Is the proverbial shoe about to drop on college basketball royalty? | Page 34 | Syracusefan.com

Is the proverbial shoe about to drop on college basketball royalty?

This is why I think University Presidents and trustees need to step up and end the athletics gold rush, the greed has allowed them to compromise their primary purpose - providing a first rate education.

You have a school provide fraudulent courses and then argue that its ok because they are available to the entire student body. UNC the academic institution should have been EMBARASSED to make this argument.

You have schools cheating, committing criminal acts and fighting with each other over kids that will come play a sport for them and oftentimes not be there long enough to actually complete even a single year of study.

You have Kentucky moving towards a model where their entire roster is filled with kids taking this approach to college athletics.

time for you to get back to reality. end the athletics gold rush? why on earth would they want to do that? who exactly is getting hurt in all this? The poor "clean" schools? Please. If you play, you are paying somehow, somewhere. I don't get all this outrage. Everyone without their head in the sand KNEW this was going on FOREVER.

You don't "vacate to" anybody. You just take the wins away. It's not like michigan are your 2013 champs now. Unless I'm misunderstanding you.
what I mean, is, if everyone is cheating, then its a level playing field. ..no need to vacate. its all good

Thinking about Gillon, maybe he was on hook with Colorado State, and that when he transferred to Syracuse the agent made a note that he was no longer with C State, but now at Syracuse? Timing would match
The statement was dated December 2015. Gillon committeed to Cuse in May 2016. All very confusing.

that won't come out until the end. Guys doing the right thing doesn't generate clicks and website traffic.
People doing what they're supposed to do is not news.
Although it appears to be so rare in major college sports that maybe it is now.

A dollar today is worth more than a dollar tomorrow. They take the money now, get the ban later.

You get the ban later, you also have to give back the money.

what I mean, is, if everyone is cheating, then its a level playing field. ..no need to vacate. its all good

Yeah I get it...except we were not Cheating enough apparently

This stuff is being leaked in cycles by the media.
They want it as close to the NCAA tournament for clicks.
No chance of that "conspiracy theory."
Everyone wants the story: Yahoo, ESPN, SI...non sports media.
Everyone wants to break it.

Arizona unable to retire Jason Terry's jersey
At least for now, Terry's jersey actually isn't able to be retired. According to the Arizona Daily Star, the school decided as much after Terry was found to have accepted money from agents, causing the Wildcats' 1999 NCAA tournament appearance to be vacated.

:confused:
Wait you mean somebody commenting on this is a hypocrite?

The statement was dated December 2015. Gillon committeed to Cuse in May 2016. All very confusing.
Right

But it was hand written in pencil, so maybe he was making notation on that sheet of paper?

time for you to get back to reality. end the athletics gold rush? why on earth would they want to do that? who exactly is getting hurt in all this? The poor "clean" schools? Please. If you play, you are paying somehow, somewhere. I don't get all this outrage. Everyone without their head in the sand KNEW this was going on FOREVER.
Agree 1000%. Like steroids in baseball. presidents, owners, managers, coaches, players, fans, media. We are all complicit and the outrage/disappointment reeks of faux cya.

Right

But it was hand written in pencil, so maybe he was making notation on that sheet of paper?
Anything is possible. Obviously none of us know at this point. I’m concerned too. I will say that I didn’t feel much better with the “family friend” response.

Another thing I don't get, and someone please shed some light on this situation if you have a better grasp of the big picture...what does the FBI care if someone is bribing someone else to go to a certain school to play basketball? From a legal standpoint, I don't see how this is even breaking the law. Paying someone so they do something you want is pretty much the way our entire economy works. We draw lines around things like prostitution, but as far as I know, this stuff I'm hearing about doesn't violate anything...OTHER than the fact I doubt people are paying taxes on this exchanged money.

I respect your opinion, but I disagree. And I think your opinion is borne out of fear of what the new system would become if schools were paying, your fear that smaller schools like SU wouldn’t be able to compete. But no one’s saying that’s the system that would be created. you could allow players to benefit from their likenesses or allow them to sign endorsements with local businesses. You could also easily create a system with rules and a more level playing field for colleges, so certain schools aren’t favored over others. The P5 schools/conferences could agree on a number that they would pay players—or divvy up money by seniority or other factors. The players should have a college athletes union to advocate for them. But you have to pay the players something because of the billions in TV money being made by colleges on the backs of these athletes.
The only solution is for basketball and football to follow the model of baseball, hockey and soccer where there is a minor league system where athletes can go play for pay instead. That would fundamentally change those two sports at the college level. That would be the best system for hoops anyway. I don't think it would work for football though, as the cost of fielding teams would be too great without the revenue.
Allowing individual players to make their own deals with apparel companies and local businesses would only further the balance of power issues.

Another thing I don't get, and someone please shed some light on this situation if you have a better grasp of the big picture...what does the FBI care if someone is bribing someone else to go to a certain school to play basketball? From a legal standpoint, I don't see how this is even breaking the law. Paying someone so they do something you want is pretty much the way our entire economy works. We draw lines around things like prostitution, but as far as I know, this stuff I'm hearing about doesn't violate anything...OTHER than the fact I doubt people are paying taxes on this exchanged money.
They were after the wire fraud and conspiracy and kept pulling threads. But the implications for college basketball are totally ancillary.

Thinking about Gillon, maybe he was on hook with Colorado State, and that when he transferred to Syracuse the agent made a note that he was no longer with C State, but now at Syracuse? Timing would match
Could you read the note? I could not.

The only solution is for basketball and football to follow the model of baseball, hockey and soccer where there is a minor league system where athletes can go play for pay instead. That would fundamentally change those two sports at the college level. That would be the best system for hoops anyway. I don't think it would work for football though, as the cost of fielding teams would be too great without the revenue.
Allowing individual players to make their own deals with apparel companies and local businesses would only further the balance of power issues.
The US is the only country in the world that treats their superstar young athletic talent this way. Each university should be allowed to setup a subsidiary sports academy. Players are employees, get career-related education, and/or a lifetime scholarship.

I think a separate thread should be started for potential solutions.

We went head to head with Louisville for Fab. Knowing how dirty they are that is a little scary
So your saying we played the game to get Fab and some people say maybe Gillon? In this pay to play system, it doesn't cost the program money to get the players, that comes from the shoe companies. All is the program has to do is be a conduit to facilitate the money flowing through. It would be the height of stupidity to get involved to get those players when we had 4 and 5 star guys ready to commit if we just played ball. I don't believe Boeheim is stupid. Imagine how unstoppable his system would be if it was stocked with blue chip all-Americans. He has been making do with players that most big programs never even looked at.

The FBI is involved because it is illegal in this country to set up an unfair business system where some people can do what they and others lose out because they follow the law. This is a multi-billion dollar business.

So your saying we played the game to get Fab and some people say maybe Gillon? In this pay to play system, it doesn't cost the program money to get the players, that comes from the shoe companies. All is the program has to do is be a conduit to facilitate the money flowing through. It would be the height of stupidity to get involved to get those players when we had 4 and 5 star guys ready to commit if we just played ball. I don't believe Boeheim is stupid. Imagine how unstoppable his system would be if it was stocked with blue chip all-Americans. He has been making do with players that most big programs never even looked at.
No, I said it's a bit scary