Is the proverbial shoe about to drop on college basketball royalty? | Page 36 | Syracusefan.com

Is the proverbial shoe about to drop on college basketball royalty?

Well Wendall did break the rules... It's just a matter to which extent. s e xton did the same thing that Carter did, they received a dinner from an agent... And s e xton was suspended 1 game. Carter, Knox and others were not. Carter should atleast be suspended 1 game like s e xton was for the dinner and maybe more depending on of he recieved more than just a dinner.
The notion that the top recruits just had a 100 dollar dinner is silly. Kevin Knox isn’t getting a dinner while Ayton is getting 100k. And Ayton isn’t just getting 100k.

Like Lonzo said last night, they’re all getting paid (except for him of course lol).

Regarding Duke (my opinion only):

No way Coach K involved. No way. Not because he's a saint but because he has too much to lose. His reputation is worth gold. (And because he doesn't have to cheat to get top recruits.)

The university would not clear Wendel Carter to play unless they were fully satisfied that he (family) did not break rules.
The university takes compliance very sincerely. A cynic might say it's because the squeaky clean reputation is valuable when it comes to alumni donations, which dwarfs the money they get from NCAA basketball tournaments. But regardless, the university is serious about compliance.

That being said, I'm a little worried about Bagley sitting out with a knee strain. The moment this story started to break, the University has been all over its coaches and students, demanding "anything we need to know???" Had they learned of rules breaking by an athlete (and I don't know that they have), this is the way they might have handled it.

And I’ve got this land in Florida I’m trying to unload...or do you just buy crap being sold by people in North Carolina?

In the cases of boosters funding athletes, it's entirely possible coaches wouldn't know.

Well the fact that the FBI is targetting these so called "runners" tells me that coaches knew about this and they were trying to cover it up. Kinda like Al Qaeda courier system they had. Using somebody who wouldn't be suspected by intel to deliver services. And the fact that Sean Miller told the runner that he should talk to him directly about the money shows it's obvious that coaches knew about this.

The notion that the top recruits just had a 100 dollar dinner is silly. Kevin Knox isn’t getting a dinner while Ayton is getting 100k. And Ayton isn’t just getting 100k.

Like Lonzo said last night, they’re all getting paid (except for him of course lol).
Right. It was LaVar that got paid.

That’s cute.

So your saying all these 5 star recruits go there and turn down the money that everybody else is throwing around freely. Yeah OK. Your hero coach K is up to his neck in this.

Yeah, they just happen to get the best recruits every year going up against other schools that are paying big bucks. Come on.

Please duke is in the cesspool with the rest of us. Employing Duhons mom, new SUV at Brands house the day after he signs. K is just smart enough to be able to deny. Millers idiocy is the most shocking thing. K is too smart for that.

Thanks Mr. Vitale

And I’ve got this land in Florida I’m trying to unload...or do you just buy crap being sold by people in North Carolina?

Homer killing the krustyburglar.gif

No way. These coaches know everything that goes on. They may tend to achieve plausible deniability but these guys are control freaks. There’s zero chance JB didn’t know DC was driving a car he couldn’t afford.
At that time , that was fully the accepted rule in college sports. College stars would get some perks and that's the way it had always been. It was orders of magnitude more at big state schools. The only things that were really consider bad was paying players to come and play or allowing players a free pass academically. Neither of which was Syracuse found to have done in the first NCAA investigation.

Oh I definitely agree. I was just saying that they definitely broke the rules... They all deserved to be suspended at least 1 game like Sexton was at the very least based on knowledge of what the public has so far. But depending on the evidence the FBI is holding the punishments and amount of money received is most likely much worse than just a dinner

Well the fact that the FBI is targetting these so called "runners" tells me that coaches knew about this and they were trying to cover it up. Kinda like Al Qaeda courier system they had. Using somebody who wouldn't be suspected by intel to deliver services. And the fact that Sean Miller told the runner that he should talk to him directly about the money shows it's obvious that coaches knew about this.

I'm saying that a college alumni might like to see a certain high school player go to his alma mater and independently pay him off to go there.

At that time , that was fully the accepted rule in college sports. College stars would get some perks and that's the way it had always been. It was orders of magnitude more at big state schools. The only things that were really consider bad was paying players to come and play or allowing players a free pass academically. Neither of which was Syracuse found to have done in the first NCAA investigation.
If you think we are he exception here I have a bridge to sell you.

We have no clue if we are clear yet.
Just stop tying everything to Jim Boeheim.
Duke has gone crazy in recruiting since Jeff Capel returned.

If your going to proclaim JB innocent wait until K is found guilty.
More on Jeff Capel. He is doing the same things for Duke that he did at Oklahoma. 70 year old coaches don’t suddenly learn how to consistently land #1 classes.

Timeline of former Oklahoma basketball coach Jeff Capel

All outlets are saying that it is just the tip of the iceberg. This is one agent and his crony. This must be many, many agents and their army of cronies. Even if Cuse is involved in this( and Im betting on some level they are) Just being able to see, in my lifetime, the scandal that I always knew was going on, be exposed is cathartic as hell.

I want all of these teams exposed, tarred and feathered in the public eye. The CBB product right now is hot garbage to watch and be involved in. Maybe we can get back to fundamentals and heart.

I, for one, am looking forward to it.

I get what you're saying, but their is evidence and stories of players on the take since since forever, even when players had fundamentals and heart...which, quite honestly, has not much to do with taking money.

Thamel and Forde have more already ready to be read.

They released a story they had in the pipes 30 minutes after ESPN nailed Miller.
They likely got part 2 out when they did because ESPN burned them by getting it first.
They likely had their piece in editing and their editors determine when in the daily news cycle it will get posted.
Stories come out in parts because they develop as you go...especially a story like this with so many tentacles.

Contrary to widespread opinion, news people generally aren't out there scheming.
Yes, you want to run a story when it will have the most eyeballs and the most impact.
In television that may mean holding it for a ratings period (although that is withering away).
On the web it's particular times of day.

But you can't afford that luxury if you know other people re working the same story...as is the case here.
You've got to get it out as soon as you can or someone is going to be asking why you were beaten.

If you think we are he exception here I have a bridge to sell you.
I've yet to see it in 2 NCAA investigations which covered over 20 years. When the first investigation happened, I waited for the big bombs to drop. Nothing, nada a big nothing burger. One player got an F changed to a C by retaking the course with a tutor. That was before Syracuse allowed + and - grades, so he could have been close to a D anyways. But no systematic academic fraud. And no big cash payments to get players.

Last edited:
What made Calipari was the NBA-NBAPA CBA making the 1 and dome rule and kids had to be 19.

That allowed Cal to use WWW and his connections to get the top players for 1 year and then go to the NBA.
Derrick Rose made Cal into this beast.

Then Capel got fired in Oklahoma and went back to Duke. Duke’s recruiting went from elite to nuclear elite.

The one and done rule hurts college basketball. The kids should be able to go pro out of HS.

I was listening to coach K the other day talk about "one-and-done's" at Duke and if his scouting philosophy has changed. He stated it has never changed, just the landscape of what young players want to do has changed. He isn't actively seeking one-and-done's, just the players that fit his profile, the same profile he's had for decades, happen to be now be one-and-done's. Sounds plausible to me.

I was listening to coach K the other day talk about "one-and-done's" at Duke and if his scouting philosophy has changed. He stated it has never changed, just the landscape of what young players want to do has changed. He isn't actively seeking one-and-done's, just the players that fit his profile, the same profile he's had for decades, happen to be now be one-and-done's. Sounds plausible to me.
And what the players want to do is get paid before they get to the league. So, he has adapted. Of course there is a degree of separation so that he can maintain plausible deniability, but he knows what's going on. They have the three best players in the country coming in next year, two of them at the same positions. They have had the top player go there something like 5 out of the last 6 years. When in the history of the sport has this happened? Are you thinking UCLA? We all know what was going on there.

I've yet to see it in 2 NCAA investigations which covered over 20 years. When the first investigation happen, I waited for the big bombs to drop. Nothing, nada abig nothing burger. One player got an changed to a C by retaking the course with a tutor. That was before Syracuse allowed + and - grades, so he could have been close to a D anyways. But no systematic academic fraud. And no big cash payments to get players.
Lol the NCAA couldn’t find their own nose. We know that. We know coaches and schools have been paying players big bucks and until the FBI got involved...nothing

It’s not the same profile. He never got just top 10 kids. That team in 2010 he won with was all four year players.

$100k is cheap. Rumor was that Walter Berry got $100k back in the 80s.

Lol the NCAA couldn’t find their own nose. We know that. We know coaches and schools have been paying players big bucks and until the FBI got involved...nothing
Then why didn't we get the big time talent? It wouldn't of costed money, that was being supplied by the shoe guys.

Then why didn't we get the big time talent? It wouldn't of costed money, that was being supplied by the shoe guys.
DC wasn’t big time? Pearl? Melo? Cmac? We’ve had them over the years. It’s not just top 10 guys getting paid. We were all over Anthony Davis...you think there wasn’t a bidding war?

Yeah, they just happen to get the best recruits every year going up against other schools that are paying big bucks. Come on.
Jobs for Moms

In the cases of boosters funding athletes, it's entirely possible coaches wouldn't know.

So coaches have no idea why they land recruits? Wouldn't that make recruiting fairly difficult? Doesn't someone at least have to establish a pecking order so money isn't thrown at the wrong guys? Can't have the boosters paying the top 5 centers in the same class, there has to be some coordination from the staff.

Last edited:
DC wasn’t big time? Pearl? Melo? Cmac? We’ve had them over the years. It’s not just top 10 guys getting paid. We were all over Anthony Davis...you think there wasn’t a bidding war?

Reminds me of this thread shortly after Mali committed.

Selector School Status

The narrative seems to osciallate between “selector school” and “JB just recruits scrappers” depending on what’s being discussed.