It's official / NBA talk re: Lydon | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

It's official / NBA talk re: Lydon

Solution: NCAA requires all athletes to play a minimum of 2 yrs in college before being eligible for the NBA.

Stop killing the college game!!
Its not a NCAA rule. Its an NBA rule that needs to change. Only way the NCAA could do something like this is to require payback of scholarship money received.

The NBA knows he his playing out of position when he is at the 5 due to our problems there. Lydon sure looks at least 6'9 to me. He is showing that he can fill out that frame already. Wide shoulders. He'll be a perfect NBA stretch 4 fit IMO by the time he gets there.

Lydon is really something. It's no wonder NBA teams are doing their due diligence. It's early in the season, but based on a quick season finder search on collegebasketball reference, Tyler is one of 19 freshman since 1997 to average 10 more points/gm, 8 or more rebounds, and shoot better than 35% from 3. Since 2003, that list has included the likes of Kevin Looney, Durant, Love, Jabari Parker, Paul Millsap, Andrew Bogut, Chris Bosh, Anthony Bennett, and, Noah Vonleh. Of those who played in a P5 conference or similar (i.e. not counting Fordham) since 2003, only two stayed for more than a year: Ryan Anderson of UC (two season) and LaDontae Henderson of Providence (four seasons).

It's not surprising.
Let's see what his numbers are at the end of the year before we make season long comparisons.

Ah c'mon man. Just because we haven't played an ACC game yet is no reason not to make some premature comparisons. If either of these kids leave it should mean SU had a fairly successful season.

We had a pretty terrible year last year and CMC still bolted (even after tearing his acl). For the record, if these freshman leave than so be it - I wish them well - I would love to see one or both stay but it is what it is. We do not need to have a good year for that to happen though. All the people suggesting these guys won't leave are the same people that said that about Ennis, CMC, Grant etc. wouldn't leave. Fool me once, shame on you...

That being said, I think of the two freashman (TL and MR), Lydon is more likely to return next year. His skills are great but could use the time to further develop his body. Richardson is a prototypical 2 in the NBA, I don't think he's a lotto pick (yet) but I do think he'd be a 1st round pick and a team would expect him to be a rotational 3 and D kind of player, with a chance to battle for a starting spot. If that appeals to him then he'll leave. He may decide he wants to come back and prove to NBA scouts that he is capable of being more than a rotational player (this is our only hope of him coming back - in my opinion).

Cue everyone telling me I'm an idiot

This is all nonsense.

The guy is talented but he's a toothpick.

Let me know when McCullough starts playing in the NBA.

Hopefully Lydon is smart enough not to go too early.

I think he'll stick around, Malachi on the other hand, not so sure. By no means do I think either of them are ready, but Malachi is a shot maker and those are coveted in the Association.

We had a pretty terrible year last year and CMC still bolted (even after tearing his acl). For the record, if these freshman leave than so be it - I wish them well - I would love to see one or both stay but it is what it is. We do not need to have a good year for that to happen though. All the people suggesting these guys won't leave are the same people that said that about Ennis, CMC, Grant etc. wouldn't leave. Fool me once, shame on you...

That being said, I think of the two freashman (TL and MR), Lydon is more likely to return next year. His skills are great but could use the time to further develop his body. Richardson is a prototypical 2 in the NBA, I don't think he's a lotto pick (yet) but I do think he'd be a 1st round pick and a team would expect him to be a rotational 3 and D kind of player, with a chance to battle for a starting spot. If that appeals to him then he'll leave. He may decide he wants to come back and prove to NBA scouts that he is capable of being more than a rotational player (this is our only hope of him coming back - in my opinion).

Cue everyone telling me I'm an idiot
You're not an idiot.

This is all nonsense.

The guy is talented but he's a toothpick.

Let me know when McCullough starts playing in the NBA.

Hopefully Lydon is smart enough not to go too early.
He'll start playing as soon as he is done rehabbing and is healthy. And he'll be a very nice NBA player.

Not saying it will be the difference maker but I think it could be a part of it.
JB needs shooters for next year and he knows it. He will be pushing for that. Battle taking all the jumpers at point guard while losing all four of our jump shooters and leading scorers is tough to swallow. I could imagine JB pushing extra hard for one of them to come back and Join Battle, Chuckwu and Roberson.

What about Paige over on UNC, or Valentine or Chris Dunn they were nba material last year. They could have made millions. Lydon and Malachi have a nice gentle unselfish team game going right now, compared to the all star mentality they had last season. Can't hurt to stick around and develop that more next year. Not to get into the same case we make every year but look at Noel and McCullough they had to do nothing but sit out 3/4 of a season to get drafted worst case scenerio. Look at these midmajor tournament teams with a legit star like the tall kid on butler or witchita state, they usually come back for a few years.

Last edited:
Why? Really, it doesn't impact anyone on this board if he stays or goes. College is to prepare you for a career. Of he wants to leave, good for him.

My point was, as a fanbase, it's much more exciting following a team when you know players will be around for a few years... look at the 80s/90s teams - that was basketball. I understand the NBA set the rule for 1 year of college time, but how exciting (and good) would our teams have been if the likes of Seikaly, Coleman, Owens, Washington, Douglas, Moten, Wallace, etc... decided to turn pro after freshman campaigns?

It doesn't impact anyone on this board? Ok, let's see Lydon pull a McCullough, get injured n decide to turn pro, and see how fast the upbeat tone turns sour on here, because SU wouldn't be 6-0 without him on the court, and quite possibly we'd be in store for an NIT year.

So first, I assume you meant your reply literally, in which case, no athlete anywhere directly impacts any fan (unless you are family and hope they make millions and you benefit from it). Second, many freshmen only see possible $$$ who decide to turn pro aren't anywhere near ready and wind up undrafted, cut, overseas or in the D league, only to fall off the map of relevancy in a few years. Third, what's the rush? Why bother attending college for the rule of one year? It's certainly not for education, or having a career to fall back on once since many flame out in a few years of pro ball. One year doesn't prepare you for anything other than trying to pad stats and boost your projection in the draft, and leaves the fan base hoping to land top recruits to fill the future voids, only to perpetuate the 1-n-done cycles of today, and leaves coaches scrambling to fill positions. And unless you are the Kentuckys n Dukes of the world, filling voids with exceptional talent every season doesn't just fall into your lap.

Did anyone even read the article? His AAU coach said he's the type of kid who would rather stay around and enjoy the college experience, and there is no mention at all of an NBA scout saying he should leave, etc. All it did say was he's the 21st ranked freshman

My point was, as a fanbase, it's much more exciting following a team when you know players will be around for a few years... look at the 80s/90s teams - that was basketball. Its still basketball. As fans, its fun to watch guys grow, but the players are not there for us to feel good. I understand the NBA set the rule for 1 year of college time, but how exciting (and good) would our teams have been if the likes of Seikaly, Coleman, Owens, Washington, Douglas, Moten, Wallace, etc... decided to turn pro after freshman campaigns? That was then, this is now. If they got to the Final Four,it would still be just as exciting.

It doesn't impact anyone on this board? Ok, let's see Lydon pull a McCullough, get injured n decide to turn pro, and see how fast the upbeat tone turns sour on here, because SU wouldn't be 6-0 without him on the court, and quite possibly we'd be in store for an NIT year. So what? Enjoy the guys we have.

So first, I assume you meant your reply literally, in which case, no athlete anywhere directly impacts any fan (unless you are family and hope they make millions and you benefit from it). Second, many freshmen only see possible $$$ who decide to turn pro aren't anywhere near ready and wind up undrafted, cut, overseas or in the D league, only to fall off the map of relevancy in a few years. So what? Third, what's the rush? Some kids want to play ball. Why did Taylor Swift not attend college? Why bother attending college for the rule of one year? You must, or you go overseas. Some kids don't want to do that. It's certainly not for education, or having a career to fall back on once since many flame out in a few years of pro ball. Why can't they go back to college once they are done. It all likelihood, the will do better academically. One year doesn't prepare you for anything other than trying to pad stats and boost your projection in the draft, and leaves the fan base hoping to land top recruits to fill the future voids, only to perpetuate the 1-n-done cycles of today, and leaves coaches scrambling to fill positions. So what. And unless you are the Kentuckys n Dukes of the world, filling voids with exceptional talent every season doesn't just fall into your lap. Again, so what?

And people should NOT compare him to Draymond. Draymond is a very unique player. He's built like a damn fire hydrant and can hit a three. There is a reason why he can guard fives.

I don't think the comparison is necessarily to Draymond Green, but more the role Draymond plays as a small ball 5. He has the tools, as has been mentioned, he lacks the size at this point to really bang down low with a regular NBA 5.

I think he won't get real serious looks until next year and he will have to spend the off season putting on lots of muscle. Everyone is looking at that Warriors small ball line up, and low level playoff teams will be looking hard at Lydon's skill set just outside the lottery.

I don't think the comparison is necessarily to Draymond Green, but more the role Draymond plays as a small ball 5. He has the tools, as has been mentioned, he lacks the size at this point to really bang down low with a regular NBA 5.

I think he won't get real serious looks until next year and he will have to spend the off season putting on lots of muscle. Everyone is looking at that Warriors small ball line up, and low level playoff teams will be looking hard at Lydon's skill set just outside the lottery.

I agree that staying until his second year makes sense.

But it just takes one or two teams to fall in love with a player and he's gone (and not even that sometimes).

I'll just enjoy it while we have him.

Seriously, the logical progression of the past 10 years is that he should sign an agent today and refuse to play the rest of the season. His stock could only go down and/or he could get hurt by playing in more games. I 100% expect this to be his final year and Richardson's also for that matter.

Kobe Bryant: $680 million
Tyler Ennis: $3 million

Tyler Lydon should stay in school as long as he can so he can maximize his draft position.

Lydon is good now but wait until he puts on some more weight. He won't last longer than 2 years in my opinion and I don't blame him

We all said Tyler Ennis needed more weight. He will get drafted on potential.