Is the coaching staff going for a Fab Five 2013 Class? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Is the coaching staff going for a Fab Five 2013 Class?

O'sully I agree, I'd like to see Triche use his rare combination of athleticism and strength and be a 5 rpg guy

Not that I'm even close to an expert on NBA potential but it just seems to me the only thing holding DC2 back from being a Sean May or Al Horford type of player is his weight and conditioning. Although it may be true that he lacks natural quickness / explosiveness needed to reach that level, not sure. We'll see.
Are we talking about the same Sean May that started 25 games in his 4 year NBA career? The same Sean May that the Nets released in Sep 2010. The same Sean May whose last 3 teams were in order; Fenerbahce Ulker, KK Zagreb and Sutor Basket Montegranaro. I do agree his body type is that of Sean May, hopefully he will be as good of a college player and for his sake I hope he is a better pro than May was. May was not ready for the NBA and now he's out of it. DC2 will be a great player at SU, I just don't see him as a 1 and done for his own sake. I don't see the Horford comparison at all, I think that is very optimistic.

Are we talking about the same Sean May that started 25 games in his 4 year NBA career? The same Sean May that the Nets released in Sep 2010. The same Sean May whose last 3 teams were in order; Fenerbahce Ulker, KK Zagreb and Sutor Basket Montegranaro. I do agree his body type is that of Sean May, hopefully he will be as good of a college player and for his sake I hope he is a better pro than May was. May was not ready for the NBA and now he's out of it. DC2 will be a great player at SU, I just don't see him as a 1 and done for his own sake. I don't see the Horford comparison at all, I think that is very optimistic.
Crazy to think his professional career was negligible after being the anchor on a national title team

The staff should make this happen:

G - Tyler Ennis
G - Stanford Robinson
G/F - Rondae Jefferson
F - Goodluck Okonoboh

G - Isaiah Whitehead
F - Noah Vonleh
F - Chris McCollough
C - Dakari Johnson

This

This

EastCoast2 said:
The staff should make this happen:

G - Tyler Ennis
G - Stanford Robinson
G/F - Rondae Jefferson
F - Goodluck Okonoboh

G - Isaiah Whitehead
F - Noah Vonleh
F - Chris McCollough
C - Dakari Johnson

Load up on guards in 2013 then reload on forwards in 2014​

Robinson is a lefty which is always fun to watch. Nice range/has good quickness/handles and can finish if needed. I wouldn't classify him a smooth yet. I would say smooth during periods of the game. He is playing for the best AAU coach in the DMV IMO this summer with team takeover so he will improve a lot this summer. He will also get in your face and lock you down on defense. His only down fall is he doesn't have that nasty I want to take the game over streak. He is almost too much of a team player to a fault. I think he isn't as good of a shooter as Trevor but is a much better all around player. He plays for Paul the 6th which is 20 minutes away from were I live. He was the main reason they won the the title over Dematha which had a far better roster that included Grant, BJ and James Robinson. He decided to take those three games over which is a good sign it's coming together. All in all I think he has the tools to come in and start as a freshmen. Really excited about him and I think he would be a bigger get then BJ personally. The only thing that will be hard for us is getting him away from Maryland he lives in Prince George county and travels into Fairfax every day for school.
Nice breakdown, thanks. I watched Robinson three times last summer, so it's good to hear an update about his game. I thought he had a smooth overall game, in which he did a lot of things well but not great. Three level scorer who can shoot and penetrate but would get careless with the rock from time to time. I'm definitely looking forward to hearing and seeing more of him this spring/summer.

Nice breakdown, thanks. I watched Robinson three times last summer, so it's good to hear an update about his game. I thought he had a smooth overall game, in which he did a lot of things well but not great. Three level scorer who can shoot and penetrate but would get careless with the rock from time to time. I'm definitely looking forward to hearing and seeing more of him this spring/summer.
Do you catch a lot of the AAU tournaments? If so I am very jealous the regular high school games are the only one's I get to watch besides a local AAU tournament. I think you will see some improvement from last year with Robinson I feel his handles got better from the start of the season to the end. I don't think it's great but it should be getting close by the time he hits college. He also is improving his jump shot he hit a huge shot at the buzzer to beat Dematha once this year at Paul the 6th (they played each other four times this season if you count the end of the year tournament) so that was good to see. I only catch Paul the 6th when Dematha plays because of my connection to the Robinson family but at that level (as I am sure you know well) is so fun to watch since that league can recruit kids coming out of middle school. All in all I think he is a special player but not special enough to bolt after 1 year which is what I like to see SU get. Also on a side note Francis thanks for all your updates and hard work I really appreciate it I don't really see anyone play who isn't DMV area because being a family man these days I can't just take off anymore lol

EastCoast2 said:
The staff should make this happen:​
2013​
G - Tyler Ennis​
G - Stanford Robinson​
G/F - Rondae Jefferson​
F - Goodluck Okonoboh​
2014​
G - Isaiah Whitehead​
F - Noah Vonleh​
F - Chris McCollough​
C - Dakari Johnson​
Load up on guards in 2013 then reload on forwards in 2014​

if we got this or remotely close...
happy.gif

Not sure we are truly in it with Rondae Jefferson. Without any sources, I would think Kentucky (they will enter his recruitment soon enough) and Pitt will be VERY hard to beat with their connections in the high school hoops scene in Chester, Pennsylvania. From what I've seen of Jefferson, he would be a very nice addition to Syracuse. However, he is not the type of player that will impress on the court with flash plays, but instead his drive and determination will impress as well as when the game is over, his team will have won again and he will have filled up the stat columns in the boxscore.

Do you catch a lot of the AAU tournaments? If so I am very jealous the regular high school games are the only one's I get to watch besides a local AAU tournament. I think you will see some improvement from last year with Robinson I feel his handles got better from the start of the season to the end. I don't think it's great but it should be getting close by the time he hits college. He also is improving his jump shot he hit a huge shot at the buzzer to beat Dematha once this year at Paul the 6th (they played each other four times this season if you count the end of the year tournament) so that was good to see. I only catch Paul the 6th when Dematha plays because of my connection to the Robinson family but at that level (as I am sure you know well) is so fun to watch since that league can recruit kids coming out of middle school. All in all I think he is a special player but not special enough to bolt after 1 year which is what I like to see SU get. Also on a side note Francis thanks for all your updates and hard work I really appreciate it I don't really see anyone play who isn't DMV area because being a family man these days I can't just take off anymore lol
Thanks for the kind words, I really appreciate it. I try to catch a few tourneys here n there but not as much as I used to. I usually try to catch some of the full games that are archived online from the major events. Do you know much about Josh Hart? I think he's solid as well, but I question his ability to create off the bounce, but he always seems to put up big numbers scoring wise.

Mcw will play 30 mins a game and put up big numbers imo. Is it a stretch to say he could go pro if he bulks up enough?
Don't even think he has to bulk up to be honest. That could/will come at the next level if he decided to leave. If he has a great season like we all expect him to and has a great March, he's gone.

Not necessarily no. However do you honestly think he will be NBA ready all around in a year from now? I am curious to see how he holds up physically this year from playing 35+ games.

The real question is how you define "NBA ready". If you include "draft on potential", which I don't...then he'll be "NBA Ready". But if it means ready ton contribute, he absolutely needs 2 yrs minimum.

This isn't that hard gang. The guys that are "NBA Ready", you can see it in their bodies. LeBron, Kobe, etc. They get it done when they get there as well. Draft on potential guys...they don't always get it done.

44cuse

That's very possible, considering he's a 6-5 point guard.
I swear MCW looks taller than 6'5". I saw times this year where he was next to KJo and appeared talled. Or maybe KJo was not really 6'8"?

The real question is how you define "NBA ready". If you include "draft on potential", which I don't...then he'll be "NBA Ready". But if it means ready ton contribute, he absolutely needs 2 yrs minimum.

This isn't that hard gang. The guys that are "NBA Ready", you can see it in their bodies. LeBron, Kobe, etc. They get it done when they get there as well. Draft on potential guys...they don't always get it done.

44cuse
Shabaz Muhammed looks NBA ready.

What if RAK starts at the 5, and DC2 comes off the bench?

Not necessarily no. However do you honestly think he will be NBA ready all around in a year from now? I am curious to see how he holds up physically this year from playing 35+ games.

Who would have thought Fab would be NBA ready at this time last year?

John Garcia reports that Coleman has been told by the staff to be ready to possibly play at the 4 position. They apparently have given him an off season conditioning program and since basketball ended, has been back in the weight room.

I don't know if Coleman will leave after 1 year, but he is still being underrated I think. He is an absolute force on the block with dribbling ability, excellent rebounding and passing. I think he realizes he is a little short to play center and consequently is developing his mid-range game.

We'll see how he adjusts to the speed of the college game but whenever he actually GETS the ball in a position to score in games against higher competition its a done deal. That is very rare.

Would you compare him to Otis Hill?

What if RAK starts at the 5, and DC2 comes off the bench?

If Coleman is really good, I can't see him as a backup. He needs to be out there most of the time in tandem with the center. It's like a two headed monster...

If Coleman is really good, I can't see him as a backup. He needs to be out there most of the time in tandem with the center. It's like a two headed monster...

I'm sure DC2 is good. And physically, he looks like he can hold his own provided his conditioning is good. But RAK is good too. I just throw that scenario out there to think about before people discount RAK.

Do we really want BeeJay Anya? Seems really small and kind of overhyped for a center.

I'm sure DC2 is good. And physically, he looks like he can hold his own provided his conditioning is good. But RAK is good too. I just throw that scenario out there to think about before people discount RAK.

I am sure they would shuttle him in as a center, depending on circumstances, even if he plays the 4 mostly...

Mcw will play 30 mins a game and put up big numbers imo. Is it a stretch to say he could go pro if he bulks up enough?
I don't think it's a stretch at all.. I really believe this kid is going to blow up next year... I keep seeing the SJU game and thinking.. if given enough minutes... we could be watching something really special. He has great vision which allows him to be the point (3.5 Assist/turnover ratio); he has great range and great shooting form; he's 6'5" and will be at the top of the zone. He'll be special.