It's amazing how much more enthusiastic | Syracusefan.com

It's amazing how much more enthusiastic

People are about our skill players when we have an OL that is performing at a high level.
That is so true. One of my 3 major criticisms of Marrone (the others being sp teams and clock mgmt) had been the lack of progress on the ol. Well...over the 2nd half of the season the ol has stepped up in a huge way. I also think Ryan has progressed in his ability to feel pressure which has helped the ol.

one of the best OLs in the country. Certainly one of the best east of the mississippi

It's always been my belief that a good to great oline can hide a lot of flaws and give those who can't create quickly time enough to do so. Agree that having Pugh come back was the final piece to success.

Yep. The OL should be good again next year. It'll be interesting what happens with the skill players next year. We will likely replace experience at several positions, with an upgrade of speed.

The most significant speed upgrade will be at QB. We ran a zone read offense without the real threat of the qb. If we can add that element to replace the execution of Ryan, we will be tough to defend again.

And the addition of Hickey/Trudo on the right side has had real impact.
Pugh returning made that possible. But you are spot on with their performance. Trudo in particular is going to be a star.

Do we think there is a chance Pugh stays?

My best guess would be if the NFL doesn't think he'll be drafted in the target area he wants, he may stay. I wish him the best with whatever decision he makes.

Yep. The OL should be good again next year. It'll be interesting what happens with the skill players next year. We will likely replace experience at several positions, with an upgrade of speed.

The most significant speed upgrade will be at QB. We ran a zone read offense without the real threat of the qb. If we can add that element to replace the execution of Ryan, we will be tough to defend again.
As good as nassib has been, we aren't living and dying on him throwing all the time. Could be a great situation for a young qb. Run for two hundred throw twenty five times.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

The OL has been key. The talent has been there at QB, WR and RB. The OL held them back because they were playing so poorly. Now that they have become even more than functional, the skill guys can flourish.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

The OL has played well pretty much the whole season. But the big turning point IMO was committing more to the run and going under center to help the run game. That fit Smith's running style and made our team more balanced. The Minny, Pitt, RU stretch was ugly and it appeared like our new O had been figured out. But starting with the UConn game we went more under center and used two TEs more often. That little change IMO was the final piece to the puzzle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom