Is Syracuse a legit #2? | Syracusefan.com

Is Syracuse a legit #2?

syrabillslican

Walk On
Yes, they are a great team. No need to dispute that fact. But I still am having trouble believing that they are #2.

Quality wins: Cal, Baylor, Nova (you could argue only BU was quality, Cal was not the same team at that point in season). Nova is maybe the most overrated team in the top25.

They basically played no road games until ACC play.

Maybe this is me trying to justify seeing them as overrated, but I truly think that MSU, Wisconsin, OKst, florida, Kansas, Iowa State, and SDSU are all better.

I would like to play them though because they, even as #2, are not on our level.

Right now, we might have the widest gap between a #1 and #2 team in many, many years.

http://forum.goazcats.com/showthread.php?t=131438

Yes, Syracuse is one of the top two best teams in the country and frankly anyone who thinks otherwise is either living under a rock or mentally handicapped. Seriously. I am tired of hearing about how Syracuse never plays anyone or any other excuse these clowns come up with. We beat everyone we play, yet Wichita State is in the top 5 and no one is bitching about them being up there. Sure, JB can schedule a murderers row of teams in pre-conference like some other programs, but that is not his style. In fact, he has very good style and is a boss. He is the 2nd all time coach for a reason and anyone who doesn't respect our program or status in the college basketball world can eat a .

I still don't understand why all Zona fans think Duke's homecourt is MSG. On every ESPN article and most posts I see they say they beat Duke on the road over and over and over. They realize MSG is in New York right?

Uh, do you mean people think MSG is a home game for the Orange? Well, it is because whenever I go to MSG it's packed with Orange. However, it's six hours from Syracuse It's not Duke or UNC is playing a NCAA tournament game in North Carolina!
No, the Zona/Duke game is what I am talking about. They claim constantly they beat Duke on the road. Apparently Duke moved to New York City while I was watching conference play get started.

You should bookmark that/those threads and repost them after we beat them in the NC game. If they beat Wisconsin.

Arizona has the most butthurt of any fanbase I have ever seen. It's absolutely amazing. They blow Michigan State, Rutgers, and UConn out of the water in that department.

Seriously.

Zona's gripping.

Not only are we a legitimate top 3 team, but we are a legitimate top 3 team with final 4 experience.

Arizona's scared, I would be too.

Arizona has the most butthurt of any fanbase I have ever seen. It's absolutely amazing. They blow Michigan State, Rutgers, and UConn out of the water in that department.

Seriously.

Save for that run two years ago they have been MIA on the national scene for the last few years of Olsen and then the next few years after that. There fans dont remember what its like to actually be on top, at least Uconn has won some titles recently what the hell has Zona done the last decade?

That's great analysis by that Zona poster. How can one possibly view Baylor as better than Nova, but also much better.

I am a skeptic about Nova staying in the top 5, but the number systems and beating Kansas and Iowa show they are a high level team.

Arizona: welcome back to being somewhat relevant. Let's see if you can stay around at that level for a while. I honestly can't remember the last time they made a run in the NCAA's.

That's great analysis by that Zona poster. How can one possibly view Baylor as better than Nova, but also much better.

I am a skeptic about Nova staying in the top 5, but the number systems and beating Kansas and Iowa show they are a high level team.
Agreed. It's hard to judge Baylor, but they have played some really good competition, and in a good conference this year. Their only bad loss was to Texas Tech I believe. I still think a win over Baylor is better than a win over Duke on neutral courts. Just sayin as of now thats my opinion.

Funny that he mentions Cal as a quality win but leaves out Pitt and Minnesota. Indiana and UNC should not be dismissed either.

Funny that he mentions Cal as a quality win but leaves out Pitt and Minnesota. Indiana and UNC should not be dismissed either.

After yesterday's loss to Northwestern at home, I think Indiana can be dismissed. Agreed on the rest.

Arizona: welcome back to being somewhat relevant. Let's see if you can stay around at that level for a while. I honestly can't remember the last time they made a run in the NCAA's.

They were 3 points from the final four in 2011. Almost spared us the UConn title.

My favorite is one guy who keeps saying we have played only one top 25 team all year. Haven't we beaten three with Baylor, Nova, and Pitt?

Depends on how you define it, I guess. (Not sure if the thread on the Zona board was before or after the Pitt game, to be fair). And what standard; RPI, Polls, Ken Pom, etc. Baylor dropped 2 this week and might fall out of the AP poll. They're 43rd in Ken Pom. Of course if you go with Ken Pom then we have beaten #2 and #6 (both at home). I think youd have to say Zona has more impressive wins but we have beaten a solid amount of teams who will be in the field in a few months. Zona has 4 wins gainst KP top 30 teams; 3 on the road and one on a neutral.

Last edited:
Zona needs to worry about Colorado Thursday night not us.

Last I checked they have a good win at SDSU and struggled to beat fringe top 25 duke, ucla, and michigan whose team names are more impressive then this years teams.

Based on resume, I'd say Cuse aren't a legit #2 because they are the legit #1.