It's not just us | Syracusefan.com

It's not just us

SWC75

Bored Historian
Maryland is another program that made a big move and are in a state of flux:
'There's just a disconnect': Maryland basketball, great expectations and the stark reality of a program at a crossroad

"Some programs in that rare air are obvious. Your Dukes, Kentuckys, North Carolinas, and so on.

Others, not so clear. What do we make of Indiana or UCLA or Syracuse or Louisville, so on?"

"This is the trend, overall. Since sending nine teams to both the 2017 and 2018 NCAA Tournaments, the ACC sent seven in 2019, was projected to send five in 2020, sent seven last season. It’s expected to have a potentially woeful 2022 Selection Sunday showing. The Big Ten, meanwhile, produced eight NCAA bids in 2019, was projected for 10 in 2020, sent nine teams to the bracket last season and is in line for eight or so bids this season.

So while the likes of Duke, North Carolina and Virginia might be more natural rivals and allies for Maryland, it’s the Big Ten that’s provided more paths to success."

My own opinion is that when you leave your roots behind, you are likely to suffer for it. it still kills me that there's no (North) Eastern conference and I think all the potential schools (Boston College, Connecticut, Army, Navy, Syracuse, Rutgers, Penn State, Pittsburgh, West Virginia, Temple, Maryland and maybe Cincinnati if we couldn't get Notre Dame), would be better off in it.

I wish we could get the football talent Pitt and Maryland get.
If we did we wouldn’t suck as much.
If Marrone had Maryland talent every year I doubt he leaves as quickly.

Syracuse football’s biggest problem has been talent.

'There's just a disconnect': Maryland basketball, great expectations and the stark reality of a program at a crossroad

"Some programs in that rare air are obvious. Your Dukes, Kentuckys, North Carolinas, and so on.

Others, not so clear. What do we make of Indiana or UCLA or Syracuse or Louisville, so on?"

"This is the trend, overall. Since sending nine teams to both the 2017 and 2018 NCAA Tournaments, the ACC sent seven in 2019, was projected to send five in 2020, sent seven last season. It’s expected to have a potentially woeful 2022 Selection Sunday showing. The Big Ten, meanwhile, produced eight NCAA bids in 2019, was projected for 10 in 2020, sent nine teams to the bracket last season and is in line for eight or so bids this season.

So while the likes of Duke, North Carolina and Virginia might be more natural rivals and allies for Maryland, it’s the Big Ten that’s provided more paths to success."

My own opinion is that when you leave your roots behind, you are likely to suffer for it. it still kills me that there's no (North) Eastern conference and I think all the potential schools (Boston College, Connecticut, Army, Navy, Syracuse, Rutgers, Penn State, Pittsburgh, West Virginia, Temple, Maryland and maybe Cincinnati if we couldn't get Notre Dame), would be better off in it.
The problem wasn't hoops. The problem was football. The big state financed schools wanted big stadiums, and also a complete menu of non-revenue sports.

agree, syracuse lacks an identity in the ACC. I get they had to go, but they are just an after thought in the ACC

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom