Is Puff Daddy's Son On Our Recruiting Radar? | Syracusefan.com

Is Puff Daddy's Son On Our Recruiting Radar?

syr02esq

Starter
Lemming's show this morning discussed the top NY state football prospects. Sean "Puff Daddy" Combs and his son were on the show. The son is a 5' 8", 150 lb, 4 star 2012 cornerback prospect from Iona Prep. I didn't get to watch the interview but was surprised to see this kid as a 4 star prospect. He's very small and needs to grow fast.

Is he on SU's radar or is he a USC wanna be?

Honestly dont care if little diddy can ball or not he better be a top priority. His dads mega rich and hes fricken SEAN COMBS and if that can't get us some exposer idk what will. Getting Diddy on the SU bus would help give this football program some positive exposer and with a rapper/producer's son on the team maybe we can get a little swag

to my knowledge not on our radar

We need rich football fathers. Then we need to know how to coddle them (e.g., Bob Burton).

That 4 stars does sound very suspicious unless he runs a 4.2 40 and has a 40 inch vertical. 5'8" 150 lbs is very small, especially given the way players and schools embellish height and weight stats.

Hadn't thought of the wealthy family benefit. Certainly couldn't be a bad thing.

Still, I hear "5'8" corner" and get flashbacks of Calvin Johnson and every other middling-to-good wideout leaping over our tiny defensive backs and making the last decade of watching Syracuse football so miserable.

Bring him in even if he never plays, the publicity itself because of his dad is worth it if hes a good person and not a thug. Im sure his dad will be in attendance at the games being an attention whore : )

this kind of thing can turn out to be more trouble than its worth. I think the kid is vastly overrated at this point.

I agree that we should get him. If P Diddy was rocking Cuse gear, it certainly wouldn't be a bad thing for us in building the program and our fan base.

this kind of thing can turn out to be more trouble than its worth. I think the kid is vastly overrated at this point.

really? so youve watched him play right?

Hadn't thought of the wealthy family benefit. Certainly couldn't be a bad thing.

Still, I hear "5'8" corner" and get flashbacks of Calvin Johnson and every other middling-to-good wideout leaping over our tiny defensive backs and making the last decade of watching Syracuse football so miserable.

The height is not death-knell, as Frank Minnifield was 5'9" and one of the best cover CBs in the 80s for the Browns. But, he was quick as all get-out and had a 40" vertical. WRs were typically not as tall as they are now, though.

Ok - so you've watched him play and he's not a legit 4 star. He's a top 2 star or a pretty good 3 star? Which is what we've been excited to get the last couple of years. Add in pops with some cash and as far as our program is concerned he's more like a 5 star.

Kevin Abrams was 5-8, and he had a pretty decent career for us.

But yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if he's more like a 2 star kid who is pumped up because of who is dad is. If he's legit, that's fantastic. I don't see why we don't pursue him either way, of course.

Honestly dont care if little diddy can ball or not he better be a top priority. His dads mega rich and hes fricken SEAN COMBS and if that can't get us some exposer idk what will. Getting Diddy on the SU bus would help give this football program some positive exposer and with a rapper/producer's son on the team maybe we can get a little swag
Do we know if Marrone would be willing to offer a scholie on a kid he knows won't see the field? I think Marrone has more class than that, but may be his business sense might decide otherwise?

How do we know he won't see the field? Maybe the kid can actually play. I wouldn't be at all shocked if this was sort of like when Lil Romeo (that's who it was, right?) was "recruited" by USC, of course, but who knows. The kid could actually be a legitimate player.

Has anyone actually seen him play?

EDIT: According to his profile on, er, our PREVIOUS home, he's got offers from Illinois, Iowa, Virginia, West Virginia and UCLA, though they have him listed as a two star prospect.

How do we know he won't see the field? Maybe the kid can actually play. I wouldn't be at all shocked if this was sort of like when Lil Romeo (that's who it was, right?) was "recruited" by USC, of course, but who knows. The kid could actually be a legitimate player.

Has anyone actually seen him play?

EDIT: According to his profile on, er, our PREVIOUS home, he's got offers from Illinois, Iowa, Virginia, West Virginia and UCLA, though they have him listed as a two star prospect.

Lil Romeo was best friends with Demar Derosan, it was a package deal. It had nothing to do with his one hit wonder garbage rapping father. Puff Daddy's on another level, he's a billionaire entrepreneur and would have huge effects on our program if he donated.

Actually saw some film on the kid and why he is talented I would like to see him compete against an higher level of talent. I am looking at him like any other athlete not based on who his father is or how deep is his pockets. Sorry to be un American and rate him as an individual.

Actually saw some film on the kid and why he is talented I would like to see him compete against an higher level of talent. I am looking at him like any other athlete not based on who his father is or how deep is his pockets. Sorry to be un American and rate him as an individual.

not convinced you saw film and that you know how to judge talent :cool:

I believe he is also very close (maybe cousins) with Deaysean Rippy...

not convinced you saw film and that you know how to judge talent :cool:
It's ok I am not hear to prove or convince anything to anyone. My judge of talent is just as good or bad as the next person here.

I'd watch out what you wish for fellas... there is certainly a lot of potential here, perhaps the kid is worth the rating he is receiving, the pub that could be brought on by the ol man donning a Cuse jersey just once in public, and playing in Combs Field for the next three decades. However, do you know how ridiculously easy, even though perhaps inadvertent, it would be for there to be a violation that sends the last decade of rebuilding crashing to the ground?

I'd watch out what you wish for fellas... there is certainly a lot of potential here, perhaps the kid is worth the rating he is receiving, the pub that could be brought on by the ol man donning a Cuse jersey just once in public, and playing in Combs Field for the next three decades. However, do you know how ridiculously easy, even though perhaps inadvertent, it would be for there to be a violation that sends the last decade of rebuilding crashing to the ground?

Yes, it would sound like the Dome crashing to the ground, and us having a new retractable roof stadium. ;)

Yes, it would sound like the Dome crashing to the ground, and us having a new retractable roof stadium. ;)

Haha, very true, and it would be nice as hell... in all seriousness though, every program has people that funnel in money, some just more so than others. And I worry about the fact that a benefactor as public as Puffy, mixed with the fact we the perfect school for the NCAA to use as an example, and the downside is very fierce.

Why would a recruiting violation be easier here ... than it would be with some low-income kid who has a posse with their palms outstretched? I don't think you get many recruiting violations with rich kids because recruiting violations generally involve either money or other "gifts."