Italy Game #1 (SU 69-59) | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Italy Game #1 (SU 69-59)

Just a few thoughts ...

Carey - Looked the same as last year. Can get by any defender, but doesn't deal with help D very well. Looked better when he was trying to pass rather than score, which I think is an improvement from last year.

Boeheim - looked good, nothing much to report here.

Hughes - seemed to tighten up his handle, which could be important for us.

Guerrier - Showed a lot of skill, handling the ball, shooting, scoring in the post. He looked really good. I found myself wanting the offense to go through him more often.

Sidibe - Dominated the Italian big men, had a ton of blocks. Really influential. Good news for us!

Goodine - Couldn't shake his man without a screen, and his man wasn't super athletic. But He played the best D of any freshman, and he hit a bunch of shots. Looked more comfortable off the ball. Wouldn't mind seeing more of Goodine this year if Hughes shows he can become a ball handler, the way Battle did last year.

Girard - Didn't have the best game, but his talent is obvious. Quick, good handle. Had some great passes. I think he plays this year.

Braswell - Didn't do much in this game, only took one shot and missed it, but looked physically superior to last year. Looks better on D than on O. Our O as a whole looked worse with him in the game, but of course he was subbing for either Hughes or Guerrier which are two of our best scorers.

Edwards - Wasn't much of a presence on either side of the court. Almost every big takes time to develop. I don't think he will be an exception.

Howard - Last guy off the bench. Didn't look overly physical or athletic. Did nothing wrong, but also didn't bring much to the table. He's been away from basketball for a year, and has a lot of catching up to do.

If I was guessing right now, I'd pencil in Carey, Boeheim, Hughes, Guerrier, Sidibe, Dolezaj, and Girard into the rotation. There is a place for Ajak in this rotation if he's good enough. Goodine might be good enough to play but do we have room in the rotation for him right now?

Going to be fun to watch how these guys develop.

While EH and JC did not have awesome shooting nights, each found success in other areas. Carey 6 assists to 2 to’s, elijah had several boards and 3 assists with a pair of steals as well.

How can you say that after 1 exhibition? I like Quincy a lot and also think he will be better than OB. But OB's first scrimmage freshman season he had 17 pts, 11 rebs and made a couple 3's and everyone thought he was the greatest.

Fair enough. Looks a lot stronger inside.

For those who were able to watch the game, what was the level of competition like?

not too bad. they played hard, made some 3's and were physical on defense. they werent real athletic though.

Just a few thoughts ...

Carey - Looked the same as last year. Can get by any defender, but doesn't deal with help D very well. Looked better when he was trying to pass rather than score, which I think is an improvement from last year.

Boeheim - looked good, nothing much to report here.

Hughes - seemed to tighten up his handle, which could be important for us.

Guerrier - Showed a lot of skill, handling the ball, shooting, scoring in the post. He looked really good. I found myself wanting the offense to go through him more often.

Sidibe - Dominated the Italian big men, had a ton of blocks. Really influential. Good news for us!

Goodine - Couldn't shake his man without a screen, and his man wasn't super athletic. But He played the best D of any freshman, and he hit a bunch of shots. Looked more comfortable off the ball. Wouldn't mind seeing more of Goodine this year if Hughes shows he can become a ball handler, the way Battle did last year.

Girard - Didn't have the best game, but his talent is obvious. Quick, good handle. Had some great passes. I think he plays this year.

Braswell - Didn't do much in this game, only took one shot and missed it, but looked physically superior to last year. Looks better on D than on O. Our O as a whole looked worse with him in the game, but of course he was subbing for either Hughes or Guerrier which are two of our best scorers.

Edwards - Wasn't much of a presence on either side of the court. Almost every big takes time to develop. I don't think he will be an exception.

Howard - Last guy off the bench. Didn't look overly physical or athletic. Did nothing wrong, but also didn't bring much to the table. He's been away from basketball for a year, and has a lot of catching up to do.

If I was guessing right now, I'd pencil in Carey, Boeheim, Hughes, Guerrier, Sidibe, Dolezaj, and Girard into the rotation. There is a place for Ajak in this rotation if he's good enough. Goodine might be good enough to play but do we have room in the rotation for him right now?

Going to be fun to watch how these guys develop.

Will be very interesting to see who shows more or less the next game. Sure hope someone on that plus side is Carey. Not sure why he struggles to react to the help D so much.

Edwards sounds like a RS candidate or someone who will only play out of desperation (for this season).
This is on my personal short list of the most ridiculous posts in the board's history.

Were Sidibe/Edwards guarded by guys around 6'10 or were they a good deal shorter?

Will be very interesting to see who shows more or less the next game. Sure hope someone on that plus side is Carey. Not sure why he struggles to react to the help D so much.

Im hoping its a lack of experience with Carey and his reaction to the help D. He's still young and doesn't have a ton of PT under his belt, could take him sometime to get use to it. Im just hoping it occurs sooner rather than later.

He may be our most athletic guard but he is still sluggish with his play. Hopefully something changes for him by the start of the season.

He needs to be able to score. Big drawback. That’s why Goodine will push him for minutes.

Was only able to see a little bit, but is it accurate that Carey was the 4th best guard on the court?

He needs to be able to score. Big drawback. That’s why Goodine will push him for minutes.

Yep. Unless something has changed - he just doesn't have any flow to his game. Once he has to improvise things get ugly. He is definitely built to play extremely fast but even then he is going to have to be able to deal with help defense and finishing in traffic.

This is on my personal short list of the most ridiculous posts in the board's history.

When multiple people note that Edwards has a long way to go and looks like a project I don't think projecting him to RS is a crazy or ridiculous post. If you honestly think that then your either new to this board or don't venture to many other posts.

When multiple people note that Edwards has a long way to go and looks like a project I don't think projecting him to RS is a crazy or ridiculous post. If you honestly think that then your either new to this board or don't venture to many other posts.

Back on the objective side of this, really sucks no JBA. Would have been great to see him get a shot and give the coaches a good view of where both he and Edwards are at. Running 3 deep at C with Marek also having experience there is a lot.. someone isn't getting minutes.