Is Trevor Cooney the new Tony Bland? | Syracusefan.com

Is Trevor Cooney the new Tony Bland?

OrangeFoo

All American
If memory serves right Bland was a hotshot 2g from the west coast who showed signs his first year. He was expected to make a huge jump as a starter in year 2 but then (you might have heard this snout a current player) forgot how to shoot. Amidst much controversy on the syracusefan.com board, whatever reincarnation it was at the time, Bland retained his starting spot over theorerically superior talent. The big difference is that JB started doing the JB shuffle with Bland's PT. Bland ended up transferring home to San Diego St where he played major minutes on a team that made it to #1 in the country if I remember right.

Can the Deleware Bluehens start plotting a final four run next year? Will Cooney be a victim of the JB shuffle? I think not... Allen Griffin, Shump, nor Meshaun is on that bench and Bland was a much better all around player than Mr. Cooney. He miraculously learned to shoot again back home in Cali.

If memory serves right Bland was a hotshot 2g from the west coast who showed signs his first year. He was expected to make a huge jump as a starter in year 2 but then (you might have heard this snout a current player) forgot how to shoot. Amidst much controversy on the syracusefan.com board, whatever reincarnation it was at the time, Bland retained his starting spot over theorerically superior talent. The big difference is that JB started doing the JB shuffle with Bland's PT. Bland ended up transferring home to San Diego St where he played major minutes on a team that made it to #1 in the country if I remember right.

Can the Deleware Bluehens start plotting a final four run next year? Will Cooney be a victim of the JB shuffle? I think not... Allen Griffin, Shump, nor Meshaun is on that bench and Bland was a much better all around player than Mr. Cooney. He miraculously learned to shoot again back home in Cali.

what in the hell are you talking about?

Bland ended up transferring home to San Diego St where he played major minutes on a team that made it to #1 in the country if I remember right.

I checked collegebasketballreference.com, and San Diego St. was never ranked in the Top 25 during the 00-01 or 01-02 seasons when Bland was there.

200_s.gif

This post may win the Internet for the night...the JB shuffle...God I was crying with that one.

bland/sekunda. just hard to imagine a player transferring out with so little talent here.

There are some similarities between them, but that's it. Both played the SG position, both were about the same size and had similar shooting numbers from 3PT. Each had a 30 + pt college game, which is quite rare. Bland left because he was not getting enough minutes, hardly the problem with Cooney. Bland was tops in minutes played at SDSU, which I hope made him happy. SDSU got to the 2nd round of the NIT Bland's senior year, but I do not believe they were ever nationally ranked while he was there.

Last edited:

For the record, memory has not been served right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom