Is the SU WBB coach | Syracusefan.com

Is the SU WBB coach

Capt. Tuttle

Living Legend
earning the job? Do we think he can recruit. Would he stay if we brought in FLJ or another coach?

My perfect world has him staying with FLJ as the associate head coach. He is a very good analyzer of the game and has a lot of experience. But I still think we need to make this change at the top for a variety of reasons that are probably obvious. I know many feel this way. Most of the top women's programs have a very strong #2. We may need to up his pay in this position.

The women seem to play hard, and appear to have some joy. TBD I guess

Read is the analytics guy and has a valid game plan. Is he a recruiter though? Is he the guy to lead the team long term? Too soon to make that call I think.
To be honest the head coach is usually the closer but it’s the assistants who do the bulk of the evaluations and actual active recruiting. If Coach Q recruited these young women ( I don’t know if he did) Coach Read certainly did an excellent job re-recruiting them to stick with SU. It’s more a question of who he chooses as assistants. They currently seem to be doing a very good job developing, teaching and motivating these young women. Maybe he would keep these same assistants and add another one since they only list 2 assistants??

To be honest the head coach is usually the closer but it’s the assistants who do the bulk of the evaluations and actual active recruiting. If Coach Q recruited these young women ( I don’t know if he did) Coach Read certainly did an excellent job re-recruiting them to stick with SU. It’s more a question of who he chooses as assistants. They currently seem to be doing a very good job developing, teaching and motivating these young women. Maybe he would keep these same assistants and add another one since they only list 2 assistants??
Good point, I was thinking Q was the flashy recruiter that women wanted to play for but I don't have any idea of the inner workings of how it all happens.

Good point, I was thinking Q was the flashy recruiter that women wanted to play for but I don't have any idea of the inner workings of how it all happens.
He may have been. He was obviously a very good closer. Someone on the staff evaluated who to target (usually an assistant) and kept great contacts within the women’s top AAU and high school teams. SU also had someone knowledgeable about international recruits too.

We will be losing 3 excellent graduate transfers after this season that we need to replace - Styles, Murray, Thornton. We will need to re-recruit both Carrs who are seniors to stay too. Hopefully Hyman is happy here and with her important role at SU. Hoping Priscilla Williams recovers enough to play again and contribute next year. Lots of recruiting holes to fill next year. Recruiting is usually at least a 2 year job to identify, evaluate, establish a relationship with future targets before they commit - hopefully we have kept up those relationships that were already started. It’s one advantage for keeping some continuity. The uncertainty of who will be here next year usually hurts recruiting for longer than the current year.

He may have been. He was obviously a very good closer. Someone on the staff evaluated who to target (usually an assistant) and kept great contacts within the women’s top AAU and high school teams. SU also had someone knowledgeable about international recruits too.

We will be losing 3 excellent graduate transfers after this season that we need to replace - Styles, Murray, Thornton. We will need to re-recruit both Carrs who are seniors to stay too. Hopefully Hyman is happy here and with her important role at SU. Hoping Priscilla Williams recovers enough to play again and contribute next year. Lots of recruiting holes to fill next year. Recruiting is usually at least a 2 year job to identify, evaluate, establish a relationship with future targets before they commit - hopefully we have kept up those relationships that were already started. It’s one advantage for keeping some continuity. The uncertainty of who will be here next year usually hurts recruiting for longer than the current year.
I hope both Carrs, Hyman and Williams choose to stay. That would be the beginning of a good core of players for future recruits. Hyman is a such a good player, a real leader of this team.

I hope both Carrs, Hyman and Williams choose to stay. That would be the beginning of a good core of players for future recruits. Hyman is a such a good player, a real leader of this team.
Thinking about it more - Coach Q must have some good contacts overseas to have gotten that job offer abroad so quickly after he was let go.

With the transfer portal being in play; it’s now feasible to build a very solid team from transfers alone. This means that he could bring in more size and the quicks that would fit within the type he currently has. His players were much quicker than the Ohio State players. If he is made the HC the additional assistant should be a woman.
Or a female HC be appointed and Coach Read be her top assistant with a significant pay increase! This provides the program with numerous options!

Thinking about it more - Coach Q must have some good contacts overseas to have gotten that job offer abroad so quickly after he was let go.
He was one of the first coaches to hit the overseas market for lots of recruits. I remember an article in the Syracuse paper about the time he spent overseas a few summers ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom