Is the 7’2” Experiment Done? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Is the 7’2” Experiment Done?

I thought Sidibe was fantastic! Defended the rim very well. Was more aggressive with the ball. I was very happy for him. And we NEED him, so there’s that.

I don’t want to see Marek, Chukwu or Sid get steamrolled by Zion, but it seems that will be their fate. :(

I'm sure there are some on this thread who don't see much of a difference.

C’mon everyone knows that if Dr Frankenstein was building a 7’2” monster center he would have stolen Shak’s body for the monster, not Shawn Bradley’s.

I thought Sidibe was fantastic! Defended the rim very well. Was more aggressive with the ball. I was very happy for him. And we NEED him, so there’s that.

I don’t want to see Marek, Chukwu or Sid get steamrolled by Zion, but it seems that will be their fate. :(

If so, they're going to have plenty of company.

I think they should start Adrian Autry Jr on him and just let him dog him until he fouls out.

That will buy our centers about 3 minutes.

That reminds me of when Rak had that nice senior season, but seemed to disappear in the game I wanted him to do well in the most, against that oaf UNC had. Im sick of those 2 teams just using us like a cheap *h*re.

Good point on the defense too. It used to be on here that BS was considered the more offensive minded, and PC the more defensive...but I was very impressed with BS on defense. The only BS I didnt like this game were the calls from the refs.

If so, they're going to have plenty of company.

I think they should start Adrian Autry Jr on him and just let him dog him until he fouls out.

That will buy our centers about 3 minutes.
HA HA HA HA! Yes, our players will be in excellent company. Is it wrong for me to hope that Zion gets the flu on Monday?

JB clearly explained why PC didn't play in his press conference:

“It gets Thomas away from the basket,” Boeheim said. “If (Thomas) doesn’t come up, (Dolezaj) can make that. It opens up things for the drive. When Paschal is in there, Thomas stays right in the middle of the lane, we can’t get anything going to the basket and they’re such a good perimeter defensive team that it’s hard to get shots out there. You have to find a way to get him away so when you do drive you have a chance to finish. It was trying to be more mobile.”

“It gets Thomas away from the basket,” Boeheim said. “If (Thomas) doesn’t come up, (Dolezaj) can make that. It opens up things for the drive. When Paschal is in there, Thomas stays right in the middle of the lane, we can’t get anything going to the basket and they’re such a good perimeter defensive team that it’s hard to get shots out there. You have to find a way to get him away so when you do drive you have a chance to finish. It was trying to be more mobile.”
I was about to post the same thing.
And I expect JB to employ the same strategy against Duke.

That is exactly what the esteemed poster Townie was alluding to.

JB did a nice job coaching last night. This was a solid move and throwing the press on at crunch time played a big role in icing the gamefor Syracuse.\

Surprised Brownell elected to cover MD with Thomas so far from the basket so much of the game. I think he would have been smarter to let Marek take shots from the perimeter.

i remember many on the football forum writing off dungey after the fsu game. chuk's relative importance compared to eric's is minimal. still, you cannot just relegate a long term senior center to the dumpster. sid may be improving, but he is far from reliable. marek at the five will have some very foul prone games. depending on matchups and game flows there will still be times we will need chuk before this season is done. chuk is limited, but that does not mean that he has no value to this team.

JB did a nice job coaching last night. This was a solid move and throwing the press on at crunch time played a big role in icing the gamefor Syracuse.\

Surprised Brownell elected to cover MD with Thomas so far from the basket so much of the game. I think he would have been smarter to let Marek take shots from the perimeter.
That is a good point. What will coaches do going forward? Marek has got to be ready to shoot with no conscience.

The late press was effective. But one slick move early in the game was tweaking the front line rotation so that Marek stayed on the floor but moved to the 4 so that Sidibe could play in the middle. That solved the problem of Oshae's TO's and we immediately got separation with that lineup. Hughes stayed on the floor and has become almost irreplaceable with his scoring ability.

Last edited:

You must have left out the part where he explained why PC didn't play when MD was out or playing at the 4.

I hope and think PC will work his way back into games going forward. He has been an impressive defensive presence in the past and hope JB can find and use that in the future.

This has once again awakened my hope for some pressing in future games with PC as the anchor. 15 fouls at the 5 is quite the luxury. And SU has some depth at guard now too, with a potential uptempo Carey would be a great fit.

One positive of Chukwu not playing is that we don't have to see him miss wide open dunks.

I hope and think PC will work his way back into games going forward. He has been an impressive defensive presence in the past and hope JB can find and use that in the future.

This has once again awakened my hope for some pressing in future games with PC as the anchor. 15 fouls at the 5 is quite the luxury. And SU has some depth at guard now too, with a potential uptempo Carey would be a great fit.

Agree. I think Paschal will still contribute this year. He can give Cuse some good minutes, alter some shots and can play a role when we press. Having a 7'2 guy with ACC and NCAA tournament experience as your backup or third string center is not a bad thing.

Cuse!

I can see the logic of this but it begs the question why JB had his team take 400 threes last night.

Good post, loved the press at that stage. Highly unorthodox.

current center depth-chart:
1. MD
2. BS
3. PC

All 3 will play at times during the rest of the season. However, @ this point, giving minutes to PC means taking minutes from the other 2 and that makes litte sense for this season and even less for the prospects of the team in upcoming seasons.

MD suffered early in my opinion because of a lack of playing time - the more minutes he gets the better he will play. All players basically are going to be better and more secure in their roles the bigger the role is.

BS presses too hard sometimes out there I think because he wants to establish a bigger role. I think the more minutes he plays the better and less spastic he will be out there. although I think he is unused to playing extended minutes that he actually got winded - but once he gets used to playing more -he will be better with more minutes.

I think playing PC is not only bad for the team in comparison to the other bigs - it is also bad for the development of MD and BS. PC is a great extra 5 fouls when they are needed - nothing more...but he will def be needed throughout the year. I just hope he doesn't check-out on the team after being demoted to 3rd string.

Because for the most part they came off of ball movement and were good looks?

Some did. Many did not. The terrible movement and no setup for the shots is why our team has been bottom 5% in the nation in 3 point shooting in recent history. We have made a few strides in recent games, but it is almost like house breaking a wild animal. They've lived for so long without any kind of offense, it is not natural to run anything and they have a hard time sticking to it for a whole game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom