It's official: Coleman won't play this year | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

It's official: Coleman won't play this year

CuseHulk said:
Don't know how much of a competition that would be. If Bryant does come here, and also have Daigne to consider. Especially considering he hasn't played in 2 years. I think he could be an good asset of the bench as that bruising big post scorer (at the 4 or 5) the opposite of a Baye Keita.

I would give Coleman the inside track...and I'm not expressing an opinion here.

If that happens is there any chance that Diagne goes the prep route? The only other possibility that jumps out at me is that Obokoh leaves because there would then be potentially four guys in front of him McCullough, Bryant, Diagne and Coleman. His not getting minutes this season with the situation we have at center makes me wonder whether he will ever be able to see the court here.

From what I've seen of Diange is much more skilled and physically ready than most would think for a big with his ratting and I think he may be quick enough laterally to play the 4 for us on D. (At least as well as Rick with some experience) I would be surprised if he prepped. Obokoh or any underclassmen may decide its not the place for them who knows.

Don't know how much of a competition that would be. If Bryant does come here, and also have Daigne to consider.

Especially considering he hasn't played in 2 years.

I think he could be an good asset of the bench as that bruising big post scorer (at the 4 or 5) the opposite of a Baye Keita.

Either way as we have seen this year you can't have too many quality big guys. Rak will be gone and its unlikely anyone is playing 30+ a game at the 5spot next year IMO. We shall see. Bryant plays with some fire as well and I could see him bringing a lot of energy if he came off the bench.

pfister1 said:
If that happens is there any chance that Diagne goes the prep route? The only other possibility that jumps out at me is that Obokoh leaves because there would then be potentially four guys in front of him McCullough, Bryant, Diagne and Coleman. His not getting minutes this season with the situation we have at center makes me wonder whether he will ever be able to see the court here.

Obokoh is a five year kid...probably not in the mix next year. McCullough won't be here unless he blows out a knee in march.

Jake said:
Obokoh is a five year kid...probably not in the mix next year. McCullough won't be here unless he blows out a knee in march.

Obokoh only has two after this right? Thought the NCAA stripped him of a year.

Either way as we have seen this year you can't have too many quality big guys. Rak will be gone and its unlikely anyone is playing 30+ a game at the 5spot next year IMO. We shall see. Bryant plays with some fire as well and I could see him bringing a lot of energy if he came off the bench.

I agree with you on he would bring if he came off the bench. I just don't see or can view him coming off the bench if he came here.

Thanks for the insight Jake. This is great news. I was someone with the opinion he should sit out this year and come back for two full years. Now he gets a chance to work on his game. It'll be like getting a transfer. FYI don't forget Okoboh lost a year of eligibility because of NCAA rules. I wonder if we ultimately petition to get that back.

You think McCullough still has a chance to get selected among the first 30, or is his mindset just that he is gone regardless?

Jake said:
Chino cannot be a 5 year kid given last years ruling. Can he?

You think McCullough still has a chance to get selected among the first 30, or is his mindset just that he is gone regardless?

With his potential he really just needs to put some consistency together down the stretch and flash in a few games.

I agree with you on he would bring if he came off the bench. I just don't see or can view him coming off the bench if he came here.

It will work itself out and like every season we will be debating both the starting line up and the rotation come next September.

Doesn't McCullough have a kid to provide for?

So next year we'll have Coleman back and healthy, Silent G as a Senior, Senior Cooney, and Sophomore Joseph. Then we add a top 10 class - which could soon include 5-star PF Thomas Bryant.

It's too early to make any predictions, but that's a lot to be excited about for 2015-16

two3zone said:
Obokoh only has two after this right? Thought the NCAA stripped him of a year.

You're right, still won't be in the mix next year.

pfister1 said:

The latter. It could change, but...

So next year we'll have Coleman back and healthy, Silent G as a Senior, Senior Cooney, and Sophomore Joseph. Then we add a top 10 class - which could soon include 5-star PF Thomas Bryant.

It's too early to make any predictions, but that's a lot to be excited about for 2015-16

Bryant is a center and a center only at SU IMO. Still nice point about having some experience and depth next season.

Don't know how much of a competition that would be. If Bryant does come here, and also have Daigne to consider.

Especially considering he hasn't played in 2 years.

I think he could be an good asset of the bench as that bruising big post scorer (at the 4 or 5) the opposite of a Baye Keita.
Hello! You have a player who has suited up and understands the system and he is going to be a good asset off the bench? :bat:

As far as Chris changing his mind (which I don't expect from everything I have read) but wasn't Wayne Selden of Kansas pretty much considered a one and done until his freshman year at KU didn't go quite as well as planned? I may be wrong about what Selden's expected potential was.

Just saw one of the DO guys tweet a quote from Boeheim's ACC conference call, confirming that DaJuan will not play at all this season.

User Actions
FollowJesse Dougherty‏@dougherty_jesse
Boeheim on DaJuan: "He's not going to play this year." And then confirms that he is officially not playing this year.
I feel sorry for DaJuan. He worked his butt off (almost literally) to be able to play this season. Hate to see that kind of an effort go unrewarded. I hope he gets a chance to play again next season and show everyone what he is capable of.

Diagne could play the 4 and back up Roberson. Bryant and Coleman share minutes at the 5.

Problem solved.

CMc should return, but if he wants to go, we won't miss him.

CMc should return, but if he wants to go, we won't miss him.

I am in this camp as well. Roberson and Gbinije are a pretty good forward combo for next year. Add Moustapha and junior BJ as backups and that's pretty solid.

I am in this camp as well. Roberson and Gbinije are a pretty good forward combo for next year. Add Moustapha and junior BJ as backups and that's pretty solid.
I think Mal will play the 3 as well, at least next year anyway - what with Cooney, Joseph, Howard and possibly Buss occupying the backcourt

The potential for our 2015-16 team really is outstanding, especially if DaJuan makes a healthy return.

- SOPH Joseph at PG, with JR Patterson & FR Howard (prob not getting much playing time, though) behind him - I would imagine Joseph shows nice improvement by then, as he physically has tools to be good/very good. Hopefully by next year he can run the offense well, score some, and limit turnovers. May take him until his 3rd year to really breakout, though.

- SR Cooney at SG, with FR Richardson behind him (hopefully getting playing time) - A senior Cooney is a big time asset to the team & he again would be one of top scorers/players. Richardson could be that "x-factor"/freshman star type player...a guy who can really shoot/score, IMO. Hope he would get some meaningful playing time, even with Cooney & others "ahead" of him.

- SR Gbinije at SF, with JR Johnson behind him (getting decent playing time) - A senior Gbinije is also a great asset to Syracuse. Since I expect Gbinije to continue to show flashes of becoming a very good player this year (capable of driving lane, shooting, scoring, assisting, rebounding at high level) and then really put it all together next year, I'm very optimistic about his future here the next 1.5 years. I would hope BJ would also be ready to begin making meaningful contributions by next year as well.

- JR Roberson at PF, with JR Chino & FR Diagne behind him (both prob not seeing too much playing time, though) - Similar to Gbinije, I expect Roberson to continue to trend upward this season, especially as a rebounder. By next year, Roberson could really be a force for Syracuse - putting up regular double-doubles (he almost is doing that now) & really impacting games (as he's beginning to do now).

- JR Coleman at C, with FR Bryant behind him (prob getting just enough playing time to spell DaJuan & show flashes of his potential, but prob not make ton of meaningful contributions as a Frosh big man) - DaJuan returning to team next year healthy & ready to go will be a game-changer, IMO. He should be ready to be a pretty good offensive threat for us & hopefully his time here will have improved his knowledge of where he needs to be on defense. He's always been a high level rebounder as well. Him & Roberson together would make a fantastic pair in terms of rebounding.

If DaJuan does return next year healthy & ready to go, and all we lose from this year's team is RAK & McCullough...Syracuse is a legit National Championship contender, IMO. That's a damn experienced & talented lineup/roster.