Italy Game #1 (SU 69-59) | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Italy Game #1 (SU 69-59)

When multiple people note that Edwards has a long way to go and looks like a project I don't think projecting him to RS is a crazy or ridiculous post. If you honestly think that then your either new to this board or don't venture to many other posts.
It's because it's based on a bonus summer scrimmage played overseas against an opponent nothing like who we'll actually play real games against months before the season and most of our practices actually start.

Back on the objective side of this, really sucks no JBA. Would have been great to see him get a shot and give the coaches a good view of where both he and Edwards are at. Running 3 deep at C with Marek also having experience there is a lot.. someone isn't getting minutes.

Agreed, I think this would have been a great opportunity for JBA to get some minutes. That said hopefully this just pushes him to work even hard when practice starts in a few week and earn some PT. I was very encouraged from the info that came out about him after he committed here. Really think he flew under the radar and brings some skills to the 5 we haven't had in a while.

Played 2 the entire time. Didn't shoot much, but had several really nice passes. I thought he looked good.
To add to this, I thought his handle was good, and he had a couple of nice assists. However, I thought he may have rushed his shots a bit. He did hit a couple of threes in the second half, including one in the final minute for SU's final score.

When multiple people note that Edwards has a long way to go and looks like a project I don't think projecting him to RS is a crazy or ridiculous post. If you honestly think that then your either new to this board or don't venture to many other posts.
It's on my personal list of ridiculous posts. So, you cannot affect it.
And the relegation of Edwards to Justin Thomas/6 OT-game status is, thankfully, only in YOUR mind.

This is on my personal short list of the most ridiculous posts in the board's history.

There's just no way that you've been here for like 8 years and this is remotely close to the most ridiculous post you've seen. I don't even come here every day and I'd still venture on a per day basis, I see at least 10 posts that are more ridiculous.

Edwards didn't stand out in IMG scrimmages. The staff can like him all they want and be happy with his development, but there's a very wide gap from high school, where he didn't dominate, to ACC basketball. I think a redshirt year or limited playing time should be the reasonable expectation and anything more either means he's had an absolutely tremendous offseason or our team is worse than we thought.

They have 3 point guards. I think you've got to give them a chance. Carey is a good athlete, but not a good basketball player. Goodine looks like a good ball player with good size, but he looks a step too slow to me. Girard looks like he's got good potential. Maybe the best of the bunch? You can only take so much from this scrimmage. Will be fun to find out.
Played 2 the entire time. Didn't shoot much, but had several really nice passes. I thought he looked good.
Girard was at the point for a bit and had a gorgeous lob to Edwards

Last edited by a moderator:
There's just no way that you've been here for like 8 years and this is remotely close to the most ridiculous post you've seen. I don't even come here every day and I'd still venture on a per day basis, I see at least 10 posts that are more ridiculous.

Edwards didn't stand out in IMG scrimmages. The staff can like him all they want and be happy with his development, but there's a very wide gap from high school, where he didn't dominate, to ACC basketball. I think a redshirt year or limited playing time should be the reasonable expectation and anything more either means he's had an absolutely tremendous offseason or our team is worse than we thought.
The staff has been surprised with his high level of skill

Redshirting is not happening whatsoever!

More likely he starts than redshirts!

Also not saying he’s more likely to start then to not start.

You're not getting it... The dude suggests Edwards should be written off completely ("redshirt," only to be used in "desperation"), not only based on just one stinking exhibition game (this is ridiculous in its own right), but it was a game that the dude did not watch or see with his own eyes.

This is on my personal short list of the most ridiculous posts in the board's history.
He
He looked comfortable, had a couple assists (one was for a slam), missed all his 3’s in the first half, and made a few in the second half. He should be great for us!
Did he not shoot much because he couldn't make plays for himself/create enough space, or was he just much more of a 'team player' than we've seen in his HS/all-star games?

It's on my personal list of ridiculous posts. So, you cannot affect it.
And the relegation of Edwards to Justin Thomas/6 OT-game status is, thankfully, only in YOUR mind.

I see you missed the part where I noted"this year", and I missed the comparison to Justin Thomas but good memory to recall a walk on guard irrelevant to the conversation. Your free to feel anyway you want but my post isn't even in the top 100 of ridiculous statements that have uttered on this board and its many prior incarnations. If Edwards ends up being a major contributor this year (I hope he is) I will surely note my thoughts were way off.

You're not getting it... The dude suggests Edwards should be written off completely ("redshirt," only to be used in "desperation"), not only based on just one stinking exhibition game (this is ridiculous in its own right), but it was a game that the dude did not watch or see with his own eyes.

I can't speak for him, but I would guess it probably isn't solely based off of a game that he didn't watch. If he's saying he's a redshirt candidate based on having never watched him play before or read anything about him, then yeah, I agree that it's ridiculous, but I doubt that's what happened.

One exhibition game in and it's off to the races with deep debates on roster expectations. Wouldn't feel like SU Basketball without it. Need to save some of that up though...

NO this "dude" didn't write him off completely. Jim Boehiem doesn't play 4 deep at the Center position. Clearly Sidibe and Marek would be ahead of him with JBA an unknown at this point. Even if he doesn't red-shirt its unlikely at least from what we know at this point he's going to see major minutes beyond A. A lopsided score or B. Extreme foul trouble where we have seen JB forced to play centers the team was developing ie playing out of desperation. I hope Edwards is your son or something because this is a bizarre a hill to die on as I have seen in a while or at least since the last time I looked at the OT board.

I can't speak for him, but I would guess it probably isn't solely based off of a game that he didn't watch. If he's saying he's a redshirt candidate based on having never watched him play before or read anything about him, then yeah, I agree that it's ridiculous, but I doubt that's what happened.

Exactly, like most people once SU offered I saw some highlights and other stuff/game footage etc that was available on Edwards. To be honest I don't know what the big argument is, this guy is acting like I am calling for Zion Williamson to be red-shirted. It was a pretty innocuous post. I simply noted based on the feedback from people watching and noting that Edwards had a long way to go that a RS seemed likely. The horror.

I will start by pointing out that I did not watch the game.

That said, I am encouraged that we out-rebounded this team. Small or not, they were grown men. We have a bunch of thin youngters. I think this is a good sign and hope it continues...

So... catching up on the posts made during the game, is it safe to say:

• Sidibe looks like he's moving pain-free, and has regained his explosiveness?
  • Sidibe looks way more aggressive offensively than in the past?
  • Buddy / Girard can really shoot the rock?
  • Guerrier is physically ready to play college ball, and has a decent offensive game?
  • Goodine shoots much better than expected?
  • Girard is better overall than what many / most expected?
  • Carey is still inconsistent?

So... catching up on the posts made during the game, is it safe to say:

• Sidibe looks like he's moving pain-free, and has regained his explosiveness?
  • Sidibe looks way more aggressive offensively than in the past?
  • Buddy / Girard can really shoot the rock?
  • Guerrier is physically ready to play college ball, and has a decent offensive game?
  • Goodine shoots much better than expected?
  • Girard is better overall than what many / most expected?
  • Carey is still inconsistent?

The first two are the most encouraging, really hope it holds up.
The last is the most concerning as Cary seems to be the most natural PG on the roster, we really need him to be at least a decent guard this year.
Shooting seems like its going to be the best we have had since maybe Rautins Sr year, potential for 1 of 4 or 5 guys to just go off on any night. A really nice change of pace from the last couple of years when we played way to many rock fights.