Is this what's wrong with the NBA | Syracusefan.com

Is this what's wrong with the NBA

Orangemen

All Conference
From Seth Davis' column. He talked to 6 scouts, gm's, and execs to get their opinions on different players.

Here is the take on Tony Wroten:

"That shot is scary. I mean, he just does not make shots, and he's really turnover prone. Some of his turnovers are because he has a flair for the dramatic. But he measured 6-5 with length."

So, let's get this straight.

He can't shoot.

He's turns the ball over a lot.

But- he is 6-5...

Relax, besides having length, I'm sure he also has plenty of upside and a good motor ;)

Good one! I don't watch the NBA very much. It often appears as fixed as pro wrestling.

You can't teach measurables; it's easier to find someone who can shoot than it is to find a 6'5 PG with the ability who has crazy length.

FWIW I like Tony Wroten, and his upside :), but if I was scouting him I would probably talk about the negatives first - I think as you move down the draft you see more of that because you find more and more players with gaping holes in their game.

the bottom line is that there are probably a million guys that are 6'-nothing that can play better than wroten. but there are only a handful that are legit 6-5 with his game. i watched him a couple times this year and he stinks, but the upside is obvious. there are so few roster spots in the nba that the 6-0's have to be truly special, like tim hardaway special to get a spot in the league, where as a gm you would always take a chance on the bigger kid. the last mini guard i can think of is jameer nelson who is a truly unique talent.

They're showing the combine on ESPNU and he think he just missed like 20 straight 3 pointers...I didn't even know that was possible with nobody guarding you.

I still like the kid, I'd pick him late 1st round.

Then, that's the same thing that's "wrong" with college basketball. Do you remember how highly-regarded/recruited he was out of high school? He's probably a better player now than then. So...

Go back and look at the pre-draft wrap on Russell Westbrook for laughs. There was no shortage of schnooks in online forums discussing him as a 'reach' or as 'overvalued.'

It's not science, and players aren't finished their development just because they're done with college.

Also I realized if you read the original post and take out "6'5", the same could be said about Rondo...(or at least when he first game into the league)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom