Isaiah Jones out for the season | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Isaiah Jones out for the season

Oh man, the loss of Rhino, Thompson and Jones in the first three weeks really hurts. Another rough season for injuries to key guys.
Every team goes through it. The good teams have capable backups. I think we have a good team. I think we have depth here. Perhaps Hatcher? Is this a chance for Queeley to get back in the rotation? He's been pretty reliable the last couple of years.

Every team goes through it. The good teams have capable backups. I think we have a good team. I think we have depth here. Perhaps Hatcher?
At this point I think Teri Hatcher would be a better decoy out there.

I beg to differ.
First off - no reason why Villari can't be the pass catching TE.
(he can also be the passing TE, which would be big fun)

Is Mahar injured?? He is seemingly perfect as a WR/TE hybrid sorta guy.

I like the guys we can roll out in the slot WR position:
Courtney, Pena, Mr Cooper - that's a pretty solid rotation, all proven guys with some wiggle.

We certainly have bodies for outside WR's:
Alford 6'6", Gadsden 6'5", Hayes 6'2", Queeley (if he gets healthy) 6'2".

And the ??? guys:
Hatcher 6'3", Long 6'2", Brown 6'1", Adams 6'0"
Hatcher looked like Taj2.0 with his RAC abilities (and hopefully sans the diva 'tude).
Long and Brown both speedsters. Ditto Adams.
Adams has already got a TD this season.

I'm cautiously optimistic that Anae et al can make a workable rotation out of these pieces.
Wouldn't rely on Pena. Didn't play last game, injured in UConn game. Got injured last year too and missed a whole lot of time. Lots of speed, potential but having trouble staying on field.

Wouldn't rely on Pena. Didn't play last game, injured in UConn game. Got injured last year too and missed a whole lot of time. Lots of speed, potential but having trouble staying on field.

Didn't he take a bad hit and break his arm/wrist last year? Played in 7 games.

I beg to differ.

Courtney, Pena, Mr Cooper - that's a pretty solid rotation, all proven guys with some wiggle.

And the ??? guys:
Hatcher looked like Taj2.0 with his RAC abilities (and hopefully sans the diva 'tude).

I'm cautiously optimistic that Anae et al can make a workable rotation out of these pieces.

Gadsden is a TE. He is working the middle of the field.

If you look at the 2018 team there are similarities in what we have. That team had Riley, Nykeim, and Pierce working the middle. This team has Cooper, Pena, and Gadsden. That team had Taj on the outside, while this team has Jackson. The problem is, that team had Custis while this team has Alford who has played more like Butler.

We need someone to step up on the outside. Jones looked like he could be that guy. The good news is we have 3 weeks to have someone seize the role. The bad news is we don't seem to have anyone capable.

Sucks that all 3 of these injuries are season-enders, whatever happened to 4-6 weeks being a bad injury?
Alford's blocking is underrated, if not for his blocking OG does not get TD1 on Saturday.
Alford is out 4-6 weeks?

What’s the status with Donovan Brown? MOB Scout team MVP this week. Is redshirt the plan?

Sorry to hear about Jones. Hopefully he fully heals and hits the gym to build up. He certainly made a few nice grabs but we are not replacing a 80 reception 1000 yard receiver here. Hopefully we can replace his productivity. I think Gadsden will be getting allot more looks. Cooper ha some nice catches this year, Adams showed some long ball skills and we still have others who can step up. Hopefully Jones comes back next year fully healed and healthy!

He had a shoulder injury in camp. I suspect it was reinjured in a bad way.

Yeah, dislocated shoulder or something to that effect.

DB *yanked* on his arm and caused the (re)injury - almost like it was intentional.

I think Alford is gonna step right on up!
He’s so streaky, doh. With that physical presence he could dominate if he just became more consistent. It a shame those tools are literally not being utilized properly- & don’t wanna say being wasted. Hopefully he’ll step.

Yeah, dislocated shoulder or something to that effect.

DB *yanked* on his arm and caused the (re)injury - almost like it was intentional.
not to do the "i have that injury" but I have that dislocated shoulder issue and once it goes and it isn't surgically repaired it can reinjure fairly easy because of the looseness in that ball/socket area (if it's a dislocation). I bet they'll totally repair and strengthen thus the season ending aspect. Otherwise once it's back in you theoretically can play right away but the chance of it coming out again go wayyy up

My guess is that Bobby A and Dino and co. ask D'Marcus Adams, Umari, Queely and CJ Hayes to step it up in practice this week. What stinks about this loss other than the fact that it sucks that the kid has to go through an injury like this is that he was such a threat at 6'4". The third tallest receiver on the team so Oronde and Damien need to continue to be our jump ball guys. Terrible loss, man, feel for him.
My surmise is that Jackson and Cooper will take up the slack, and possibly Alford and Pena if healthy.

Alford got skunked against Purdue (0 catches)but you can't teach his size and speed. Unfortunately, he is still making lots of mistakes - blocking problems; failing to drag a toe inbounds; forgetting to secure the ball with two hands; failing to use his body to shield the defender; not coming back to the ball, etc. I have confidence that Beck is working on these things ... hopefully it'll click for Alford this year. He had a nice block on the Gadsden TD.

Adams played in one game. He has one reception (a big play against UConn). He has speed .. but he didn't get in the Purdue game according to the participation report. Not sure he's RFPT.

Vilari .. another really good prospect that could literally change the offense by giving us a dimension we haven't had. Again, he's a ways away according to HCDB.

That leaves Queely, Hatcher, Hayes and Pena. Hayes has played in all 3 games (I believe ST) but doesn't have a catch. Probably needs more time. Queely and Hatcher have fallen back in the rotation and haven't played. That leaves Pena, who may be nicked up.

We'll prob. see more of the guys who are getting separation and making catches ... Gadsden, Jackson, Cooper, Alford and hopefully Pena when healthy - he's a play maker.

Last edited:
So not sure if ESPN is up to date but they are showing Jones at 4 receptions for 60 yards this year. If we can't replace that production I would be very surprised. Again I hope the young man gets healthy and comes back stronger and faster next season.

So not sure if ESPN is up to date but they are showing Jones at 4 receptions for 60 yards this year. If we can't replace that production I would be very surprised. Again I hope the young man gets healthy and comes back stronger and faster next season.

He was showing promise. He was being targeted for back shoulders. He had a catch where he went up and got the ball. Which we haven't really seen since 2017. No other outside WR has shown much and that is a concern. The one guy who was showing something is gone.

Alford for all the game time he has gotten, has 15 catches in 19 games played. He has yet to have a 3 catch game and only has three 2 catch games. He has seven 0 catch games, that is more than 1/3 of his games played. So 16 of 19 games he has had 0-1 catches. He is averaging only 15.7 yards per game.

Agreed. I think Alford and he have about the same potential and or ability. He can be replaced as of right now without much of an issue

I beg to differ.

And the ??? guys:

Just getting into this thread. So sorry learning about Isaiah Jones. He injured his shoulder in pre-season and must have aggravated it Saturday in whatever happened. Saw him coming off the field with his arm hanging straight down - not good.

A lot of worried people here. I think our current receiver group will step up and Garret Shrader, who was anything but what he showed he can do passing and being accurate vs Louisville and the dogs, will help us be the team we were in game one.

We have receivers who will be taking reps this week to replace Jones, Pena and Foster who are all out and to make themselves better than they were last week. But, who are you thinking would be the best receiver to get results, catch the ball and add on extra yardage?

We have receivers who are here because they are good, have HS resumes that are worthy but are freshman and except for two have no game experience.

I would rather have someone who has been in some games, caught some balls, is fast and can create separation which doesn’t leave any past the two deep to step up. CJ Hayes, a senior, is my pick though he hasn’t caught a pass for us yet and dropped a ball thrown into his hands by Shrader in the Louisville game, but had 25 catches during his stint for MST before transferring here, my second choice is D'Marcus Adams who played for FAU and runs a 4.46 but was used as a punt returner there. Saw Villari was in for at least one play vs. Purdue.

Hopefully the owies aren’t that sore and we will have a good four days of practice. And perhaps coming from Virginia, Dr. Robert Anae and Jason Beck will be able to provide some inside information about what their old team likes to do in certain situations.

But most importantly it will be up to us to play the way we are capable of playing and put another game into the WIN column. I hope every person who cares about Syracuse football is there and makes the LOUD HOUSE VERY LOUD SO VA CAN’T HEAR ANYTHING.

Here’s a comparison of QB stats from a game this weekend:

OLD DOMINION 14

Hayden Wolf CMP 23 // ATT 37 // YDS 235 // TD 2 // INT 0 // LNG 29 // SCK 3

VIRGINIA 16

Brennan Armstrong PASS // CMP 20 // ATT 37 // YDS 284 // TD 0 // LNG 45 // SCK 2

RUSH // ATT 14 // GAIN 76 // LOSS 22 // NET 54 // TD 0 // LNG 17 // AVG 3.9

I beg to differ.

And the ??? guys:

Not recommending we panic but the list of proven Wrs on your list is pretty slim. Even calling the 3 slot guys proven is a bit of a stretch. We desperately need someone on the outside to emerge as Alford has really struggled as someone pointed out and his numbers as a starter are actually pretty bad.

Agreed. I think Alford and he have about the same potential and or ability. He can be replaced as of right now without much of an issue

Alford's got to start holding the ball first.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom