCW doesnt have 'it'.

and i think waiters benefited from playing along side them just as much.

i have low expectations of everybody when the season starts, then i see what it looks like. MCW looked to be the real deal, but hes not. i never bought it into it anyway, look it up. just feel that triches slump is caused by the 'stars' not being any good.

i dont give equal blame when 1 guy is supposed to be michael jordan and the other is jud buechler.

Should MCW stay and improve himself? Yes. Will he? No.
I've never had the feeling that MCW really cares all that much about being at Syracuse. I maybe all wrong, but I've never sensed that much genuine feeling between him and the team as a whole.

Come on. Seriously? Just last season he was the _first_ guy off the bench every single time we were on a run or someone deserved a pat in the back.

There is plenty of stuff to be frustrated about with this season. It's awful. But this is absolutely not one of them.

44cuse

Come on. Seriously? Just last season he was the _first_ guy off the bench every single time we were on a run or someone deserved a pat in the back.

There is plenty of stuff to be frustrated about with this season. It's awful. But this is absolutely not one of them.

44cuse
And this year?

44cuse

Agreed. Everything in MCW's history [going back to when he was in HS, him coming to all of the advanced camps at SU, the early commit, etc.] suggests that this kid is Orange through and through.

I've been critical of certain aspects of his play, but I don't think this is a valid criticism. And I don't think him opting to leave [if that's how it works out, which seems likely] to secure lottery pick money means that he doesn't bleed Orange, either.

If he goes, I have no ill feeling towards him. He chose to play here and there is no doubt he has given his best for the team. I just want to see him succeed.

SI mock draft has him at #11...moving up.

Carter-Williams' assist numbers have dipped recently -- he hasn't had more than six in his last five games and has had just one double-digit dime night since early January -- but his size and natural playmaking instincts draw comparisons to a healthy Shaun Livingston, convincing GMs that he can be a starter at the next level. "You can polish his jump shot and work on his handle," said an Eastern Conference assistant GM. "But the way he sees the floor and the way he can create in transition are rare."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nb...clemore-nerlens-noel/?sct=hp_t13_a2&eref=sihp

And this year?

And this year what? He's looked no different. In fact, he looks like he cares more than BT and JS...our seniors. He's the one on the floor who actually gets pissed off.

There a re million things to criticize this team for and MCW is no exception. But his loyalty or interest in SU isn't one of them.

44cuse

SI mock draft has him at #11...moving up.

Carter-Williams' assist numbers have dipped recently -- he hasn't had more than six in his last five games and has had just one double-digit dime night since early January -- but his size and natural playmaking instincts draw comparisons to a healthy Shaun Livingston, convincing GMs that he can be a starter at the next level. "You can polish his jump shot and work on his handle," said an Eastern Conference assistant GM. "But the way he sees the floor and the way he can create in transition are rare."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nba/news/20130313/2013-nba-draft-big-board-ben-mclemore-nerlens-noel/?sct=hp_t13_a2&eref=sihp[/quote]

Unfortunately lately he has been creating for the other team in transition lately more than he has for the Orange :eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diamondmakr

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom