It's official / NBA talk re: Lydon | Syracusefan.com

It's official / NBA talk re: Lydon

Flacusian

All Conference
It's like putting out a carcass in the high noon sun... The buzzards are circling within minutes!

https://www.sny.tv/college-recruiti...ng-at-syracuse-freshman-tyler-lydon/158332294

Stay the hell away from our 2 diaper dandies ... sheesh, our program is still catching it's breath from the NCAA assault! His High School Coach issues assurances that Lydon will stick around Syracuse for a few years but... we all know how that can go.

Seriously, the logical progression of the past 10 years is that he should sign an agent today and refuse to play the rest of the season. His stock could only go down and/or he could get hurt by playing in more games. I 100% expect this to be his final year and Richardson's also for that matter.

It's like putting out a carcass in the high noon sun... The buzzards are circling within minutes!

https://www.sny.tv/college-recruiti...ng-at-syracuse-freshman-tyler-lydon/158332294

Stay the hell away from our 2 diaper dandies ... sheesh, our program is still catching it's breath from the NCAA assault! His High School Coach issues assurances that Lydon will stick around Syracuse for a few years but... we all know how that can go.

HEY! Agents! Leave our kids alone.

Oooh, this makes me so mad. In order not to give this despicable idea any more energy, I didn't read the article. So there!

I've decided to take a different approach this year and that is, to fully expect that Richardson and Lydon are gone at the end of the year. I've gone as far as to call them seniors when talking with my wife about the team. I've been wrong with just about every other player the last few years (i.e. Ennis, McC, Grant, etc.) so why not adopt a new approach. You all are very welcome. ;)

I really love what Lydon has done so far this year... he's mature beyond his years, very skilled and versatile. With that being said, I have a hard time figuring out what position he'd be in the NBA right now. He's not big enough or strong enough to play PF and I can't see him trying to match up with some of the Small Forwards in the NBA. Maybe it's wishful thinking on my part, but I really think he'd benefit by staying another year or two.

Looking at our team, the player who I definitely can see leaving early is Malachi. He has NBA Shooting Guard written all over him. He's got the size, shooting ability and he's shown the ability to attack off the bounce. He's kinda flown under the radar this year because each game there seems to be another player who has a great game, but Malachi has been extremely consistent the entire year. Like Lydon, he could stand to get stronger and work on his handle, but Malachi is definitely a player who will play in the NBA, IMO.

Honestly no need to worry now. Let's enjoy the year. If Lydon wants to get paid then he should go pro. I honestly don't believe he will this year as I don't see an NBA 1st round pick in him. However, if he gets a promise he should go pro and play professional basketball. These players owe us nothing more than the season they are playing.

I think Richardson has more NBA upside right now. Lydon needs to play stretch 4 next year. If we get to a FInal Four or Elite Eight this year and the players want to go then we got to support them.

JB's short rotation does give players more minutes to increase their values. Now it also helps recruit the next talents as well. I want to see an SU to NBA pipeline develop it helps recruiting.

Lydon is really something. It's no wonder NBA teams are doing their due diligence. It's early in the season, but based on a quick season finder search on collegebasketball reference, Tyler is one of 19 freshman since 1997 to average 10 more points/gm, 8 or more rebounds, and shoot better than 35% from 3. Since 2003, that list has included the likes of Kevin Looney, Durant, Love, Jabari Parker, Paul Millsap, Andrew Bogut, Chris Bosh, Anthony Bennett, and, Noah Vonleh. Of those who played in a P5 conference or similar (i.e. not counting Fordham) since 2003, only two stayed for more than a year: Ryan Anderson of UC (two season) and LaDontae Henderson of Providence (four seasons).

It's not surprising.

I don't think he goes this year, but Lydon's NBA potential is easy to see. He's an elite shooter, elite passer and he's elite as the screener in the pick and roll. I actually think him playing the 5, and not the 4 is improving his draft stock. GM's probably like his ability to play the 5 small ball roll.

Who knows maybe we get far in March this year. If the money is there go pro then.

Only reason I'd be slightly less upset if he were to leave after this year is we have Moyer and Chukwu coming in to shore up the frontcourt. Some are stating Chukwu will definitely start at the 5 and that there's no way Moyer wont' start. Well, that would create a bit of a logjam (yeah, first-world problems) at the 3-4 with Roberson cemented at the 4.
But yeah, TL is a tremendous talent I'd hate to lose after only 1 year - just making the point it wouldn't be disastrous if it were to happen

Well, that would create a bit of a logjam (yeah, first-world problems) at the 3-4 with Roberson cemented at the 4.
And that's the thing, isn't it? Seems like the last few seasons, the common refrain is: "Wait til next year, we'll be loaded!" only to have next year come and 1-3 players leave.

I really love what Lydon has done so far this year... he's mature beyond his years, very skilled and versatile. With that being said, I have a hard time figuring out what position he'd be in the NBA right now. He's not big enough or strong enough to play PF and I can't see him trying to match up with some of the Small Forwards in the NBA. Maybe it's wishful thinking on my part, but I really think he'd benefit by staying another year or two.

Looking at our team, the player who I definitely can see leaving early is Malachi. He has NBA Shooting Guard written all over him. He's got the size, shooting ability and he's shown the ability to attack off the bounce. He's kinda flown under the radar this year because each game there seems to be another player who has a great game, but Malachi has been extremely consistent the entire year. Like Lydon, he could stand to get stronger and work on his handle, but Malachi is definitely a player who will play in the NBA, IMO.
Agree with everything you said - I think right now he'd be a second round pick. The question is whether this would be enough for him to make the jump.

I don't think he goes this year, but Lydon's NBA potential is easy to see. He's an elite shooter, elite passer and he's elite as the screener in the pick and roll. I actually think him playing the 5, and not the 4 is improving his draft stock. GM's probably like his ability to play the 5 small ball roll.

Who knows maybe we get far in March this year. If the money is there go pro then.

I think he's a three / stretch four. No way he can be a four / small ball five in the NBA with his frame unless he gets on some serious PED cycles.

I do agree with you on shooting/passing/pnr ability. I also agree with him playing the 5 here is helping him get on the radar.

And people should NOT compare him to Draymond. Draymond is a very unique player. He's built like a damn fire hydrant and can hit a three. There is a reason why he can guard fives.

No matter what, I'm just going to enjoy Lydon and Malachi this year. If they stay, they stay. If not, I hope they become 10x all stars in the NBA and represent Cuse well.

Agree with everything you said - I think right now he'd be a second round pick. The question is whether this would be enough for him to make the jump.

One thing I'll be interested, whenever he goes, is how he'll do in the one on ones. I think he's someone that flourishes in the five on five environment, BUT, I think a guy that can get lift on his J at that height will let him do well in one on ones, too.

Hopefully the Knicks take him so I don't have to watch Derrick Williams anymore.

I think he's a three / stretch four. No way he can be a four / small ball five in the NBA with his frame unless he gets on some serious PED cycles.

I do agree with you on shooting/passing/pnr ability. I also agree with him playing the 5 here is helping him get on the radar.

And people should NOT compare him to Draymond. Draymond is a very unique player. He's built like a damn fire hydrant and can hit a three. There is a reason why he can guard fives.

No matter what, I'm just going to enjoy Lydon and Malachi this year. If they stay, they stay. If not, I hope they become 10x all stars in the NBA and represent Cuse well.

3 or 4 is probably accurate. He is the same height/weight as Harrison Barnes.

Another this to consider... early departures hurt all the elite programs. However, it would really hurt Syracuse due to the scholarship limitation. If we have a year that 2 players leave unexpectedly early and we have another player transfer (which is highly possible with Joseph at the end of this year), we'd be behind the 8-ball from a overall roster standpoint. If that happens to a team without a scholarship limit, that team would still have 10 scholarship players for the following year. If that happens to Syracuse at the end of this year, we'd be done to 8 scholarship players! That's a huge difference and I'd assume JB and Hopkins would have to try and get a JC transfer to fill the void.

Lydon comes from a different culture and a different set of needs as do most one and done's. How that will impact any decision he makes remains to be seen.

Another this to consider... early departures hurt all the elite programs. However, it would really hurt Syracuse due to the scholarship limitation. If we have a year that 2 players leave unexpectedly early and we have another player transfer (which is highly possible with Joseph at the end of this year), we'd be behind the 8-ball from a overall roster standpoint. If that happens to a team without a scholarship limit, that team would still have 10 scholarship players for the following year. If that happens to Syracuse at the end of this year, we'd be done to 8 scholarship players! That's a huge difference and I'd assume JB and Hopkins would have to try and get a JC transfer to fill the void.

Or one of the "5th year transfers" that other teams seem to be stocking up on. Those type of players should be especially attractive to us in our current degraded scholarship situation. They are instant players (no year of sitting) and are gone for sure after one year. Perfect quick fix for us if somebody bolts, or if we get a ship back like just happened.

Well I was also wrong on MCW, Ennis, Grant and McCullough. Obviously both freshmen have things they can improve on if they stay. I also think that Malachi is more likely since he fits into a protypical NBA role at the 2G. My gut says they both stay. If they do it will be interesting regarding Roberson and Moyer. If all 4 are here I see the starting forwards as Lydon and Roberson with Malachi moving to 2G. Moyer is 1st man off the bench along with whoever wins out in the Howard vs. KJ competition. Either way that would be a lot more depth than we have this year.

Last edited:
Lydon is good now but wait until he puts on some more weight. He won't last longer than 2 years in my opinion and I don't blame him