It's all about perception | Syracusefan.com

It's all about perception

J

JoeySimz

For some kids. The allure of being a pro, being "big time".

5 months ago Quade was talking about UK like this. Yeh, maybe he feels bad about Gerry but it's obvious he wanted to be in what is perceived as a pro factory. Also, kids realize the media gives UK all the attention.

“I see a lot of pros on their wall. A lot of pros. So that opened my eyes,” said Green, who would’ve seen 28 names of players picked in the NBA Draft under coach John Calipari if the wall has been updated to include the latest wave. Also: “When I got there, people were asking for autographs already – as soon as I got there. It’s crazy.”

I don't think there is anything else the staff can do when they swoop in last minute with this stuff.

That's pretty much what I gathered as well. These kids look at Kentucky as the pinnacle -- interesting in that video, he made it a point to say before the announcement that today was going to be a "historic" day for his high school. Obviously his high school produced Syracuse players before. But it's clear to me he and probably a lot of the folks around him thought the perception of UK was too much to pass up on. Remember he wasn't really on UK's radar like that until recently. Goes in line with his coach saying he was torn greatly about what he thought he "should do" (loyal to Gerry/Cuse?) as opposed to what he "wanted to do" (bright lights of UK pre-NBA factory?).

I've said on here before that I would be a bit worried if Trae didn't commit to UK bc all indications pointed to this kid wanting attention and the spotlight -- which would bode well for a program like UK. Not saying these were the only factors, but it makes sense.

5 months ago Quade was talking about UK like this. Yeh, maybe he feels bad about Gerry but it's obvious he wanted to be in what is perceived as a pro factory. Also, kids realize the media gives UK all the attention.

“I see a lot of pros on their wall. A lot of pros. So that opened my eyes,” said Green, who would’ve seen 28 names of players picked in the NBA Draft under coach John Calipari if the wall has been updated to include the latest wave. Also: “When I got there, people were asking for autographs already – as soon as I got there. It’s crazy.”

I don't think there is anything else the staff can do when they swoop in last minute with this stuff.
Agree with both these posts, uk is just on another level. The kids eat it up. I knew he was going uk when his whole NG scrimmage event/ announcement was livestreamed by a uk website and not by SU. Would SU have even livestreamed the event if he was picking SU? I dunno. The other thing, 2 mins or so BEFORE he announced his decision, a uk twitter account congratulated him on picking uk. Obviously uk worked closely w Green and NG to choreograph the whole thing to make it look bigtime. The kids just eat up this type of drama, hype, and attention. And uks got it down pat. Tough to compete with

The less intelligent ones get caught up in all the hype

If you calculated a ratio of NCs divided by 5* recruits for each of the top BB schools, I think you would find that UK would be well down on the list.

For whatever that is worth.

there is no point sulking over it. quade felt special on his visits to Kentucky and for now, but soon will be one dude out of ten that is trying to get drafted. and for us he will just be some guy we recruited before.:noidea:

There's also the perception that Howard and battle will be back next year since neither are on any mock drafts. plus we went after two 5th year guards. You look at Kentucky and right now all three guards are projected first round picks. While mock drafts don't mean much right now it's easy for calipari to say "we will have one guard nExt year freshman Shai Alexander because our guards are all going pro so you will start while SU will have Howard and battle back. Plus who knows if they go after fifth year guys like this past year. You will be a back up at SU".

In reality he would start at SU with Howard in the backcourt and battle at the three. There's also a chance some of those Kentucky guards don't go pro. Briscoe and fox look like horrible three point shooters.

But like op said it's about perception and perception is Kentucky guards are all going pro and we will battle and Howard back.

Once Kentucky was serious contender It might have been better to convince green to wait until spring like Thompson. See what we have coming back and what Kentucky has coming back. Easier to sway someone when you can tell them they start at one place and come off the bench at another

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom