It Makes Me Laugh... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

It Makes Me Laugh...

I honestly don't understand the geography angle.

We are currently in a conference with schools from Wisconsin, Kentucky, Illinois, and Ohio. The New Big East was *entirely* about money, convenience and survival. What the heck else ties Syracuse to Marquette?

Outside of have 2 too many schools in North Carolina, the mew ACC makes good geographic sense. It covers the eastern seaboard from Massachusetts to Florida, with members in NY, PA, MD, VA, NC, SC and GA.

The new ACC is what would have formed had SU, BC and Pitt followed through on their threat to leave the Big East in the late 1980s.

Again, I'm not trying to convince you of anything. I just don't understand some of the lamenting.

I'd settle for one less, but I know that ain't happening. :rolling:

Cheers,
Neil

I honestly don't understand the geography angle.

We are currently in a conference with schools from Wisconsin, Kentucky, Illinois, and Ohio. The New Big East was *entirely* about money, convenience and survival. What the heck else ties Syracuse to Marquette?

Outside of have 2 too many schools in North Carolina, the mew ACC makes good geographic sense. It covers the eastern seaboard from Massachusetts to Florida, with members in NY, PA, MD, VA, NC, SC and GA.

The new ACC is what would have formed had SU, BC and Pitt followed through on their threat to leave the Big East in the late 1980s.

Again, I'm not trying to convince you of anything. I just don't understand some of the lamenting.

I'm lamenting a conference that never existed, generally, and won't ever exist, I guess. I just think from a TV perspective and a fan perspective the best conferences are the ones that have strong geographic ties (SEC football, BE hoops -- even if you add all the other schools, it was still a conference largely based in the NE, B1G football ...). I'd have loved -- and still don't really understand why it wouldn't happen -- to see a true NE conference. That said, I realize I'm just being a complete pain in the a$$.

I just have watched a fair amount of ACC football and hoops the last 10+ years and I find it mostly boring. Once SU is involved, I'm sure I'll come around.

I just have watched a fair amount of ACC football and hoops the last 10+ years and I find it mostly boring. Once SU is involved, I'm sure I'll come around.

If you found Big East football remotely interesting from 2005 to 2012 because we were involved, then I feel very confident that you will indeed come around on ACC football for 2013 and beyond.

If you found Big East football remotely interesting from 2005 to 2012 because we were involved, then I feel very confident that you will indeed come around on ACC football for 2013 and beyond.

Fair point. I'm interested to play BC again. And VA Tech will be fun b/c I know a bunch of Va Tech fans. UMD could be interesting. I'll talk myself into it.

I'm lamenting a conference that never existed, generally, and won't ever exist, I guess. I just think from a TV perspective and a fan perspective the best conferences are the ones that have strong geographic ties (SEC football, BE hoops -- even if you add all the other schools, it was still a conference largely based in the NE, B1G football ...). I'd have loved -- and still don't really understand why it wouldn't happen -- to see a true NE conference. That said, I realize I'm just being a complete pain in the a$$.

You aren't being a complete pain, and as a fellow northeastern I understand. But even when I was dreaming of a northeastern conference in the 80s, it still included southern teams like Miami and FSU (and a certain midwestern team whose strongest following is in the northeast) because there really wasn't enough good strictly northeastern teams to build a good 10 team conference. Which is why I bought hook, line, and sinker into Swofford's vision of an East Coast conference that stretched from Boston to Miami back in 2003 and got ticked that he wasn't able to pull it off.

But look, he's getting there, slowly but surely.

Cheers,
Neil

The basketball Big East that we all loved was lost as soon as it expanded beyond Miami. That's when playing the double round robin was lost and the rivalries were weakened. I will miss (and already do) that Big East, but to stay in this malformed version would have been slow athletic suicide.

So now North Carolina is going to join the Big 10? good lord please stop with the nonsense.

Jesus Christ, don't get your panties in a bunch. Pick another ACC school for the Big 10 if it bothers you that much.

You aren't being a complete pain, and as a fellow northeastern I understand. But even when I was dreaming of a northeastern conference in the 80s, it still included southern teams like Miami and FSU (and a certain midwestern team whose strongest following is in the northeast) because there really wasn't enough good strictly northeastern teams to build a good 10 team conference. Which is why I bought hook, line, and sinker into Swofford's vision of an East Coast conference that stretched from Boston to Miami back in 2003 and got ticked that he wasn't able to pull it off.

But look, he's getting there, slowly but surely.

Cheers,
Neil

This is really it. What sealed the fate of an exclusively northeaster, all-sports conference happened 60+ years ago, when most of the private schools in the northeast de-emphasized major college athletics. After that there was never enough schools in the region to support a nationally-competitive league across football, hoops and everything else.

Honestly, the ACC of 2013 is not going to look all that different from how you'd draw up an eastern seaboard conference anyway, if we concede that Penn State was destined to be with similar land-grant institutions in the B1G. If the ACC dropped 2 of the NC schools (Wake, NC State) and added UConn and Rutgers that would be a logical east coast conference. What we're going to be in isn't all that far off, really.

Jesus Christ, don't get your panties in a bunch. Pick another ACC school for the Big 10 if it bothers you that much.

Your scenario looks like something I would read on the rutgers board. it's nonsense.

Pick another ACC school, why? It ain't happening. None, nadda, zippo, zilch. Never happening.

Your scenario looks like something I would read on the rutgers board. it's nonsense.

Pick another ACC school, why? It ain't happening. None, nadda, zippo, zilch. Never happening.

Uh huh. Whatever you say. The writing's been on the wall and it's still on the wall. Four superconferences with 16 teams has always been the goal.

Uh huh. Whatever you say. The writing's been on the wall and it's still on the wall. Four superconferences with 16 teams has always been the goal.

If that's the goal, then there are a lot of people who are really bad at reaching their goals.

I will continue to assume they never will.

I've still never ever heard anyone ever mention that it's the goal, outside of random fan speculation and liking nice round #'s.

Well, 4 conferences with 16 teams may not have ever specifically been quoted, but recent quotes by Missouri AD Alden, Wisconsin AD Alvarez, and Nick Saban have been referencing a new upper division in college athletics of between 60-70 like-minded institutions with similar academic *cough**cough* goals, similar athletic budgets, etc.

Cheers,
Neil

Well at least under your scenario the ACC would gain 200 million dollars in exit fees PLUS whatever ND would owe.

Well, 4 conferences with 16 teams may not have ever specifically been quoted, but recent quotes by Missouri AD Alden, Wisconsin AD Alvarez, and Nick Saban have been referencing a new upper division in college athletics of between 60-70 like-minded institutions with similar academic *cough**cough* goals, similar athletic budgets, etc.

Cheers,
Neil

Isn't that what we have starting next year? It's just split into 5 leagues, not 4. By my count, it's 62 schools plus ND. They split the lion's share. And give some money to G5 just to shut them up and keep Congress away.

Nick Saban also thinks that fast paced hurry up offenses like Oregon's are unfair. So I'm probably going to use him as the throwaway part of the sample.

Isn't that what we have starting next year? It's just split into 5 leagues, not 4. By my count, it's 62 schools plus ND. They split the lion's share. And give some money to G5 just to shut them up and keep Congress away.

Nick Saban also thinks that fast paced hurry up offenses like Oregon's are unfair. So I'm probably going to use him as the throwaway part of the sample.

Bingo.

The consolidation already happened.

Does anyone else see this as opening the door to additional realignment? You now have the Big 10/Pac-12 champs in the Rose Bowl and the SEC/Big 12 champs in the Sugar Bowl. There's your four-team playoff. With five unbalanced conferences, the deck must be reshuffled...

Notre Dame will be left out of this year's championship game and I think that will seal the deal for the football program to finally join a conference. But it won't be the ACC. They'll join the Big 10, along with Rutgers, Maryland and North Carolina. That's 16 teams.

Florida State and Clemson (or NC State) join the SEC, putting the conference at 16 teams.

The Pac-12 fills it's four available slots with the two Oklahoma schools and the two Kansas schools.

That leaves six teams in the Big 12 and 10 schools in the ACC. They join forces and there you have it.

There won't be a need for buyouts because the five conferences will work this out together. In addition, they can expand the playoff to eight teams very easily. Some potential scenarios:

1. Conference champions plus four wild cards.
2. Conference champions plus an additional team from each conference.
3. Conference championship games become the de facto first round of the tournament.
Dude? DudeofWV? Is that you?

That's not true. Lots of other things were accomplished. For example, we moved from the "worst BCS conference" to the "NEW worst BCS conference." We got rid of those pesky hoops rivalries that we've been playing since I was a kid and replaced them with marquee football matchups we're all drooling about -- like Clemson and NC State! AND, we finally get to get out from under NYC and MSG and play our conference tournament at real venues, like greensboro and charlotte!

Plus, since we're making more money now, I doubt we'll lose more than 4 football games a year. In fact, we'll likely be laughing our way to the championship (and the bank) annually while Rutgers and UConn are never heard from again!!!!

It's been a banner 8 months.

whut.jpg

If that's the goal, then there are a lot of people who are really bad at reaching their goals.

I will continue to assume they never will.

I've still never ever heard anyone ever mention that it's the goal, outside of random fan speculation and liking nice round #'s.

Vince Dooley in the 90's. It's where this all started.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Well at least under your scenario the ACC would gain 200 million dollars in exit fees PLUS whatever ND would owe.

I suspected you didn't read my post very closely and now it's been proven.

I suspected you didn't read my post very closely and now it's been proven.

Maybe you didn't read your own post very closely.

You said Maryland and UNC to the Big 10. And FSU/Clemson (or NC State) to the SEC.

AND you have ND to the Big 10.

That would make at a minimum 200 million dollars to the ACC in exit fees.

Maybe you didn't read your own post very closely.

You said Maryland and UNC to the Big 10. And FSU/Clemson (or NC State) to the SEC.

AND you have ND to the Big 10.

That would make at a minimum 200 million dollars to the ACC in exit fees.

"There won't be a need for buyouts because the five conferences will work this out together."

You were saying?

The whole idea of 4 x 16 is ridiculous because there is only one place for the PAC12 to get any teams. Hint it is not the ACC.

The whole idea of 4 x 16 is ridiculous because there is only one place for the PAC12 to get any teams. Hint it is not the ACC.

As I see it, the main problem to getting to 4X16 isn't the Pac. That is something they almost pulled off before any one else. It's the academic snobbery of the ACC and BiG and the egos of Texas and ND.

But even if it happens at some point in future, there will be some change that makes it more advantageous to go back to smaller sized conferences. It's all cyclical.

Cheers,
Neil

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom