Is this rivalry going to survive? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Is this rivalry going to survive?

abners just off the upenn campus has the best cheese steaks in phila. pats is a "tourist" place. went to abners for years while my daughter was at upenn.

Oh, I don't know how many tourists are walking around Passyunk Ave near South Broad, but I get the idea. The afternoon I was there there were a lot of local high school kids getting their afternoon food fix.

Of course any place near UPenn might be catering to the Penn crowd which consists of a minority of real Philadelphians and might have different tastes that they catered to.

But my point in this has been that things in memory are better than they actually were.

Dalessandros in Roxborough was my go-to for cheesesteaks for years. Pat's is a joke.

I think the Duke/SU matchup will be a huge draw for many years. May not classify as true rivals, but huge games nonetheless.

The Gtown and UConn nostalogia will wind down. It seems to be hurting SU a little to be taking the psyched up games from the former schools that are now in sinking conferences. Our winning percentage isn't what it should be. At least St Johns offers the MSG locale. Normally SU will be a much bigger game for Gtown than Gtown is for SU.

Given time, SU will develop new rivalries and have huge games. I can see UVA as one on the cusp. They had been dominating until the biggest game of the matchup. That has to sting.

Please forgive us; Eagle got out of his restraints. He's kind of our dumb second-cousin. We'll try to keep him quiet. Thanks. - HoyaSaxa

To be honest I don't mind a little trash talk and each side projecting a bad scenario on the othe based on twisting certain assumptions (and he probably believes it as well). To be honest many of us here probably do it with UConn even if we believe what we are saying.

Just don't call it an impartial opinion.

I think the Duke/SU matchup will be a huge draw for many years. May not classify as true rivals, but huge games nonetheless.

The Gtown and UConn nostalogia will wind down. It seems to be hurting SU a little to be taking the psyched up games from the former schools that are now in sinking conferences. Our winning percentage isn't what it should be. At least St Johns offers the MSG locale. Normally SU will be a much bigger game for Gtown than Gtown is for SU.

Given time, SU will develop new rivalries and have huge games. I can see UVA as one on the cusp. They had been dominating until the biggest game of the matchup. That has to sting.
It will be interesting to see the interest in Duke this year at the Dome on a cold Wednesday night in February if we are scuffling along in the mid to low tier of the ACC standings.

Syracuse vs. Georgetown was the Yankees vs. the Red Sox, the Dodgers vs. the Giants, the Celtics vs. the 76ers, the Buckeyes vs. that team from up north.
I'll always hate the Hoyas more than any team in any sport. yes, more than even the Russians!

Please forgive us; Eagle got out of his restraints. He's kind of our dumb second-cousin. We'll try to keep him quiet. Thanks. - HoyaSaxa

No worries...sometimes you need some cheap entertainment to keep the atmosphere light...thank you for your concerns though.

3 pages of posts. i admit i didn't read them all. my gut says the rivalry dies. sucked down in the vortex of what once was the great BIG EAST !

Oh, I don't know how many tourists are walking around Passyunk Ave near South Broad, but I get the idea. The afternoon I was there there were a lot of local high school kids getting their afternoon food fix.

Of course any place near UPenn might be catering to the Penn crowd which consists of a minority of real Philadelphians and might have different tastes that they catered to.

But my point in this has been that things in memory are better than they actually were.
me too

I see you have familiar posters that I know from another place who can't make a point on their own so they try to suck up for likes over here.

He's now a loser on all boards.

Last edited:
I see you have familiar posters that I know from another place who can't make a point on their own so they'll trying to suck up for likes over here.

Can you two take your little Hoya slap fight to your straight out of 1997 forum? We don't care. Georgetown sucks.

Can you two take your little Hoya slap fight to your straight out of 1997 forum? We don't care. Georgetown sucks.
We'll see Saturday. Most of what I've seen SU sucks more. Remember we beat Elon and LaSalle in back to backs.

We'll see Saturday. Most of what I've seen SU sucks more. Remember we beat Elon and LaSalle in back to backs.

Noted. Don't care. Goodnight.

Apathy is the first sign of a program on the decline.

Goodnight.

Please don't confuse my apathy towards your whiny, boring, sad sack posts, and your favorite used to be great in the 1980s program for being anything else than what I just said it is. Thanks.

Please don't confuse my apathy towards your whiny, boring, sad sack posts, and your favorite used to be great in the 1980s program for being anything else than what I just said it is. Thanks.
Making a lot of sense now, I see. Your apathy and attitude are exactly my point about where this program is heading you just can't see it.

You walk in the new conference with all that confidence and you'll soon find they don't care nor does the national media and you are just another program that doesn't matter except you matter less because your football program carries zero weight. Soon you'll be BC except people still somehow care about their FB program. So you'll be less. Remember this day as I know you'll tell me I'm off base but think about it if you are capable.

You are now the Rutgers of the ACC. Except I think they could beat you in football. Remember they have a tough B10 schedule.

For those saying any rivalry with Duke and UNC is unnatural. There was a time that the Maryland, Duke game became very interesting to a lot of fans, even if UNC is their ultimate rivalry. Most rivalries start with the same base ingredients, dirty cheap plays, animosity between fans, and a touch of shade from both coaches making comments about the other team...It can happen in any league if given enough time and bad blood.

Making a lot of sense now, I see. Your apathy and attitude are exactly my point about where this program is heading you just can't see it.

You walk in the new conference with all that confidence and you'll soon find they don't care nor does the national media and you are just another program that doesn't matter except you matter less because your football program carries zero weight. Soon you'll be BC except people still somehow care about their FB program. So you'll be less. Remember this day as I know you'll tell me I'm off base but think about it if you are capable.

You are now the Rutgers of the ACC. Except I think they could beat you in football. Remember they have a tough B10 schedule.

You are a moron. The exact fan that shows up at Verizon Center every other year to see us.

Syracuse-Duke has gotten better ratings than Duke-UNC, so take that for what it's worth.

I see you have familiar posters that I know from another place who can't make a point on their own so they try to suck up for likes over here.

We can't control who posts here or don't want to. Your presence here is proof of that.

You came here pretending to ask questions. But what you were actually doing was trying to get reinforcement for your own opinion that SU had made a mistake joining the ACC and that all our athletic programs would suffer for it.

Not that you give a crap about SU, its athletic programs or its fans.

You are still smarting from the dissolution of the Big East and SU's role in that and the negative impact this could have on Georgetown. And you wanted at least one SU fan to voice that opinion so that you could go back to the Hoya Board and trumpet that news.

Of course, that didn't work out for you. While there is some nostalgia for the hey day of the Big East on here, there are no posters who don't realize that SU is better off in the ACC than it would have been in the AAC or with some sports in the Big East.

Of course, by inventing forecasts of what might happen in the future (e.g, Northeastern basketball players won't want to come to SU because we play in a Southern conference.) you can attempt bolster your Doomsday predictions. But nobody here is going to buy into that argument.

If our whole athletic program were a one-trick pony (like GU and Men's basketball), we might have survived in the new Big East Eastern and Midwestern Catholic Conference). But the ACC gives us an opportunity to play and win in a wide range of sports including football. It gives us quality name-brand opponents and a national stage on which to play.

The Big East may flourish, it may survive or it may easily slip into being a Mid Major Conference. I like SU's chances of remaining relevant more than I like Georgetowns.

Soon GU is going to be St. Bonaventure or Saint Louis University.

Didn't read past the first line. Don't care about your thoughts. Get a hobby.

Not going to read the whole thread but the games no longer have any real meaning beyond a single win/loss in a season of 30+ games. Which means the rivalry cannot survive. It will be just another game.

Not going to read the whole thread but the games no longer have any real meaning beyond a single win/loss in a season of 30+ games. Which means the rivalry cannot survive. It will be just another game.
Have you watched Louisville/Kentucky? That doesn't mean anything for conference standings either. I get the difference, but G-town game can still be special.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sdot

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom