Isaiah Johnson has been medically disqualified after suffering multiple concussions | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Isaiah Johnson has been medically disqualified after suffering multiple concussions

Hate to see the happen but happy for Zeke that he will be able to finish out his academic career and have a solid foundation for the future. Best wishes Mr. Johnson.

Hate to see the happen but happy for Zeke that he will be able to finish out his academic career and have a solid foundation for the future. Best wishes Mr. Johnson.

Zeke showed too much promise as a freshman. It made no since that he under performed as a soph. Now it does make sense. I never thought Zeke was the same after the FSU game his freshman year. The concussions played a big part of his lack of productivity. Just my opinion. Hope he gets his great degree and live a productive life as ex orange player and graduate.

Last edited:
Something is wrong here...too many concussions a lot of concussing going on... Definetely need to reteach tackling techniques and keep from leading with your head. Looking at disqualifications for concussions SU is at the top of the list the past 5 years. What gives? Noses may be hard but that brain matter keeps sloshing around too much. Good luck ...go finish your degree and thank God it was caught. A whole life ahead of you.

Something is wrong here...too many concussions a lot of concussing going on... Definetely need to reteach tackling techniques and keep from leading with your head. Looking at disqualifications for concussions SU is at the top of the list the past 5 years. What gives? Noses may be hard but that brain matter keeps sloshing around too much. Good luck ...go finish your degree and thank God it was caught. A whole life ahead of you.
I have yet to come across a coach who preaches proper tackling techniques more often or adamantly than Scott Shafer. This issue is one of his top priorities, as it has been since before he was a HC.

He will teach it at multiple clinics and camps this offseason as well as on a daily basis at his practices.

It was a leading motivator for them to buy the helmet webbing for practices.

A lot of these concussions are pure chance. Some have been more fortunate than others. Firmly believe this is not a teaching or coaching issue.

Let's admit that our first reaction was anger and frustration that a struggling program has lost a promising player and that a defense that has already lost too many players has now lost another one.

Then let's all be glad they caught this early, (not very long ago, he'd still be trying to play), and hopefully Isaiah's brain won't be in a beaker in a lab someday. Instead he'll be using it to have a successful life.

Let's admit that our first reaction was anger and frustration that a struggling program has lost a promising player and that a defense that has already lost too many players has now lost another one.

Then let's all be glad they caught this early, (not very long ago, he'd still be trying to play), and hopefully Isaiah's brain won't be in a beaker in a lab someday. Instead he'll be using it to have a successful life.

Agreed. It seems Cuse has been very proactive in this regard, for both the protection of the student as well as the university. I can't imagine similar injuries aren't happening in every school, but most probably aren't as concerned. SU should be commended for it. In fact, in Lax they didn't even admit a kid who had a history of concussions a few years back. That is something we haven't quite talked about. I wonder how they determine this, especially for kids coming from schools who have very little protocol.

Do you have a source to back up your claim that were top 5.

I think we're just more protective about it meaning I bet we DQ kids other schools wouldn't.

At the coaches clinic this year, he had over 100 coaches there. First thing we all did was go into the team room and listened to Shafer breakdown every aspect of tackling for 30 minutes. He did this before anything else. He wants to make sure hs coaches are teaching their players the proper form of tackling to prevent injuries like this.

At the coaches clinic this year, he had over 100 coaches there. First thing we all did was go into the team room and listened to Shafer breakdown every aspect of tackling for 30 minutes. He did this before anything else. He wants to make sure hs coaches are teaching their players the proper form of tackling to prevent injuries like this.

That's awesome to hear. I'm in a wheelchair, not due to a football injury, but I just cringe at some of what I see in college and even the NFL as far as guys putting their head and neck at risk. Not that I'm complaining about my situation. I have a fantastic life but I'd like people to avoid it if they can.

He could have helped the hoops team with Coleman injured. Not tall enough but who wants to face a DL under the rim? The same guy who took down QBs for fun.

On the serious side, glad he has removed himself from danger, found something to fill the void, has a good and positive attitude and stuck with school. Something tells me this kid is a winner in life. Also glad Syracuse didn't give him the boot because he could not play any longer.

This is really great to hear that Isaiah is doing well. For some reason, I thought he left school not long after he was medically disqualified but glad to hear he stayed with it.

I didn't know they ranked club teams.
Definately. Club sports at certain schools would compete favorably with many d3 programs. The players and the coaches take it very seriously usually culminating with a national tourney at the end of the season.

Club sports don't practice as much as their varsity brethren but it's a a substantial time investment with many weekends spent on long bus trips. It's a commitment. And yes there are regional and national rankings. :)

It's a great way for players to continue playing at a high level while focusing on their studies. True student athletes.