It's your move, Syverud | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

It's your move, Syverud

I completely understand how everyone believes that Syverud has a lot on his plate right now and may not be seeing the demand for his complete attention to the football program at this point. Really hard to tell what he truly thinks of the Athletics department or its future right now. I also understand its very unlikely any major changes happen anytime soon only because SU historically finds the cheapest way out of everything they do.

But truth is, when the highest paid employee at your company turns in a historically bad performance. You should be looking into this. If I just paid someone 1.7 million for that outcome, I'd be concerned and I'm not nearly as smart as Mr. Syverud.

I completely understand how everyone believes that Syverud has a lot on his plate right now and may not be seeing the demand for his complete attention to the football program at this point. Really hard to tell what he truly thinks of the Athletics department or its future right now. I also understand its very unlikely any major changes happen anytime soon only because SU historically finds the cheapest way out of everything they do.

But truth is, when the highest paid employee at your company turns in a historically bad performance. You should be looking into this. If I just paid someone 1.7 million for that outcome, I'd be concerned and I'm not nearly as smart as Mr. Syverud.
$1.4

Show us how much Syracuse University cares about their football program being successful.

And because I am sure he Syverud does care, he will make decisions on what's best overall over the next five-to-ten years...and not do a damn thing about Shafer at the end of the 2014 season.

Not a good last 24 hours for Doc Gross with the Jensen and Q news hitting. Based on how he responded after the #1 party school news, I don't think Syverud is going to like the continued negative press coming from the SUAD. The Jensen news is particular disturbing because his hire is all on Gross and it sounds like oversight was lacking until the complaints started.

Money…Money…Money….Mo..Ney…. It has been already posted on this site the salary of all the ACC coaches and Shafer and Syracuse is at the bottom. If we want to get the "Big Name Coach" we are going to have to pay big money!! Money that we do not have…and or are unwilling to pay. The sooner we accept that fact, the sooner we can temper our expectations concerning coaches and be Ok with with the the type of Head Coaches that have been hired of late. Look what Misssissippi just did to protect their coach from Florida.

Sources told ESPN.com that the new multiyear extension will raise Freeze's salary to an average of $4.5 million per season, and it also includes raises for his assistants. Sources told ESPN's Joe Schad that the extension is for four years.

The 45-year-old Freeze had been making $3 million per season.

Shafer makes less than 1.5 Million!

Sure he does.
i think so as well. however, it exposed his immaturity, and the fact he should temper what he says publicly including his wide open fast pace offense. casullo was a apparently a loose canon and had unspecified conflicts with marrone---but he never shot his mouth off about them--or bragged about what his st would do.

I don't think it takes a rocket scientist to figure out that a winning football program will make more money than anything else in the AD. Every other school in the country has figured it out so I am guessing - just guessing mind you- that Syverud has figured that out as well. The question is what is willing to do about it.

The Chancellor has several choices.
  1. Hire his own AD. Not an unreasonable thing to do.
  2. Hire an outside consultant.
  3. Give new marching orders to TGD.
  4. Do nothing. While FB is certainly not his top priority, he is not likely to ignore it as it is simply too big.
I would bet on 1 or 2.

Money that we do not have…and or are unwilling to pay. The sooner we accept that fact, the sooner we can temper our expectations concerning coaches and be Ok with with the the type of Head Coaches that have been hired of late.
Stop with this crap. Syracuse can (and in the past has) offer(ed) more. What part of "an inexperienced rookie head coach doesn't warrant a higher salary" don't you understand? Simply paying HCSS more isn't going to bring better results.

The next time that the position becomes available during the normal coaching carousel period (Thanksgiving-Christmas) and an experienced head coach is selected, you will see that SU can pay the market rate. It will all depend on the candidate(s) in play at that time.

Stop with this crap. Syracuse can (and in the past has) offer(ed) more. What part of "an inexperienced rookie head coach doesn't warrant a higher salary" don't you understand? Simply paying HCSS more isn't going to bring better results.

The next time that the position becomes available during the normal coaching carousel period (Thanksgiving-Christmas) and an experienced head coach is selected, you will see that SU can pay the market rate. It will all depend on the candidate(s) in play at that time.
Crap? who says it is crap? When it comes to money, the old sayings : put your money where your mouth is…and put up or shut up, speak truth. The evidence says that Syracuse does not pay big money to it's coaches compared with the schools we all want to emulate. I never said pay Shafer more money, I am just stating the facts. Posters are calling for big names and criticizing the recent choices for head coach in favor of…these"big name" candidates. You've stated we offered more in the past, well if true, then they turned us down, so even with money, we can't get who we want. It is obvious why we have hired…who we have hired. No one seems to want to acknowledge that. When Cuse signs a coach for 3 million a season, then, I will believe we have the money to pay.

Last edited:
Crap? who says it is crap? When it comes to money, the old sayings : put your money where your mouth is…and put up or shut up, speak truth. The evidence says that Syracuse does not pay big money to it's coaches compared with the schools we all want to emulate. I never said pay Shafer more money, I am just stating the facts. Posters are calling for big names and criticizing the recent choices for head coach in favor of…these"big name" candidates. You've stated we offered more in the past, well if true, then they turned us down, so even with money, we can't get who we want. It is obvious why we have hired…who we have hired. No one seems to want to acknowledge that. When Cuse signs a coach for 3 million a season, then, I will believe we have the money to pay.
We seem to do it in every other sport.

I say it's crap. You're spewing falsities as if they're fact. Don't worry, you're not alone. Others around these parts are doing the same thing.

SU offered market rates to experienced D1 coaches at the time of the FHCDM hire. Neither DM nor SS had any head coaching experience, hence they were/are at the lower end of the HC salary spectrum.

If DM had left a month sooner then there would've been time for a proper search. If an experienced coach were given the job instead of SS then he would've been paid a fair salary commensurate with his experience.

I say it's crap. You're spewing falsities as if they're fact. Don't worry, you're not alone. Others around these parts are doing the same thing.

SU offered market rates to experienced D1 coaches at the time of the FHCDM hire. Neither DM nor SS had any head coaching experience, hence they were/are at the lower end of the HC salary spectrum.

If DM had left a month sooner then there would've been time for a proper search. If an experienced coach were given the job instead of SS then he would've been paid a fair salary commensurate with his experience.

I agree with this up to a point...

If Shafer were fired tomorrow and say Nick Saban, Urban Meyer, Bo Pelini, Les Miles, Hugh Freeze etc, etc., were all available...Would SU even be in the market if the only qualifier were pay? My guess is No. So don't go out and say we will pay market rate for a top tier coach with HC experience because we wouldn't even speak to these coaches because of their pay requirements.

And these guys are all pretty much worth what they get paid, we would still NOT be looking at a top tier HC, we would be looking at 2nd tier and possibly third tier HC because we can't afford the top. And if you are "taking a chance" on a 2nd tier or 3rd tier HC, then honestly why not "take a chance" and pay an up and coming assistant coordinator less money because neither is guaranteed success. You are still "taking a chance" with either.

I agree with this up to a point...
So don't go out and say we will pay market rate for a top tier coach with HC experience
I never said anything about a "top tier" coach. We all know that SU can't/won't pay $5M just for the HC. I'm disputing the opinion expressed by you and others that SU will only pay bottom dollar. SU was prepared in the past, and will be again, to pay the going rate for an experienced D1 head coach. Think somewhere in the middle of the ACC pack instead of "top tier".

I never said anything about a "top tier" coach. We all know that SU can't/won't pay $5M just for the HC. I'm disputing the opinion expressed by you and others that SU will only pay bottom dollar. SU was prepared in the past, and will be again, to pay the going rate for an experienced D1 head coach. Think somewhere in the middle of the ACC pack instead of "top tier".
I have no idea what SU is willing to pay, but the ante is going up and by next year it will be close to $3 million for an experienced HC. Saint Doug aside, we have to be careful not to be viewed as a career killing program by candidates in the future.Personally, I think a new stadium is about the only thing SU can do to change perceptions. If NYS will foot the bill and SU can lease the facility, the buzz would be fantastic and we might have a window to jump start a real revitalization of the program. THEN, we might get some good candidates to pay attention.

If SU becomes a place where coaches can win and advance their careers, you can get good HC candidates. This boils down to support from the administration and the opportunity to find success. A rising HC wants to go to a place where they have the tools to win and draw the attention of bigger college programs or the NFL. Tuberville broke the mold, but that's what Cincy had going for them -Dantonio, Kelly, and Jones.

The Dome isn't a negative (attendance might be) because as others have clearly stated, it would allow an offensive coach ideal conditions. You have to invest in other areas which would have a greater impact on the program. The IPF is a good start, but it needs to continue to other areas. Recruits who will win games for you are not looking at uniforms, they want a place where they can develop into a NFL player. That means coaches and support staff who prepare them, and who do the things that get you noticed by NFL teams.

Investments in these areas, along with better marketing and promotion to fill the Dome, are all better uses of money than building a brand-new stadium, or paying one guy more money.

I have no idea what SU is willing to pay, but the ante is going up and by next year it will be close to $3 million for an experienced HC. Saint Doug aside, we have to be careful not to be viewed as a career killing program by candidates in the future.Personally, I think a new stadium is about the only thing SU can do to change perceptions. If NYS will foot the bill and SU can lease the facility, the buzz would be fantastic and we might have a window to jump start a real revitalization of the program. THEN, we might get some good candidates to pay attention.
Hate to re-open an old, stale debate, but. . .

The Carrier Dome is what makes SU athletics stand out. A building like the new Minnesota stadium is in no way remarkable.

I hope the plans call for a 21st-century updating of the Dome, and the SU athletics program can prosper for the next 30+ years.

Last edited:
Hate to re-open an old, stale debate, but. . .

The Carrier Dome is what makes SU athletics stand out. A building like the new Minnesota stadium is is no way remarkable.

I hope the plans call for a 21st-century updating of the Dome, and the SU athletics program can prosper for the next 30+ years.
I have no problem with the Dome and I would be happy either way. However, I believe the admin would rather have that spot for other buildings. Moreover, if the state will foot the bill that is something that TGC (the good chancellor) would probably like.

My only point is that a renovation of the dome would not be that great for football going forward. Tailgating spots will continue to evaporate and a new retractable roof stadium with parking and tailgating areas would be great for the program.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom