Is this close to the O we ran | Syracusefan.com

Is this close to the O we ran

jgeorge322

Living Legend
marrones last year? Have no idea but for those in the know, id like to hear some similarities and differences.

Ummm...no similarities and major differences.

Ummm... Are you too pretentious to explain the exact differences or just a d bag... Ill give you some similarities - no huddle, hurry up, pass heavy. Now your turn

Count me as a dbag. Major night and day differences between Marrone and Babers. Not my fault you don't see it.

Dbag it is. Add poor reading comprehension too. I clearly was asking a question and trying to generate a discussion. Thanks for your input Vince Lombardi. Ill try to keep my inquiries to a minimum as to not insult your great football mind.

Didnt marrone say we only ran 4 or so plays in 2013? I thought dino runs fewer sets too. (I believe no playbook at all.)

the quitter, wrote a letter.

not an email.

not a text.

a letter.

and mailed it.

he mailed it to wildhack, calling for Babers ouster.

he felt that going Babers for it on your on 30, on 4th...clearly was exhibiting insanity and lack of respect for the Syracuse Football Tradition.

Don't even.

There are many similarities and also significant differences. The 2012 offense and this one share many core concepts.

No huddle fast tempo, 3 wide, 1 Tight, 1 back out of the shotgun as the base formation. Packaged plays, run pass option based on what the QB sees. Heavy inside zone emphasis in the run game. Not so meaningful, both used LB's in their short yardage formation. Both tried to stay balanced run/pass, individual games might favor one over the other.

Differences WR splits, Marrone played guys in tighter to the formation. More NFL concepts, less bubbleliciousness in the pass game.

In 2012 they started the year running 95 plays, ended it running 90. Varied in between but six out 13 games they ran 80 or more plays. Last year Babers, 7 out of 13 games he coached went 80 or more. Babers 2015, 81 plays per game, Marrone 2012, 79.

There are many similarities and also significant differences. The 2012 offense and this one share many core concepts.

No huddle fast tempo, 3 wide, 1 Tight, 1 back out of the shotgun as the base formation. Packaged plays, run pass option based on what the QB sees. Heavy inside zone emphasis in the run game. Not so meaningful, both used LB's in their short yardage formation. Both tried to stay balanced run/pass, individual games might favor one over the other.

Differences WR splits, Marrone played guys in tighter to the formation. More NFL concepts, less bubbleliciousness in the pass game.

In 2012 they started the year running 95 plays, ended it running 90. Varied in between but six out 13 games they ran 80 or more plays. Last year Babers, 7 out of 13 games he coached went 80 or more. Babers 2015, 81 plays per game, Marrone 2012, 79.
None of this matters when you consider that Babers builds his program with a very specific S&C regiment right from the start.

And Marrone's best offense happened because two weeks before the season they said what the Hell.

So, no. No.

None of this matters when you consider that Babers builds his program with a very specific S&C regiment right from the start.

And Marrone's best offense happened because two weeks before the season they said what the Hell.

So, no. No.

None of that matters because of strength and conditioning? That's ridiculous. I was responding to the categorical "no similarities" assertion, which just isn't true.

As for 2012, they didn't just make it up out of nothing, they were working towards it from the end of the prior season.

Just because you find it offensive to your sensibilities doesn't mean there aren't common concepts in both.

The extreme rationalization is unintentionally hilarious.

Yes, literally everyone except you is sure.

Extreme rationalization of what?

Why don't you stick to something you know about, which isn't this.

Aren't you the guy that said the offense would be fine last year.

None of that matters because of strength and conditioning? That's ridiculous. I was responding to the categorical "no similarities" assertion, which just isn't true.

As for 2012, they didn't just make it up out of nothing, they were working towards it from the end of the prior season.

Just because you find it offensive to your sensibilities doesn't mean there aren't common concepts in both.
Look, Marrone being your hero does not make his offense in 2012 resemble in any way what Babers has been preparing the team for this year.

Extreme rationalization of what?

Why don't you stick to something you know about, which isn't this.

Extreme rationalization that your groupie crush ran an offense that was anything more than superfically and accidentally similar to the one run by the qualified head coach who now runs the program.

I pegged you as somewhat of a dullard masquerading as a knowledgeable football insider quite some time ago. This delusional flight of fancy actually catches even me off guard--I'm actually kind of embarrassed for you right now.

You really, actually believe that the offense Marrone ran was similar to what Babers wants to run, don't you? And you don't understand the differences, do you?

Last edited:
guys i think you're being way too sensitive here. it's ok to see similarities.

iirc, run pass options were part of 2012 - those tended to be quick hitters in the middle of the field where bubble screens are obviously to the outside.

playing fast, RPO, shotgun - that is going to get you most of the way there on offense.

It was just a question. I dont know whats wrong w some of you people.

The response about s&c and two weeks before the season is kind of funny. Like that speaks to the substantive product on the field.

Don't be so sensitive yet I'll give it a shot. It's more of a mentality towards the game. In terms of the number of plays versus the 2012 FHCDM team may seem to be the same in number but that is where the similarities end. Because FHCDM had such an experienced team back then, it worked.

S&C is very different, even the players have said so. I watched a lot of players on the sidelines Friday - not much fat on those bodies this year. I recall our players in previous years being gassed, no one looked gassed on last Friday's very hot & humid night (funny I was from cheering). Nutrition has changed, no soda more water. More importantly, the players at camp said that they ran 4 to 5 times the number of reps every practice than FHCSS did. No playbook, just learning by reps designed to do less thinking, fewer number of plays cause less confusion yet adaptability to counter what the defense gives is probably the biggest difference. For a first game with a new system on both sides of the ball I was impressed with so few penalties.

While it's still very early, it's the "system" and "attitude" that's way better than FHCDM as he had a pro mentality. He used to say we are going to run our system and teams will have to try and stop us. HCDB system is designed to adjust to what the defense gives you and to simply outrun the defense and if he needs to go for it on 4th down to win the game, he's playing to win not like former coaches who played it safe and close and hoped to win. I would say there are big differences and everyone knows I was a huge supporter of FHCDM.

FHCDM did what he said he was going to do, bring back respectability to the program and mission accomplished. HCDB's system can take us to the next level - a very good and proven college system - did you watch the Texas - ND game last night? ND had the better athletes, Texas outplayed them with a better system with less talent. Too bad we don't have a 250 lb running back...

I imagine most every offense has some things in common with others. I also suspect that the 2012 offense was very much a moment in time, enabled by unique circumstances. We'll never know but I'm doubtful that was a "system", and had Marrone returned in 2013 we wouldn't have seen a similar approach without Nassib, Sales, Lemon and Pugh.

So if the argument is that we would have had a rip roaring O post-2012 had Marrone stayed I find that highly unlikely. What we're seeing implemented today is a known quantity that, hopefully, will be intact and functioning well years from now.

GoSU96 said:

Riding that train till it breaks down...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom