It’s Portal time! | Page 71 | Syracusefan.com

It’s Portal time!

I strongly disagree. JG3 accepted his schollie as the 4th guard (Carey/Buddy/Goodine). And I believe when he accepted, Dior was already scheduled to come here. SU had been JG3's dream school and he came here as a backup over going to a lesser place as the unquestioned starter.

To me, it's insulting to JG3's character to say he would pack up and leave because his personal minutes decreased even though it was beneficial to the team as a whole.

You can call it your personal belief, but you chose to post this unsubstantiated garbage.
Thank you for letting me call it my personal belief.
What makes Joe any different than the thousands of players looking to transfer for more playing time?Lots of players come in knowing they might sit behind someone but know they can be the starter in a year or two.
Do you think every player that transfers for a starting role has character issues? Get a grip!

Thank you for letting me call it my personal belief.
What makes Joe any different than the thousands of players looking to transfer for more playing time?Lots of players come in knowing they might sit behind someone but know they can be the starter in a year or two.
Do you think every player that transfers for a starting role has character issues? Get a grip!
You were talking about one specific player, JG3. You're claiming he would leave if someone was brought in who could win the starting job. I don't think he would. JG3 has been different than thousands of players because he chose to battle at SU for minutes on a team. He is an Upstate NY small school legend who chose to go to his dream school.

It appears you're applying a generality to a specific case when you think just because many transfer out when losing minutes, that JG3 will. That's all you got? That's weak. You felt the need to post your insulting personal belief based off the logical fallacy of applying the general to the general to the specific.

Can you recognize that some (possibly JG3) could consider it an insult to their character to say they would leave because of this?

You were talking about one specific player, JG3. You're claiming he would leave if someone was brought in who could win the starting job. I don't think he would. JG3 has been different than thousands of players because he chose to battle at SU for minutes on a team. He is an Upstate NY small school legend who chose to go to his dream school.

It appears you're applying a generality to a specific case when you think just because many transfer out when losing minutes, that JG3 will. That's all you got? That's weak. You felt the need to post your insulting personal belief based off the logical fallacy of applying the general to the general to the specific.

Can you recognize that some (possibly JG3) could consider it an insult to their character to say they would leave because of this?
This is also your personal belief and unsubstantiated - exactly what you called the OP out on. Nobody knows what Joe would do, but the possibility that he would transfer out certainly exists given the landscape across college hoops right now. People should be able to discuss that freely without getting attacked on here.

Have you been to Eastern Washington?
Yes. Wonderful winter wonderland, sun, dry snow, 100 plus miles of groomed trails, Sun Mtn. Lodge and countless ski chalets for rent. Highly recommend it.

This is also your personal belief and unsubstantiated - exactly what you called the OP out on. Nobody knows what Joe would do, but the possibility that he would transfer out certainly exists given the landscape across college hoops right now. People should be able to discuss that freely without getting attacked on here.
I agree. I also don't believe that someone deciding to transfer is a sign of poor character.

I agree. I also don't believe that someone deciding to transfer is a sign of poor character.
And it's fine if you don't believe it is any sign of character. But you should be open to the possibility that someone else could have a difference of opinion.

I would be extremely disappointed if JG3 transferred.

I don’t think it’s an insult to anyone’s character if they do what’s best for them.I think you are blowing this thing way out of what the comment was meant to be.Joe I’m sure has aspirations to play professional bball and if he wasn’t getting the playing time here he and any kid would move on to someplace they could show off their talents.

I don’t think it’s an insult to anyone’s character if they do what’s best for them.I think you are blowing this thing way out of what the comment was meant to be.Joe I’m sure has aspirations to play professional bball and if he wasn’t getting the playing time here he and any kid would move on to someplace they could show off their talents.
Okay. My bad.

Do you think Joe has aspirations for professional bball? I just don't see it. I think he would be better served to use the 5 years of massive exposure (and education) to set himself up in a different way.

Okay. My bad.

Do you think Joe has aspirations for professional bball? I just don't see it. I think he would be better served to use the 5 years of massive exposure (and education) to set himself up in a different way.

Sure he does. And he'd be crazy not to pursue that goal.

That doesn't mean he'll make it to the NBA. But professional aspirations -- as in he'd get paid to play basketball [perhaps somewhere really cool like BJ Johnson, who just signed to play for a team in Brisbane, Australia]? Absolutely.

Last edited:
Sure he does. And he'd be crazy not to pursue that goal.

That doesn't mean he'll make it to the NBA. But professional aspirations -- as in he'd get paid to play basketball [perhaps somewhere really cool like BJ Johnson, who just signed to play for a team in Brisbane, Australia]? Absolutely.
JG3 won't sniff the NBA. So we're talking something that you call "cool" like Brisbane - which might be cool for a lot of people for 4 days - then it's kind of like a forced quarantine in a foreign country.

I could see the coaching option as being more attractive to him. Isn't JG3's father a coach? JG3 could go the GMac route (did he play anywhere?). For coaching, a 5 year stint at SU would really help- tons of publicity, probably could piece together a Masters in that time period.

Those were just the freshmen.
Yeah, but Tape was a one year guy, too. If they’re going to fill a new arena to replace Cameron, they are going to get better players.

JG3 won't sniff the NBA. So we're talking something that you call "cool" like Brisbane - which might be cool for a lot of people for 4 days - then it's kind of like a forced quarantine in a foreign country.

I could see the coaching option as being more attractive to him. Isn't JG3's father a coach? JG3 could go the GMac route (did he play anywhere?). For coaching, a 5 year stint at SU would really help- tons of publicity, probably could piece together a Masters in that time period.

You're right -- he won't sniff the NBA. That is far from the only option available.

Your take on Australia suggests that you're out of touch with the dynamics of international basketball. Being able to earn professional salary for playing a game is not a punishment. If he wants to do something else, that will be up to him and nobody should criticize. The same way nobody should criticize him for pursuing the dream of being paid to play, if that's the direction he goes.

No more than resigning to take another position where one sees a better opportunity is a sign of poor character. Just as no one stays at the same job for 45 or 50 years any more (well practically no one) The 4 or 5 year player at one school may become a minority. Games are the fun part, players want to play in games. Imagine sitting for 2 years waiting for your chance and suddenly a 5 star super star is recruited for the job you have worked your butt off for, the kid is better than you, are younger than you are and has all the espn hype associated with a big 5 star player. Sure some kids may love their school so much they stay but others just want to get on the court and have fun. The workouts and practices are a grind.

I think the key to us getting another guard, especially a PG, from the portal is he has to be a clear cut starter over Joe. If it is questionable, he probably doesn’t come here. And, if he is good enough, Joe would probably understand the move and take a backup role. I am sure he wouldn’t be crazy about it, but if a dude is just better, then it is what’s best for the team.
dont think they will go after another PG...from what I can decipher from other posters, Symir is a PG and in that case the 4th guard, if there is one, will be a scorer...presumably...but definitely bench option...so...kinda limits who it might be...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom