Is this a ten year old Devo wannabe? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Is this a ten year old Devo wannabe?

Rob Lowe has a quote that I think is applicable to a lot of elite youth athletes:

"Here's my theory: If a person gets worldwide fame at a young age, they're emotionally frozen at that moment. For me, that's 15 to 18, so you find yourself in your mid-20s being a glorified 15-year-old. What could possibly go wrong?"

He was talking more about actors and how so many that become famous when they're young self destruct, but I think we see it with more athletes now than we did a couple generations ago too. And with so many of these kids getting famous even younger than what he was when he got famous, it may be even worse. Sure, if kids have good support systems around them it doesn't have to be that way, but so many have selfish adults surrounding them that just want to use them or are afraid to treat them like the kids they are.
They same money and fame don’t change you .. they just amplify what you already are. I can buy this to be generally true with adults. With kids however , I think they can create who you end up being rather then just amplifying your innate traits

They same money and fame don’t change you .. they just amplify what you already are. I can buy this to be generally true with adults. With kids however , I think they can create who you end up being rather then just amplifying your innate traits
Sure. I think money and fame can make people too immature to deal with them think they're something they're not unless they have strong mature support around them to keep then grounded. You only need to look at the littany of child music stars and actors that have crashed and burned to see it. Fortunately, some like Drew Barrymore find their way out of it. Unfortunately, others like River Phoenix don't. And many of the ones that find their way out are left scarred.

For any Mr Show fans (Bob Odenkirk and David Cross 90s sketch comedy show on HBO)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom