I've Tried to Give Him The Benefit of the Doubt... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I've Tried to Give Him The Benefit of the Doubt...

Status
Not open for further replies.
What year is Cooney and what year are those two?
right, because nothing can be expected of freshmen. Free pass even if they play like utter crappola!

Lydon/Richardson pretty much 0-fer (past two games, really) and it's Cooney getting sh@t upon
I love ya Pearl but Cooney is a 5th year senior and those toe other guys are first semester Freshman. That is a major difference. Cooney hasn't improved from 2013 to now. He is the same guy that is frustrating. Look at G's development.

I love ya Pearl but Cooney is a 5th year senior and those toe other guys are first semester Freshman. That is a major difference. Cooney hasn't improved from 2013 to now. He is the same guy that is frustrating. Look at G's development.
hey don't get me wrong, I agree that Cooney should be better this year as a 5YS than he's shown so far, but I'm just saying that if you want to pinpoint where the team's offensive woes reside it's with the 2 freshmen. It's fair, after what they've already shown what they're capable of, to expect them to contribute significantly more than they have these last two games.
You're being disingenuous if you say those two haven't been disappointing vs Wisc and gt - and if you say they aren't the main reason for the offensive problems we've had.

The biggest frustration with Cooney is the number of god awful shots he puts up - if they counted those types of shots as turnovers, he'd probably be the all time leader at Syracuse in that category. Good kid who has always worked hard. But how in the world is he still taking those terrible shots in his 5th year?! Wish the coaching staff would yank him and give him the What treatment - but that's not going to happen and we'll just to live with the bad along with the good with TC.

Cooney put the nail into the coffin today with the bad three off a curl (down ten), then a deep attempt that wasn't close two possessions later.

I'm not sure why it isn't universally accepted among Syracusefan.com fans that a) this kid is a low-percentage shooter and b) he takes very low-percentage shots at inopportune times.

Head-scratching decisions from a senior.

And the stupid posts continue.

Cooney 3-8 from three today.

Malachi 1-8 and 0-5 from three. 3 for 20 the last 3 games from outside, but he will be a nba player someday and its cooneys fault. Lydon doing absolutely nothing for the first half.

Cooney 0-3 inside the arc today though, some games hes going to score inside others not.

hey don't get me wrong, I agree that Cooney should be better this year as a 5YS than he's shown so far, but I'm just saying that if you want to pinpoint where the team's offensive woes reside it's with the 2 freshmen. It's fair, after what they've already shown what they're capable of, to expect them to contribute significantly more than they have these last two games.
You're being disingenuous if you say those two haven't been disappointing vs Wisc and gt - and if you say they aren't the main reason for the offensive problems we've had.
Richardson was awful and expected to contribute. Lydon had little expectations.
I don't blame him iota.
Cooney is hurting the team on offense. He is easy to defend.

Malachi 1-8 and 0-5 from three. 3 for 20 the last 3 games from outside, but he will be a nba player someday and its cooneys fault. Lydon doing absolutely nothing for the first half.

Cooney 0-3 inside the arc today though, some games hes going to score inside others not.
If Richardson is doing this in 2 years at Syracuse and not in the NBA then he will get his criticism.
We are talking about a 5 the year Senior.

If Richardson is doing this in 2 years at Syracuse and not in the NBA then he will get his criticism.

We can all sit here and bash cooney all day. Hes not going to shoot a great fg percentage some games deal with it.
11 shots is fine. 9 points on 11 fg attempts not all that bad. Its alot better then 2 points on 8.

But again, we're talking about why the offense hasn't scored like it did in Bahamas - Cooney is essentially replicating now why he did then - Lydon and especially Mal meanwhile have given us absolutely nothing. Maybe they don't deserve to be skewered or anything like that, but the non-production of those two is the issue right now

When you're essentially saying that "some day the 5th-year senior who starts for Syracuse is going to miss all his layups and some days he's not," that's an enormous problem.

When you're essentially saying that "some day the 5th-year senior who starts for Syracuse is going to miss all his layups and some days he's not," that's an enormous problem.

And when you say we have limited post up and high post driving game and expect to get all our drives from the perimeter where teams will take charges thats a bigger one.

We can all sit here and bash cooney all day. Hes not going to shoot a great fg percentage some games deal with it.
11 shots is fine. 9 points on 11 fg attempts not all that bad. Its alot better then 2 points on 8.

It's awful. Both are awful. Less than 1 point per shot is awful.

And that's not even the beginning of the criticism; the larger point is that a 5th-year player has to know time and situation and his own abilities and make good decisions. No one can look at Cooney's shot selection and say that. He attempts shots that he has virtually no chance to make.

11 shots is fine. 9 points on 11 fg attempts not bad all that bad. Its alot better then 2 points on 8.
He clogs the floor on offense at a position you need offense from. Espiecally when you have little post offense to begin with.
When Cooney is on the floor we are playing 4 vs. 4 and then if Richardson struggles and our center can't shoot the D can shut us down.
He plays all the minutes that hurts us.

And when you say we have limited post up and high post driving game and expect to get all our drives from the perimeter where teams will take charges thats a bigger one.

I don't think our post game is less effective than Cooney at the rim. I agree that charges are a concern (and, frankly, a coin flip with these goofballs in stripes)...and that's yet another reason why Cooney's a liability careening toward the rim.

I don't think that is entirely true. Cooney used to have no inside game, now he can score in the paint. Also he is capable of good defense, getting steals. Maybe not this game. The problem is he was expected to be the next GMac from day 1. Even GMac was inconsistent from 3.

I don't think our post game is less effective than Cooney at the rim. I agree that charges are a concern (and, frankly, a coin flip with these goofballs in stripes)...and that's yet another reason why Cooney's a liability careening toward the rim.

We have no post up threat. I would say its a problem. Dajuan got his today off drive and dish transition points.

Cooney put the nail into the coffin today with the bad three off a curl (down ten), then a deep attempt that wasn't close two possessions later.

I'm not sure why it isn't universally accepted among Syracusefan.com fans that a) this kid is a low-percentage shooter and b) he takes very low-percentage shots at inopportune times.

Head-scratching decisions from a senior.
That curl has a 15% success rate. You really don't see the NBA execute it that well. Someone needs to tell him put that on the shelf. He is 6-4 , the fall-backs and curls should be minimal. But then again the last two games his drives turn into missed fall-aways. I think if you starting giving 10 of Cooney's and 10 of Malachi's minutes to Frank, we will like the results.

Cooney was never expected to be Gerry.
GMac played PG and was running the offense.
Cooney has been a 2 guard his whole career and never expected to run the offense.
Cooney clogs out offense by being easy to defend.

We have no post up threat. I would say its a problem. Dajuan got his today off drive and dish transition points.

I agree; we're weak down there. Coleman's showed no post game (awesome today with his garbage points, though); Lydon's made a couple buckets with his back to the basket but it's not a fixture yet.

Based on what I've seen, that's about as effective as Cooney is around the rim: not very.

Lydon/Richardson pretty much 0-fer (past two games, really) and it's Cooney getting sh@t upon
Cooney played bad to start the year, then played great in Atlantis, then bad the last two.

Lydons first half (and long stretches of Wisconsin) he looked like he forgot how to hoop. Mali is taking tough shots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxfan516

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom