It's your move, Syverud | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

It's your move, Syverud

If SU becomes a place where coaches can win and advance their careers, you can get good HC candidates. This boils down to support from the administration and the opportunity to find success. A rising HC wants to go to a place where they have the tools to win and draw the attention of bigger college programs or the NFL. Tuberville broke the mold, but that's what Cincy had going for them -Dantonio, Kelly, and Jones.

The Dome isn't a negative (attendance might be) because as others have clearly stated, it would allow an offensive coach ideal conditions. You have to invest in other areas which would have a greater impact on the program. The IPF is a good start, but it needs to continue to other areas. Recruits who will win games for you are not looking at uniforms, they want a place where they can develop into a NFL player. That means coaches and support staff who prepare them, and who do the things that get you noticed by NFL teams.

Investments in these areas, along with better marketing and promotion to fill the Dome, are all better uses of money than building a brand-new stadium, or paying one guy more money.
Better marketing and promotions will do very little. Winning will.

I say it's crap. You're spewing falsities as if they're fact. Don't worry, you're not alone. Others around these parts are doing the same thing.

SU offered market rates to experienced D1 coaches at the time of the FHCDM hire. Neither DM nor SS had any head coaching experience, hence they were/are at the lower end of the HC salary spectrum.

If DM had left a month sooner then there would've been time for a proper search. If an experienced coach were given the job instead of SS then he would've been paid a fair salary commensurate with his experience.
The problem is two fold: A case of who came first, the chicken or the egg? Here are the facts: We have hired three coaches in a row without any head coaching experience. Whatever Big named, experienced coaches we may have made offers to…did not accept. Those are the facts. Look what Florida just did…in less than a week, they had the coach they wanted in spite of a $7.5 million dollar buyout on top of his salary…in less than a week….and we can't get not one head coach with previous experience in three tries. Don't tell me the lack of money…or the lack of desire to spend big money is not part of the problem. The other aspect of the problem is: Good coaches with head coaching experience do not want to come to Syracuse; we might be able to circumvent that truth…if we were willing to "OVER Pay" for the Guy!

The problem is two fold: A case of who came first, the chicken or the egg? Here are the facts: We have hired three coaches in a row without any head coaching experience. Whatever Big named, experienced coaches we may have made offers to…did not accept. Those are the facts. Look what Florida just did…in less than a week, they had the coach they wanted in spite of a $7.5 million dollar buyout on top of his salary…in less than a week….and we can't get not one head coach with previous experience in three tries. Don't tell me the lack of money…or the lack of desire to spend big money is not part of the problem. The aspect of the problem is: Good coaches with head coaching experience do not want to come to Syracuse; we might be able to circumvent that truth…if we were willing to "OVER Pay" for the Guy!
I am not so sure that SU was willing to pay what was required. The failure to close IMO was most likely over money. The ACC certainly changes things for an up and coming HC in a lesser conference. Remember, a good jog here will tun heads just as it did for Saint Doug.

I am not so sure that SU was willing to pay what was required. The failure to close IMO was most likely over money. The ACC certainly changes things for an up and coming HC in a lesser conference. Remember, a good jog here will tun heads just as it did for Saint Doug.
Saint Doug of Orange built the Saints Superbowl winning offense and would have gotten a NFL head coaching job as he was on everybody's short list .

I agree. I think we are in a better position now with the ACC money than we were back in the Big East Days. I also think as a member of the ACC with it's Power 5 conference clout, we are more attractive to an experienced coach. Having said that, I still believe, as I have stated over and over again, the lack of money or the desire to pay big money is why we ended up with the Head coaches that we have had these last 3 trips.

CousCuse said:
Saint Doug of Orange built the Saints Superbowl winning offense and would have gotten a NFL head coaching job as he was on everybody's short list .
Built is a stretch

Millhouse said:
Built is a stretch

Yeah, I'm sure Sean Payton was thinking if I could just find someone to build me an offense, I might be considered pretty good at this NFL head coach thing.

Don't disagree but being a HC made him more attractive.

.Personally, I think a new stadium is about the only thing SU can do to change perceptions. If NYS will foot the bill and SU can lease the facility, the buzz would be fantastic and we might have a window to jump start a real revitalization of the program. THEN, we might get some good candidates to pay attention.

Unfortunately that ship has sailed. Thanks to the knucklehead mayor. Oh Lord

Unfortunately that ship has sailed. Thanks to the knucklehead mayor. Oh Lord
I seriously doubt it. The state has a $6 billion windfall and if the Gov wants it done the Mayor won't be able to stop it. At the end of the day, cities and towns are creatures of the state. If they can't cut a deal that makes everyone happy, they will just steamroll her.

I seriously doubt it. The state has a $6 billion windfall and if the Gov wants it done the Mayor won't be able to stop it. At the end of the day, cities and towns are creatures of the state. If they can't cut a deal that makes everyone happy, they will just steamroll her.
You are behind the times. The offer was there, she said no.

The Syracuse football job is considered one of the worst of all power 5 jobs. Money, or the lack of a committment by the higher ups to spend it, is definitely an issue. However it is far from the only one. Lousy recruiting base, tepid fan support are just two others. For many reasons it is considered a very difficult place to win.

You are behind the times. The offer was there, she said no.
If you recall she was not even consulted. The Gov was working with the County. At the last minute she got involved and wanted to hold up the Gov for sewers and jobs for her union buddies. She set up a commission to study it and TGC and County Exec decided not to participate. Then SU announced they had their own study. The County got that performance center. If the Gov and SU want it no Mayor is going to stop it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom