Is the proverbial shoe about to drop on college basketball royalty? | Page 24 | Syracusefan.com

Is the proverbial shoe about to drop on college basketball royalty?

I'm confused. Nerlens Noel is paid to choose Kentucky, but Kentucky Wildcats is not the entity that paid him? By the way, a lot of us thought this is what happened all along. You can kind of tell a lot if you just watch. You don't have to know, to know.
Noel was a Georgetown lean those last few days and then boom he changes to Kentucky.
Just like everyone thought Duke was getting Kevin Knox and then he chose Kentucky.

Duke and Kentucky have been dishing out max contracts for a while without worrying about the luxury tax.

Do you not see how the system is corrupt and that the athletes are being used as cheap labor to benefit the schools, conferences and the NCAA itself?
You're kind of all over the place. Coaches and schools most definitely are taking advantage of a corrupt system. Revenue college sports are awash in money, winning means more money, and all that money has to go somewhere. Players are being paid by agents and shoe companies to go to specific schools and the coaches directly or indirectly know that it happens and that is part of the reason recruits go to one school or another. Full stop. There is a system of plausible deniability in place that has evolved over decades of this happening so all you'll ever get out of a coach or school public statement is similar to anything a player will ever say in a game interview, just happy be to here, just want to help the team win, can't wait to get out there ...etc. I had no idea, we don't have anything to do with that guy, etc.

Also, there are two very separate things involved here that are constantly being conflated. There is an federal criminal investigation into illegal activities. The FBI is not the NCAA and they have no concern about whether or not Calipari or Izzo played a player who took a loan from an agent. The NCAA, however, does care about that, but they are not involved in the criminal investigation and do not have the same access.

I disagree with Jay Bilas so much on this... Paying college athletes would be terrible. If that were to happen then you could say goodbye to a lot of college teams... Wouldn't be able to compete with Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, and UNC. Recruits just gonna go to who gives most...
As opposed to now?

Think about the manpower and resources the FBI has spent on this in light of the FBI dropping the ball in Florida.
I would love to know what the FBI could have done with Florida. We can't just arrest people because we think there are going to do something crazy. No matter how much proof we have that they are nuts.

I disagree with Jay Bilas so much on this... Paying college athletes would be terrible. If that were to happen then you could say goodbye to a lot of college teams... Wouldn't be able to compete with Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, and UNC. Recruits just gonna go to who gives most... And its not like they don't get anything... They get a free a FREE college education. Kids pay thousands and thousands of dollars for that.
I would do this.
Give the players scholarship checks every year, give the football, basketball, & any other sport which generates a profit an additional 5k stipend, give the Football/Basketball players a portion of the money they used to make from EA Sports for NCAA Football/Basketball games and bring back those games. NCAA Football would sell like hotcakes.
Allow their players to sell their IP rights and autographs for $$$.
Pay kids for their jerseys sales.

Downside is each kid would have to pay taxes on these benefits.

You must be naive. Boeheim and SU would not become co-conspirators with the blue bloods and they would not accept him because of it. Like any criminal gang, you have to commit a crime with them to prove your one of them. The NCAA in this case are the cops on the take who go out and suppress rival gangs allowing your gang dominance. We are talking about billions of dollars here, pollyanna.
Please stop with this nonsense. The NCAA didn't come after us for breaking rules because we wouldn't break rules. Insane.

I would do this.
Give the players scholarship checks every year, give the football, basketball, & any other sport which generates a profit an additional 5k stipend, give the FB/BB a portion of the money they used to make from EA Sports for NCAA FB/BB games.
Allow their players to sell their IP rights and autographs for $$$.
Pay kids for their jerseys sales.

Downside is each kid would have to pay taxes on these benefits.
Not autographs. This wouldn't be go to the mall and sell autographs. It might be for schools like us. For Kentucky, it would be 50k for an autograph and their money people would give it to them.

Please stop with this nonsense. The NCAA didn't come after us for breaking rules because we wouldn't break rules. Insane.
I probably don't view the NCAA in the same light as you.

What the latest report on the college basketball corruption case means for Kentucky

UK Coach John Calipari released the following statement Friday morning: “I have no relationship with Andy Miller or any of his associates. Neither my staff nor I utilized any agent, including Andy Miller or any of his associates, to provide any financial benefits to a current or former Kentucky student-athlete. We will cooperate fully with the appropriate authorities.”.

...because they use boosters and WWW to provide the financial benefits to Kentucky student-athletes. They don't give them the "agent" title on the UK business cards.

Not autographs. This wouldn't be go to the mall and sell autographs. It might be for schools like us. For Kentucky, it would be 50k for an autograph and their money people would give it to them.
I have detailed in the past I would use the schools to sell the autographs. If a player wanted to keep eligibility the autograph stuff would be done in conjunction with the school.

I.e. football spring game where it could be monitored and kids were paid what their markets determined. Off-days during basketball etc. stuff like that.

Kids wouldn't make 50k for this stuff just maybe a couple of thousand dollars at most and basically replace the hundred dollar handshakes that go on.

I would love to know what the FBI could have done with Florida. We can't just arrest people because we think there are going to do something crazy. No matter how much proof we have that they are nuts.
The FBI connection is off-thread - they're going to investigate pay-for-play schemes in amateur athletics whether we or the NCAA likes it or not. But while we're on the subject, a MI 19 year old should never be able to waltz into a gun shop and buy an AR-15. The system in Florida is hopelessly broken because state gun laws (and the NICS) lack mental health protections. That's the source of the problem, not the FBI.

Last edited:
It would be the same thing for anything involving "likeness." The factories would make sure their players would make the most off of jersey sales, autographs, etc. and they would make sure every high school kid knew it.

I have detailed in the past I would use the schools to sell the autographs. If a player wanted to keep eligibility the autograph stuff would be done in conjunction with the school.

I.e. football spring game where it could be monitored and kids were paid what their markets determined. Off-days during basketball etc. stuff like that.

Kids wouldn't make 50k for this stuff just maybe a couple of thousand dollars at most and basically replace the hundred dollar handshakes that go on.

Why, fundamentally, would you want a cap on the amount of money someone can generate from their own likeness? I just don't get this line of thinking. If someone wanted to pay me for an autograph (they wouldn't), well go ahead.

Why, fundamentally, would you want a cap on the amount of money someone can generate from their own likeness? I just don't get this line of thinking. If someone wanted to pay me for an autograph (they wouldn't), well go ahead.
Where did I cap it? I just said I didn't think they would get 50k and most likely a few thousand.

If Carmelo could generate 100k let him but it would be done in a way the school was controlling the situation and he was actually generating the interest to get that 100k and not just let boosters overpay which wouldn't be fair.

I agree that you should be able to sell your autograph, as long as you're not receiving a free college education conditioned on amateur status.

Any booster can decide they'll buy $20,000 worth of autographs, etc.

ADs would also hate it - money would just go straight to the kids.