Its not the size of your rotation that matters, its the flexiblity of your member | Syracusefan.com

Its not the size of your rotation that matters, its the flexiblity of your member

pfister1

2023-24 Iggy Winner ACC & OOC Record
(s) that truly matters.

We argue about whether the rotation should be 6, 7, 8 or 9 guys. In a lot of respects that is a really stupid argument. It really depends on who those guys are...how many you need. The better and more flexible your top 6 or 7 are the fewer guys you need in your rotation.

Some years we have a roster where the players give us a tremendous amount of flexibility in the combinations that we can run out on the floor. Last year was a great example of this; both Triche and MCW could play the point. We could sub Cooney for either guy and even run Southy out a SG if absolutely necessary. We also had 3 forwards capable of playing either forward slot CJ, Southy and Jerami.

This year I don't feel like we truly have a flexible rotation. Cooney isn't really an adequate sub at the point. Our only option there is Gbinije. As a result he has to be part of the rotation so that Ennis can get breaks. The problem is that aside from just spelling Ennis and playing decent defense up top of the zone he really hasn't given us much else. He hasn't really even been an adequate backup at SG (aside from the defense) or SF as he has given us little or no offense when he is on the floor. Because we get so little offense from him I think we are really limited in how much run we can afford to give him.

At least when Baye is available you can slide Rak over to PF and play the two of them at the same time and spell Jerami and/or CJ that way. I don't think that is truly the best option, but it does work in short bursts and on occasion in longer spurts.

We also have typically had a sub that can come in and be an offensive threat in some fashion in relief of the starters. Neither Gbinije or Keita have really given us that.

Because our starting lineup this season gives us less flexibility in how we sub guys I think we would be better served having a longer rotation. This is the biggest reason that I would have liked to see JB try to jumpstart Roberson and get him into the rotation. But, if it didn't happen with Keita out it obviously isn't going to happen with him coming back (fingers crossed).

Last edited:
G being able to play 4 positions offers a ton of flexibility.

You never really want to play Christmas and Keita together, but you could potentially do that, too. Not sure why.

I just think if G's minutes bumped up to 25ish, everything would be fine and no one would have to play 40 mins.

(s) that truly matters.

We argue about whether the rotation should be 6, 7, 8 or 9 guys. In a lot of respects that is a really stupid argument. It really depends on who those guys are...how many you need. The better and more flexible your top 6 or 7 are the fewer guys you need in your rotation.

Some years we have a roster where the players give us a tremendous amount of flexibility in the combinations that we can run out on the floor. Last year was a great example of this; both Triche and MCW could play the point. We could sub Cooney for either guy and even run Southy out a SG if absolutely necessary. We also had 3 forwards capable of playing either forward slot CJ, Southy and Jerami.

This year I don't feel like we truly have a flexible rotation. Cooney isn't really an adequate sub at the point. Our only option there is Gbinije. As a result he has to be part of the rotation so that Ennis can get breaks. The problem is that aside from just spelling Ennis and playing decent defense up top of the zone he really hasn't given us much else. He hasn't really even been an adequate backup at SG (aside from the defense) or SF as he has given us little or no offense when he is on the floor. Because we get so little offense from him I think we are really limited in how much run we can afford to give him.

At least when Baye is available you can slide Rak over to PF and play the two of them at the same time and spell Jerami and/or CJ that way. I don't think that is truly the best option, but it does work in short bursts and on occasion in longer spurts.

We also have typically had a sub that can come in and be an offensive threat in some fashion in relief of the starters. Neither Gbinije or Keita have really given us that.

Because our starting lineup this season gives us less flexibility in how we sub guys I think we would be better served having a longer rotation. This is the biggest reason that I would have liked to see JB try to jumpstart Roberson and get him into the rotation. But, if it didn't happen with Keita out it obviously isn't going to happen with him coming back (fingers crossed).

Agreed to an extent. For years, JB somewhat masked a lack of depth / consistently small rotation by having players who could play 2 positions [1 or 2, 2 or 3, 4 or 5]. I agree that Gbinije has played 2 positions--even 3, now that he's getting some time at 3.

Not ideal, but as you point out Rak could slide to 4, Grant could slide to 5 in a pinch.

Where I don't feel comfortable about our depth is the lack of scoring pop off the bench. Since 2010, we've enjoyed the luxury of having some great scoring punch [in addition to versatility] off of the bench. Scoop and KJ. Waiters. Southerland. Grant. All big time players who in some cases were as good [if not better] than starters. This year, we started off with Grant coming off of the bench, continuing that trend, but with Coleman's injury Grant is starting and we don't have consistent firepower off the bench. Doesn't mean that the bench is "bad" -- just that it's different than the luxury we've enjoyed the past few seasons. And not having bench scoring essentially means that we out of necessity have to rely on our starters to provide scoring. Bad games can sink us. That wasn't necessarily the case in the previous four seasons, when JB had potent bench weapons at his disposal.

I think you are right, spot on, up through the first 2/3 of the conference season. but I think that Baye's injury is actually going to pay dividends on the flexibility front. It is forcing both Gbinijie and Roc to play more minutes, and to be productive. G had the best game of his Syracuse career vs. Pitt, Roc had his career best vs. NCSU. I think this will carry over for both of them, just as Dirty's suspension last year gave a boost to Grant.

When BMK gets back, we will have that tight 7 man rotation, with flexibility. G can back up all three perimeter spots, and Baye will essentially be backing up both interior spots - he will only play center but, as you note, he will allow Roc to play the 4 for spot minutes.

As long as he comes back full strength and there are no more injuries, Syracuse is the team to beat in March, IMHO.

I think you are right, spot on, up through the first 2/3 of the conference season. but I think that Baye's injury is actually going to pay dividends on the flexibility front. It is forcing both Gbinijie and Roc to play more minutes, and to be productive. G had the best game of his Syracuse career vs. Pitt, Roc had his career best vs. NCSU. I think this will carry over for both of them, just as Dirty's suspension last year gave a boost to Grant.

When BMK gets back, we will have that tight 7 man rotation, with flexibility. G can back up all three perimeter spots, and Baye will essentially be backing up both interior spots - he will only play center but, as you note, he will allow Roc to play the 4 for spot minutes.

As long as he comes back full strength and there are no more injuries, Syracuse is the team to beat in March, IMHO.

Love this post, Moqui!

This is the thing to me...it forces Boeheim to play them more instead of doing so anyways. I love Boeheim but to me this reflects his hook and players confidence and again imo the reason why he only has 1 NC on his resume. His competitive nature (which is a great thing) also can be his greatest liability when it comes to developing players during the season. But, to his credit a lot of players do improve the next year but is that because they didn't play as much as they could have and they just are benefiting from more minutes?

Distilling down your post, the main problem we have with flexibility is we only have 4 offensive players and they all start.

(s) that truly matters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom