It’s Portal time! | Page 62 | Syracusefan.com

It’s Portal time!

why not? Was Elijah getting drafted based on his numbers at East Carolina?
do you feel he slapped the East Carolina coach in the face by leaving?

i don’t see much difference at all. He felt going to Syracuse would better his chances at the nba. Geno Thorpe probably did too. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn’t
We did well with those two and Gbinjie. I said some guys will benefit but it's going to be a minority. Most of the 1300 will be lateral at best and like others have said might end up with no chair at the table.

We did well with those two and Gbinjie. I said some guys will benefit but it's going to be a minority. Most of the 1300 will be lateral at best and like others have said might end up with no chair at the table.

sure, I don’t disagree with that at all...that’s not what I was responding to

you said “Does everyone else look at all these portal people as slapping the face of the coach/school that worked the hardest to recruit them.”

I don’t agree with that. I don’t think Swider slapped Jay Wright in the face at all. He went to where he felt was best for him

The majority of our games were on the same streaming service I could watch every MEAC game on.

this idea of tv exposure in 2021 is nonsense. Scouts know all the good players at every level
Lol. But I think level of competition still matters. You want to prove yourself against the best. And you also want to play in big hyped games against elite opponents that people actually watch with thousands of screaming fans in the stands. Most people still watch games on linear TV, not ESPN+.

Last edited:
That's why Jimmy hasn't been announced yet.

They need 1 more forward and/or center, although I would say more of a rebounding forward. If Quincy comes back, I think we're OK in the front court.

They also need one more guard, badly. It should be one of these guys who was a killer combo guard at the G5 level, or maybe a pure PG from that level of school.
I agree that SU needs more depth. I just question why a guy getting major minutes would want to trade that in for what we offer. Playing at the g5 level isn't the relegation zone it used to be with social media and the proliferation of games on tv. Drake got as much publicity as SU this year as did Lolyola Chicago and a lot of other g5 schools. I would argue putting up big stats at those schools is better than putting up Braswell-like #s at a perennial bubble team in a major conference.

I agree that SU needs more depth. I just question why a guy getting major minutes would want to trade that in for what we offer. Playing at the g5 level isn't the relegation zone it used to be with social media and the proliferation of games on tv. Drake got as much publicity as SU this year as did Lolyola Chicago and a lot of other g5 schools. I would argue putting up big stats at those schools is better than putting up Braswell-like #s at a perennial bubble team in a major conference.

Because unless Boeheim is senile, there are a lot of guards out there who should be able to beat out Girard as our PG.

Of course, we already had one. But there are others out there.

Because unless Boeheim is senile, there are a lot of guards out there who should be able to beat out Girard as our PG.

Of course, we already had one. But there are others out there.

Hypothetical. We recruit a better guard, he beats out Joe, Joe leaves or mentally checks out and chemistry takes a major blow. Are we better off after that because we have a better guard short and long term?

Honest question not trying to be snippy in case it sounds that way. I feel like we have made our bed and development is a better gamble than replacement.

Hypothetical. We recruit a better guard, he beats out Joe, Joe leaves or mentally checks out and chemistry takes a major blow. Are we better off after that because we have a better guard short and long term?

Honest question not trying to be snippy in case it sounds that way. I feel like we have made our bed and development is a better gamble than replacement.
Yes

Yes

I think we would definitely all have to swallow the possibility of a really bad season while it works itself out but that is me. I just don't think the fickleness of some of these kids these days lends itself to that going well in the short term. I feel like even maybe 5-6 yrs ago you don't think twice or worry so much about chemistry.

No diss to you at all...I get where you are coming from... but why do all the hypotheticals where Joe gets sat behind a better player result in him having a mental breakdown and checking out.

If Sid comes back this year and is great, will there be posts about “we have to think about how Jesse will handle it”?

no, of course not.

Last edited:
No diss to you at all...I get where you are coming from... but why do all the hypotheticals where Joe gets sat behind a better player result in him having a mental breakdown and checking out.

If Sid comes back this year and is great, will there be posts about “we have to think about how Jesse to handle it”?

no, of course not.

Yeah, I mean if Joe is just going to roll up into a ball at the first sign of adversity, we're screwed either way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom