It's going to be a fascinating year... | Syracusefan.com

It's going to be a fascinating year...

BostonOrange

2nd String
I think we've had a few better teams than this, but we have NEVER had as many guys who can play as we have this year. Even the late 80's teams weren't as deep at all positions as this one. We literally have multiple, quality options at every single position on the court.

Now...my question is how will that translate into actually winning basketball games? You can only play 5 at a time. JB likes to play no more than 8 in his rotation. College kids (and adults for that matter) tend to sulk and cause issues when they aren't playing. That is particularly true when they are actually talented individuals who could legitimately argue that they should be playing.

JB is going to have lots of tough decisions to make game in and game out...CJ's all around game vs JS's pure scoring, MCW's raw talent vs Scoop and Triche's experience, Fab vs BMK, etcetc. It is goign to be really interesting to see how it all plays out.

I think we've had a few better teams than this, but we have NEVER had as many guys who can play as we have this year. Even the late 80's teams weren't as deep at all positions as this one. We literally have multiple, quality options at every single position on the court.

Now...my question is how will that translate into actually winning basketball games? You can only play 5 at a time. JB likes to play no more than 8 in his rotation. College kids (and adults for that matter) tend to sulk and cause issues when they aren't playing. That is particularly true when they are actually talented individuals who could legitimately argue that they should be playing.

JB is going to have lots of tough decisions to make game in and game out...CJ's all around game vs JS's pure scoring, MCW's raw talent vs Scoop and Triche's experience, Fab vs BMK, etcetc. It is goign to be really interesting to see how it all plays out.

I think it really is going to be fascinating to watch this rotation develop. My thought is this:

I think BT, Scoop and DW are locks for big minutes at guard and KJ, CJ and -- from the looks of it -- Southerland are locks for at least some minutes at the 3/4. If I had to guess, I think the three bigs, Christmas/Keita/Melo will basically split somewhere between 40-50 minutes. Maybe Keita at 21 mpg (since he can stay out of foul trouble, Melo at 19 and Christmas at like 10-11 against BE competition.

That way the rotation is down to the six regulars and three guys functioning as 1 or 1.5 players. The odd man out would appear to be MCW. I say that b/c I don't think he's ready for BE play now. That said, he's getting a ton of minutes and his talent is obvious, so it's hard not to wonder if maybe he plays his way into 8-10 mpg by the time we get to Jan/Feb. If that happens, then maybe Boeheim plays 8 (if you count the big man trio as 1 or 1.5).

Based on what I have seen so far, I think Scoop, Xmas and Triche are most likely to lose minutes.

If anyone starts to complain about PT they have to look at Keita. He's playing less than anyone else as jim trys to get melo, christmas, fair and southerland ready and when you go to timeouts he's always right there cheering everyone on. When he comes into the game he's always bringing energy and scraps for every loose ball. He is basically this years Josh Pace, he'll leave everything on the floor.

If anyone starts to complain about PT they have to look at Keita. He's playing less than anyone else as jim trys to get melo, christmas, fair and southerland ready and when you go to timeouts he's always right there cheering everyone on. When he comes into the game he's always bringing energy and scraps for every loose ball. He is basically this years Josh Pace, he'll leave everything on the floor.

I also love the amount of ground he covers on the floor.

Based on what I have seen so far, I think Scoop, Xmas and Triche are most likely to lose minutes.

Xmas I agree with but Scoop and Triche are experienced veteran guards who bring solid skill to the table. JB rarely benches kids like this. Plus, I"m not convinced yet that MCW could handle a huge role in BE play. That seems like a leap to me.

Xmas I agree with but Scoop and Triche are experienced veteran guards who bring solid skill to the table. JB rarely benches kids like this. Plus, I"m not convinced yet that MCW could handle a huge role in BE play. That seems like a leap to me.
I am not saying he will bench them (or even not start them), I am saying they are the three most likely to lose minutes.

Melo will play more than Keita will, if he stays out of foul trouble -- which he by-and-large has not been in the first three games.

Here's what the breakdown will likely be in games that matter, on average, based on everything we've seen from Boeheim in the past:

Joseph, Triche and Scoop -- 30 minutes
Waters and Melo -- 25 minutes
Fair -- 20 minutes
Keita -- 15 minutes
Christmas -- 15 minutes
Carter-Williams -- 10 minutes

Southerland is the wild card -- I think he could see 10 minutes in a game that our offense is struggling, playing for Christmas and/or Carter-Williams. But he's got to do a better job defensively and rebounding if he wants to play. I know people are enamored with his shooting and offensive abilities, but defense is what will allow him to play minutes on the court.

I think that the players that are producing will be the ones that play. The starters will be who they are and depending on how the game unfolds, foul trouble, injuries or type of team they are playing Boeheim will put in or keep in the players that are producing results. The nice thing that I see so far with this team is that a lot of guys can produce and add different positive things to help this team win games. If you can add pressing and playing man to man it even gets better and also gives Boeheim the group of players he feels give SU their best shot at being effective with those types of defense.

In many ways he is our most prepared big as of now and is getting the fewest minutes because of it. I love his attitude and overall game. He had probably his best game yet for us last night.

How does a freshman lose minutes (after 3 games)? He hasnt earned anything yet...and the rotation is far from settled.

As far as the overall rotation goes its hard to say right now.

JB is obviously trying to get Rak and MCW as many good minutes as possible wether they are deserving yet or not.

He is also trying to get Fab as much time as possible.

JB has demonstrated that Scoop will sit when he makes the same mistakes that he has been over the course of his career at SU.

I would say that Kris and CJ are locks to play big minutes at the forward spots. James is securing his minutes so far with much improved play but needs to continue it. Rak looks more comfortable at the 5 than playing with Baye or Fab but he is going to get token minutes starting both halves.

At the guard spot Dion has earned the most PT of the 4 guards thus far IMO. If Triche can make shots he will earn the second most IMO, if not he is still steadier than Scoop and more prepared than MCW. I also find it interesting how much better Triche looks at the pg spot playing along side Dion.

Center is easy Fab and Baye in games that matter.

Look at our bench: MCW, Dion, CJ, James and Baye that has to be the best bench in all of college bball. I think MCW is the least ready out of that group but its one impressive bench unit.

I think all will be revealed once we start playing against serious competition. Beating up on early season flotsam and jetsam is fun but there will be guys who can't do that when we face BE foes. In particular, I think that the frosh will fall by the wayside, which brings us down to 8 right there.

JB always plays lots of guys early, the cream rises to the top, and those are the ones that see real PT once we hit conference season.

The team looks deep enough that he might play more guys than normal in the first half of some big games, but I'll believe that JB has changed his system only when I actually see it happen.

How does a freshman lose minutes (after 3 games)? He hasnt earned anything yet...and the rotation is far from settled.
I think he will lose them going forward. When BE play starts especially (or better OOC games), I think JB will be very quick to go with CJ and Dirty on the wing opposite Joseph.

This will be interesting. I agree that this may be the most interchangeable depth JB has ever had. The big difference between the late 80s teams and this one is that the late 80s teams had legit superstars on the court whereas this year's team does not. However, I think we can go 10 players without any noticeable drop-off in performance.

This is a blessing and maybe a curse, depending on how the individual players handle the minutes they get.

I think that Xmas's minutes are going to bounce around. Against teams that have a slightly smaller front line.. He does well at the 5 with Southerland in the game as teams start to step out on Southerland. In games against bigger front courts his role is limited to minutes at the 4 IMO. Against smaller front courts his ability to go up strong and do so quickly can get us a quick bucket or three in the post. What I would like to see is for Melo to continue to develop his post game while using the short jumpshot to pull his defender away while christmas gets position inside. Melo/Keita and Rak have a nice feel passing the ball in the post. Dirty is making a living running the baseline to get easy buckets downlow when our bigs pull away their defender.

I am not saying he will bench them (or even not start them), I am saying they are the three most likely to lose minutes.

Yeah, perhaps I used the wrong word choice. My guess -- and it's obviously a guess at this point -- is that MCW will need a year before he's stealing minutes from established players. But I certainly admit that he has undeniable talent, so I could be wrong.

Waters and Melo -- 25 minutes

Pretty decent breakdown. I see Fab more at 20 mpg than 25 mpg. I just think there are still going to be games where he gets pushed around and I still think he's going to land himself in foul trouble quite often. Just my guess.

Yeah, perhaps I used the wrong word choice. My guess -- and it's obviously a guess at this point -- is that MCW will need a year before he's stealing minutes from established players. But I certainly admit that he has undeniable talent, so I could be wrong.
It all depends on how much Triche and Scoop frustrate Boeheim. 2 things I have noticed in each game...(a) JB has grown frustrated at times with each of their play and has exhibited a fairly short leash for both, and (b) has given DW and MCW extended minutes and leashes. The latter two have been allowed to play through more of their mistakes. Scoop makes a terrible pass and he is out. Triche was getting screamed at last night. This is a good development for the "team" not a bad one.

Last year Dion Baye Melo and Southerland lost minutes as the year went on. CJ didn't average a ton of minutes.

But they were freshmen.
Are Rak and MCW ahead of them right now?

Everything is efficiency. Guys like KJO might start getting 35 while other guys get 8. We will have to wait and see.

It all depends on how much Triche and Scoop frustrate Boeheim. 2 things I have noticed in each game...(a) JB has grown frustrated at times with each of their play and has exhibited a fairly short leash for both, and (b) has given DW and MCW extended minutes and leashes. The latter two have been allowed to play through more of their mistakes. Scoop makes a terrible pass and he is out. Triche was getting screamed at last night. This is a good development for the "team" not a bad one.

Certainly a good development for the team. But I think the short leash has a lot to do with the opponent. If it's Pittsburgh instead of Manhattan and Scoop attempts that foolish behind-the-back pass (which I hope he never does against any opponent), I don't think he'll get the quick hook.

Williams and Christmas (and the team as a whole) are fortunate to get extended minutes while we have huge leads (or at least in a game where we're likely to build a huge lead). Against better opponents, though, Boeheim's going to give his veterans a little more latitude in allowing them to play through mistakes. For the time being, he's drilling it into their heads that this is not the season to be making stupid mistakes.

Certainly a good development for the team. But I think the short leash has a lot to do with the opponent. If it's Pittsburgh instead of Manhattan and Scoop attempts that foolish behind-the-back pass (which I hope he never does against any opponent), I don't think he'll get the quick hook.

Williams and Christmas (and the team as a whole) are fortunate to get extended minutes while we have huge leads (or at least in a game where we're likely to build a huge lead). Against better opponents, though, Boeheim's going to give his veterans a little more latitude in allowing them to play through mistakes. For the time being, he's drilling it into their heads that this is not the season to be making stupid mistakes.
I hear what you are saying...but I disagree at least with respect to Scoop.

I hear what you are saying...but I disagree at least with respect to Scoop.

Actually, I didn't word that part very carefully - should say "If he tries that against Pittsburgh, he'll get a quick hook, but I don't think it'll be such an extended hook. A minute of screaming and then back in, rather than ten minutes on the bench while the freshman is allowed to make a few mistakes for learning purposes."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom