It's been over 5 hours and the school | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

It's been over 5 hours and the school

Once you comment, the media will want to know what the succession plan is now. My guess is that the answer is "we don't exactly know," and that's not an answer they want to give.
So, you issue the statement and then clam up. The only thing you need to say after that is, "We will address the issue in the near future."

Once you comment, the media will want to know what the succession plan is now. My guess is that the answer is "we don't exactly know," and that's not an answer they want to give.
My guess is that they have had some to think about this. Hop to Washington may be breaking news, but this has brewing for months.

SU is waiting for Kentucky to lose so they can announce Pay Pal Cal as JB's replacement.
Nah their haven't been any probes or sanctions yet on Kentucky that'd force his hand to leave while unscathed, yet!

"Cuse was supposed to announce at 1pm because Hop was using the am to meet with some people." was what I was told thismorning. UW beat them to the punch so Cuse athletic department was caught with its pants down.

also maybe trying to plug other holes in the boat; e.g., negotiate new deal w/ Red so Hop doesn't take him with him

also maybe trying to plug other holes in the boat; e.g., negotiate new deal w/ Red so Hop doesn't take him with him
Hop would never do that. Plus, Hop already knows who he wants as ass'ts and red isn't one of them.

he has to draw a staff from somewhere
He has hart. he has an ass't that is at Washington who has great recruiting ties to Seattle. he doesn't need or really want Red.

SU is waiting for Kentucky to lose so they can announce Pay Pal Cal as JB's replacement.

I would want to see that just to watch Cal's critics here turn into admirers over night.

I would want to see that just to watch Cal's critics here turn into admirers over night.
Not me. I would like the winning. I would like the style of play. I would hate the program. He is just not a good person.

He has hart. he has an ass't that is at Washington who has great recruiting ties to Seattle. he doesn't need or really want Red.
Hart is a great get for him

and I wasn't necessarily surmising that Red would go, just that JB has to reach out to all his assistants to make sure they stay (or to gently encourage them to go, as the case may be) which may partially explain the radio silence

At the end of the day he is just an assistant coach. You don't have to address when an assistant coach leaves
What? A ass't coach who is scheduled to be your head coach in just a year? One who is with the program for 22 years as a ass't coach? One who was a player and a captain for your team? You really don't think you are expected to make a statement? Of course they are. They don't know what to say.

Hart is a great get for him

and I wasn't necessarily surmising that Red would go, just that JB has to reach out to all his assistants to make sure they stay (or to gently encourage them to go, as the case may be)
If JB is retired in 1 year, all his assistants will be out looking for jobs. They can't wait to be told the AD is hiring an outsider who wants to bring in his own people. They will only stay and not look for jobs if the AD announces JB is being given a contract extension beyond next season.

If JB is retired in 1 year, all his assistants will be out looking for jobs. They can't wait to be told the AD is hiring an outsider who wants to bring in his own people. They will only stay and not look for jobs if the AD announces JB is being given a contract extension beyond next season.
yep... blowing up the Succession Plan puts everything and everyone in a state of uncertainty

Louisville did it with Pitino (although I'm sure they want his head right now). That was even worse. Basically the equivalent of us hiring JT2.

What? A ass't coach who is scheduled to be your head coach in just a year? One who is with the program for 22 years as a ass't coach? One who was a player and a captain for your team? You really don't think you are expected to make a statement? Of course they are. They don't know what to say.

And I am sure a statement will come. It's Sunday I'm sure everyone is home with their family. It's not like somebody died here or the program doesn't have a head coach at this moment.This isn't politics or the national security and this isn't some major crisis either, it's a college basketball program. A statement can be issued Monday or Tuesday and it's fine. I am not even sure a statement other than "we wish Mike Hopkins well on all of his future endeavors" is really needed. He's an assistant coach who left. It's not that big of a deal.

he has to draw a staff from somewhere & this is the only place he's known for ~1/4 century
Hop has a much wider network within the profession. In addition to the SU/West Coast Mafia (Hart, etc), he has worked with a wide array of top talent at USA basketball.

And I am sure a statement will come. It's Sunday I'm sure everyone is home with their family. It's not like somebody died here or the program doesn't have a head coach at this moment.This isn't politics or the national security and this isn't some major crisis either, it's a college basketball program. A statement can be issued Monday or Tuesday and it's fine. I am not even sure a statement other than "we wish Mike Hopkins well on all of his future endeavors" is really needed. He's an assistant coach who left. It's not that big of a deal.
well, we disagree and the national media disagrees as well. the HCIW bolted rather than wait one year. That is a big story that merits a statement. Monday or Tuesday? And if all they come out with is we wish Hop the best, and that might be it, that can be done from home by your S.I.D. Syracuse had sporting events today. People were in the Athletic departments sports information department.

The extension won't help us on the recruiting road. He is 73 in the fall. at some point, we are going to have to change coaches and other schools are going to hammer us about that change being on the way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom