It's hard to have a one-man fast break | Syracusefan.com

It's hard to have a one-man fast break

dessu

Walk On
I noticed on several occasions that after a rebound (or steal ?) the ball went to Symir, who quickly headed out for a break. However, after crossing center court, he would slow down and dribble off to the side. Then I realized that he had nobody to pass to because they were all behind him. (Except one time when he was able to pass to Sid under the basket.) It is hard to run a fast break by yourself when the other team has two or three defenders back.

I noticed on several occasions that after a rebound (or steal ?) the ball went to Symir, who quickly headed out for a break. However, after crossing center court, he would slow down and dribble off to the side. Then I realized that he had nobody to pass to because they were all behind him. (Except one time when he was able to pass to Sid under the basket.) It is hard to run a fast break by yourself when the other team has two or three defenders back.

I'm going to add a disclaimer that I do not like our offense, our rotations, etc, and I'm not trying to defend anyone, but here is my take with this (and not just from last night's instances):

It's almost the end of the year, our guys are playing big minutes, a number of them on O are putting up huge number of shots each game and they are also having to scrap on D because they just aren't good at it in a lot of cases.

So what ends up happening is you have guys that need to pick and choose their moments. They cannot go 100% the whole time and have to ration out energy.

Now, does that mean we shouldn't be able to run a fast break? No, of course not.

But, I may be wrong, I don't believe we get a ton of fast break points at the rim (versus above-the-break threes via fast break), so we don't have a ton of live game experience, we don't really have the personnel for it (just imo), and then we have guys that are probably gassed in the 2H of games, so sprinting down and applying pressure on the D may just be few and far between.

Again, I'm not sure, I don't have our points breakouts to prove that. I'm just saying, for better or worse, in the back half of these games now, with our offensive strategy, Buddy is going to be gassed. Jimmy prob will be, too. I'm sure Cole won't be running sprints after the game, etc.

Just my 0.02. It's a fair point you bring up, but I think we just don't have the experience, personnel and energy to really do it very well. But maybe I'm wrong. Dunno.

Joe and Buddy have been the slowest starting backcourt in the ACC for the past 3 years unfortunately

Its a slow team that rarely gets fast break baskets, even Benny doesn't appear to sprint to the blocks, he sort of glides and then floats around the perimeter.

It often looks like a YMCA men's league team.

Symir at least has an extra gear to push the ball and get the opponent on their heels which can make space for secondary break opps.

Joe and Buddy have been the slowest starting backcourt in the ACC for the past 3 years unfortunately

Its a slow team that rarely gets fast break baskets, even Benny doesn't appear to sprint to the blocks, he sort of glides and then floats around the perimeter.

It often looks like a YMCA men's league team.

Symir at least has an extra gear to push the ball and get the opponent on their heels which can make space for secondary break opps.

Yeah, my hope was that Benny could live above the rim for us and.... he just doesn't seem to want to do that.

He's shooting mid range jump shots. Now, I get that his situation is passed the rubicon, but originally that was my hope. That we would have these bursts where we would bring in Sy, Benny would be out there with Cole and Joe and Jesse and we would PUSH before going back to more methodical half court with Buddy-focus.

But, just not in the cards.

I'm going to add a disclaimer that I do not like our offense, our rotations, etc, and I'm not trying to defend anyone, but here is my take with this (and not just from last night's instances):

It's almost the end of the year, our guys are playing big minutes, a number of them on O are putting up huge number of shots each game and they are also having to scrap on D because they just aren't good at it in a lot of cases.

So what ends up happening is you have guys that need to pick and choose their moments. They cannot go 100% the whole time and have to ration out energy.

Now, does that mean we shouldn't be able to run a fast break? No, of course not.

But, I may be wrong, I don't believe we get a ton of fast break points at the rim (versus above-the-break threes via fast break), so we don't have a ton of live game experience, we don't really have the personnel for it (just imo), and then we have guys that are probably gassed in the 2H of games, so sprinting down and applying pressure on the D may just be few and far between.

Again, I'm not sure, I don't have our points breakouts to prove that. I'm just saying, for better or worse, in the back half of these games now, with our offensive strategy, Buddy is going to be gassed. Jimmy prob will be, too. I'm sure Cole won't be running sprints after the game, etc.

Just my 0.02. It's a fair point you bring up, but I think we just don't have the experience, personnel and energy to really do it very well. But maybe I'm wrong. Dunno.
We have an offense? Well do we have set offensive plays? It’s never really been our style

We have an offense? Well do we have set offensive plays? It’s never really been our style

Hey, not going to argue. It's Buddy-centric and will continue.

The poster asked a question, gave my 0.02 on it.

Yeah, my hope was that Benny could live above the rim for us and... he just doesn't seem to want to do that.

He's shooting mid range jump shots. Now, I get that his situation is passed the rubicon, but originally that was my hope. That we would have these bursts where we would bring in Sy, Benny would be out there with Cole and Joe and Jesse and we would PUSH before going back to more methodical half court with Buddy-focus.

But, just not in the cards.
Same and unfortunately, he can't shoot but he also can't dribble, so how is he gonna score?

All he can do and should do is run the floor for transition baskets and crash the offensive glass for points that way. But like we all see he just kinda floats and cant make an impact.

Same and unfortunately, he can't shoot but he also can't dribble, so how is he gonna score?

All he can do and should do is run the floor for transition baskets and crash the offensive glass for points that way. But like we all see he just kinda floats and cant make an impact.

Yep, hoping he can make a soph leap.

I think we just don't have the experience, personnel and energy to really do it very well.
Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln...

The excuses are piling up year after year since 2014.

Last edited:
It's a valid observation and one that has been happening all year.
Joe or Symir take off and then have to pull up as a 1 on 2 fast break doesn't provide optimum odds.
Also, Joe can't elevate to the rim.

If we had Anselem, Williams and Torrence out there together, we should be able to get out on the break with whoever is left trailing for the secondary break 3. I don't know why we don't push the ball unless the opponent just completely bails on defense.

You'd think a break dunk for Williams or Anselem would help them break into the offense a little.

Meh, they’re young, healthy athletes.
ThEy DoN’t gEt TirEd…least that’s what we’ve been told, anyway.

Hey, not going to argue. It's Buddy-centric and will continue.

The poster asked a question, gave my 0.02 on it.

I don’t think we have ever been a set play team. My apologies if if I came of as condescending or rude. I didn’t intend it to be that way. More of a knock on our current offensive philosophy or lack their of

Last edited:
I don’t think we have ever been a set play team. My apologies if if I came of as condescending or rude. I didn’t intent it to be that way. More of a knock on our current offensive philosophy or lack their of

Oh - didn't take it that way at all.

All good on my end!

I don’t think we have ever been a set play team. My apologies if if I came of as condescending or rude. I didn’t intend it to be that way. More of a knock on our current offensive philosophy or lack their of

We do have set plays. I can even remember the names of a few. Blue, Houston (I think), one, two, the raised fist, and of course motion which we run the most especially the last couple years. Our motion is designed to get our best shooters looks. Obviously that seems to have turned into a lot of iso this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom