It's Refreshing... | Syracusefan.com

It's Refreshing...

HakAttack

Shirt World Hater, Script Jersey Lover.
...to have low expectations during a season. Call me crazy, but I'm enjoying this season more than any other in recent history. The weight of preseason top 5 expectations hung heavy over the regular season for me the last five years. Even when we got off to a historic winning streak to start the season last year, I was waiting for the other shoe to drop.

This season has allowed me to breathe a bit more. It's nice.

HakAttack said:
...to have low expectations during a season. Call me crazy, but I'm enjoying this season more than any other in recent history. The weight of preseason top 5 expectations hung heavy over the regular season for me the last five years. Even when we got off to a historic winning streak to start the season last year, I was waiting for the other shoe to drop. This season has allowed me to breathe a bit more. It's nice.

Well, if you mean knowing we'd lose this game after leading at the half, then expectations are certainly lower.

...to have low expectations during a season. Call me crazy, but I'm enjoying this season more than any other in recent history. The weight of preseason top 5 expectations hung heavy over the regular season for me the last five years. Even when we got off to a historic winning streak to start the season last year, I was waiting for the other shoe to drop.

I have not felt this way until after the Miami game. Now I am in the same state of mind as you are. At first it was tough to see the team so close to being able to win games but just not being able to make the needed plays down the stretch, but now it is much easier to deal with. A lot of people in the fanbase are going to absolutely implode when we go 1-8 or 1-9 in the period that started with Clemson. They're going to have to see a bigger picture than the next game or even this season. Unfortunately most will not be able to do it and it will be a rough time around here.

I'm glad that my feeling is that there's a lot more to College Sports than winning and losing.I feel sorry for people that feel that you have to win all the time.

If UNC is really #13, I'm not impressed with what it takes to get to #13 this year.

Bummed we lost because I thought we could win it, but I get where you're coming from. I try to ride the highs and just ignore the lows. Lot healthier that way for me, at least.

wait so you're saying its better to be mediocre than great because you don't care about winning as much? no matter how any of you try to rationalize any of it, winning is more fun than losing. this season allows you to breathe a little bit more? What are you talking about? losing sucks. we are supposed to be in our prime and making it show in the ACC, but we will be lucky to be .500, and sanctions are looming. another year or two, JB could be gone and then all bets are off, do you guys understand that? it could all be gone if Hopkins stinks, imagine the dome with 10k. but you are having fun watching losses. great perspective.

wait so you're saying its better to be mediocre than great because you don't care about winning as much? no matter how any of you try to rationalize any of it, winning is more fun than losing. this season allows you to breathe a little bit more? What are you talking about? losing sucks. we are supposed to be in our prime and making it show in the ACC, but we will be lucky to be .500, and sanctions are looming. another year or two, JB could be gone and then all bets are off, do you guys understand that? it could all be gone if Hopkins stinks, imagine the dome with 10k. but you are having fun watching losses. great perspective.
Not everyone wants to jump off a ledge after every loss. People have different ways of dealing with things.

Way to twist my words around. And step away from the ledge dude. It's not that serious. Clearly you're at the Anger stage in the five stages of grief. Some of us are already at acceptance.

If UNC is really #13, I'm not impressed with what it takes to get to #13 this year.

Bummed we lost because I thought we could win it, but I get where you're coming from. I try to ride the highs and just ignore the lows. Lot healthier that way for me, at least.
The top analytic rankers actually have UNC #9 or #10. Maybe it's a function of us being slightly more craptastic than we think. Slightly

I'm not going to jump off a ledge. I realize there are more important things in life. And I think we will be better next year. But I had a lot more fun watching us last year (and most years) when we had the chance to make a deep tourney run. Yes, my expectations are lower this year, but that doesn't make me any happier.

This is how I felt going into this season. Currently this team is doing 1 or 2 more losses more than I expected. My hope is we finish out a little stronger. What surprise Christmas has been (22 pts 12 rbs last night). As I said, unfortunately, the best story about this season will be Christmas getting drafted by the NBA in the first round (hopefully early or middle first round).

As far as next year is concerned, who knows where the team will be. We have had a pipeline of strong guard play for 5 years straight (Rautins, Triche, Scoop, Waiters, MCW, TE) up until this year. I think most fans were expecting too much from Kaleb. Next year Cooney, G, Kaleb, RP, and Malachi will be a much stronger group. Howard may redshirt because of PT. Maybe Howard is a much stronger player than I imagine. So maybe he'll play.

I think next year without Christmas we will struggle at his position. CMac still may enter the NBA draft this spring. Even if we get Bryant it takes a year or two to play the pivotal center position in the 2-3 zone. Defense is much easier to learn. Making shots on offense seems to always be our perennial problem. Maybe with Malachi we will finally have a credible consistent outside threat.

I think Kaleb has a good chance to make the sophomore leap next year. He will have one year under his belt and he's got a really great workout ethic. I imagine Kaleb spending huge amounts of hours in the gym leading up to next season. He will be stronger and more experienced. Kaleb could certainly return next year and be great offensive weapon.

This is just a down year. The Orange juggernaut will return back to its full glory very soon!

I don't mean this as a joke whatsoever... it's the truest thing I know (and maybe it's the engineer in me that makes it make sense but it's not all that abstract).

Happiness = Reality ÷ Expectations

In other words, the higher your expectations, the better your reality has to be to make you happy. With lower expectations, the less your reality needs to achieve to make you happy. This is a time proven theorum and is basic human nature.

I can't say that the losing is getting easier. I still can't sleep on the nights after losses.

One thing thing that I can say is that I like this team just as much as some of our more successful teams. Rak is having an historic season. Mike and Trevor are developing into solid players and TRob's development over the year has been fun to watch. And I still love the guys who are struggling. Watching BJ bobble the ball out of bounds felt like watching my own kid striking out. I just want to see him succeed, just for his own sake. So I can't say that my fandom has waned at all.

Here's my bold prediction for the season: We're going to knock off at least one of the highly ranked ACC teams this year. We've had too many bounces go the other way the season. Our turn is coming.

I really like this team. I wish we had more depth, but it is what it is. We've been spoiled for a few years, and with recruiting we thought it would continue. Unexpected early departures and injuries have made this a "down" season. Still love the effort. Love how Rak has become the man (and it matters to me that he graduated early and seems like a good kid), how Cooney has not withered due to expectations or failures, and like that silent G is taking some leadership. I love TRob - wish he'd just smoothly shoot those open shots instead of thinking so much. Heck even KJ is getting better. If you think about it, all we heard was how him running the point would mean more up and down tempo and aggressive play on offense - I think he heard it too and started out going 100 mph and out of control. He has improved, and he'll learn where/when to pick his spots. I understand the OP's thinking.

I don't mean this as a joke whatsoever... it's the truest thing I know (and maybe it's the engineer in me that makes it make sense but it's not all that abstract).

Happiness = Reality ÷ Expectations

In other words, the higher your expectations, the better your reality has to be to make you happy. With lower expectations, the less your reality needs to achieve to make you happy. This is a time proven theorum and is basic human nature.
9b4c5146e6cd2feeaa2067cb08cd0987076663267b84f939f51e29e2b966bdd4.jpg

I really like this team. I wish we had more depth, but it is what it is. We've been spoiled for a few years, and with recruiting we thought it would continue. Unexpected early departures and injuries have made this a "down" season. Still love the effort. Love how Rak has become the man (and it matters to me that he graduated early and seems like a good kid), how Cooney has not withered due to expectations or failures, and like that silent G is taking some leadership. I love TRob - wish he'd just smoothly shoot those open shots instead of thinking so much. Heck even KJ is getting better. If you think about it, all we heard was how him running the point would mean more up and down tempo and aggressive play on offense - I think he heard it too and started out going 100 mph and out of control. He has improved, and he'll learn where/when to pick his spots. I understand the OP's thinking.

Agreed. Like you said, kids leaving early (combined with injuries) have caught up with us. But I don't think anyone is slacking off. And thanks for reminding us Rak graduated early. It shows that being a student doesn't make you any less committed to being an athlete.

. A lot of people in the fanbase are going to absolutely implode when we go 1-8 or 1-9 in the period that started with Clemson. They're going to have to see a bigger picture than the next game or even this season. Unfortunately most will not be able to do it and it will be a rough time around here.
If we go 1-8 or 1-9 and neither BJ Johnson or Obokoh get any meaningful playing time it will be a flagrantly wasted opportunity to improve the team for next season.

Well, I flip out far less during the games. But I also get excited far less during the games. I just kinda sit and watch and expect us to lose to any good team we play.

It sucks, but I accepted it early on in the season that it would be a struggle for this team to win much.

If we go 1-8 or 1-9 and neither BJ Johnson or Obokoh get any meaningful playing time it will be a flagrantly wasted opportunity to improve the team for next season.
I get the feeling we are recruiting over both these guys. My prediction is that at least one transfers. And yes, it could be Obokoh even though he already lost one year of eligibility (although I think he appeals).

this premise is unreal. I personally have hated this year more than any in recent memory. who would rather root for a bubble team over a 25-0 team?
I've personally rooted for more than 40 SU basketball teams in my time and have enjoyed watching every season unfold in some way. They're my team, for better or worse.

People's reactions to my original post are unreal. I didn't say I would rather have this year's team over any from the past five, all I meant to say was that it's actually refreshing to have a down year because of the pressure that comes with being a Final Four contender every year since 2010.

I never said about rooting more for this year, all I meant to say was that it's refreshing because I know how this season's going to turn out. I don't need to invest as much crazy hyped up energy to be on the edge of my seat because we actually might win a championship, like any year from 10'-15'.

The people who get it in this thread, get it and have already accepted the fate of this year's team. I dare say the people that didn't understand (note, I didn't say agree with) my original post are ones that are still bitter and/or angry about the fact that we're having a down year.

Some of you have been so spoiled by the last five years you're struggling to gain any perspective about this year at all. I was a student and got two degrees at SU from 04-09'. This year was the norm back then. The furthest we got in the six years I was there was two sweet 16s, my first year in 03-04' and my last in 08-09'. So I'm used to what this year has brought so far.

Again, it's no big deal to me. Doesn't make me any less of a fan. I'm still at every home game. My expectations are just lowered so the losing doesn't bother me as much.

And furthermore, if you can't still find joy and something to enjoy about the teams that are on the "underachieving" end of our program's spectrum, then you need to work on your fandom. The people that have been enjoying Rak's dominance this year, or enjoying Cooney's emergence, etc, get it. Good for them.

The rest of you, go root for the Yankees or Kentucky.